Emergency- Hydrometer Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tucker76

Reaction score
Help , just went to check my brew after a week, checked it last night - 1.010, Tonight- Hydrometer sunk like a brick. Tried testing in water same result.

Anyone had this experience,its the one supplied with Coopers DIYBEER BOX.

Never.... you need a newy!
I'd let it sit until you can get hands on a new one. Dont bottle/keg until you know for sure.
It can sit in the fermenter for a couple of weeks if needs be (in fact it will probably improve your result by leaving it on the yeast).

Good luck!

Help , just went to check my brew after a week, checked it last night - 1.010, Tonight- Hydrometer sunk like a brick. Tried testing in water same result.

Never.... you need a newy!
I'd let it sit until you can get hands on a new one. Dont bottle/keg until you know for sure.
It can sit in the fermenter for a couple of weeks if needs be (in fact it will probably improve your result by leaving it on the yeast).

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, i think (hope) its fuckded for sure

Contact Coopers customer service. Other people have also had problems with the supplied hydrometer, and Coopers have replaced the product for them.

Contact Coopers customer service. Other people have also had problems with the supplied hydrometer, and Coopers have replaced the product for them.

I just shot them an e-mail, would it be ok to leave my brew in the fermenter meantime or should i buy a Hydrometer.

if it's any help my one of my brews has been in the FV for 2 weeks now and wont be bottled till friday...

you should be OK

:icon_cheers:

[edit] if you are like me however, you will go out and be back in 10 mins with a new hydrometer and then order a refractometer from ebay.. :D

Leave for at least 2 weeks in the fermenter, best not to go past 4 weeks. Although I have done so coz i'm lazy.

if it's any help my one of my brews has been in the FV for 2 weeks now and wont be bottled till friday...

you should be OK

[edit] if you are like me however, you will go out and be back in 10 mins with a new hydrometer and then order a refractometer from ebay.. :D

i think i will leave it and wait till my good friends at Coopers ship me a new one- i'm as tight as hens face mate

I have used the plastic hydro from the coopers FIT kit and found mine reading 0.004 lower than it should iirc. I threw it away. Never trust a plastic hydrometer.

New glass hydrometer will cost you less than $15- at any brew place.
But i'd hit Coopers up for a new one for sure.
As long as you dont open your ferm to have a peak it is safe and sound with a Co2 blanket for a couple of weeks.

i'm also using one of the coopers hydrometer and just checked my SG, got a reading of 1.002...it seems really low, it's an IPA with an OG of 1.048, is this anything to worry about? It smells pretty good and i can't see any signs of infection. Come to think of it i have dropped it on the ground once, don't know how sturdy these things are..

I have had some of my kits and bits in the fermenter for 4 weeks before (Put it in the week before I went on holidays, and was away for 3 weeks).

They have all been fine.

As long as you have good temp control, and good sanitation, you will be fine.

just calibrated mine with some distilled waters, it went 4 points below 100, so my FG for IPA is now 1.006, which seems a little better..hopefully doesn't drop anymore!

Get a new one from a HBS anyway...a spare comes in handy when one "fails to bounce".

EK

Must be a common fault with the coopers hydros. Mine reads nearly 5 lower than 100 in water. I have a plastic one supplied with the kit I bought. It will be getting replaced next time I go to the LHBS for supplies.

Latest posts

Back