Dry Malt Recipe Success!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCraggen

Reaction score
Okay so i cracked the first stubbie of my recipe which i found out to be an american ESB,

As follows:

2.5KG Light dry malt extract
500g Crystal Malt
75g Williamette
25g Amarillo
US-05

25g Williamette @ 15
25g Williamette @ 30
25g Williamette @ 45
25g Amarillo @ 60

The boil times were a bit "loose", but thats the jist of it, also i fermented this one at 18-20C which didnt hurt,

As for the flavour, its perfect! exactly what i wanted very very drinkable if it wasnt so expensive to brew it would be a great session beer, the hop combination with the slightly sweet taste and the dry finish its just great. I thought boiling the grain a little would give off an overpowering tanin taste but not the case, just a nice clean hoppy finish.

Cheers n Beers.

I thought boiling the grain a little would give off an overpowering tanin taste but not the case...
??? What exactly did you do?

Anyway, congratulations on a good brew. Doesn't sound TOO expensive. How muh are you paying for the stuff?

Well im not certain but i think the total costs were about $65, Expensive for home brew but the results spoke for themselves.

As for the tanins, i stuipidly boilded the grain for around 5 minutes then left to sit, now i know to steep the grain and boil the resulting liquid.

But all in all its one step closer to all grain brewing.

Good to hear it worked out for you. $65 does seem a little steep for that ingredient list though.

Main thing is that it turned out good and your enjoying it.

:icon_cheers: SJ

Okay so i cracked the first stubbie of my recipe which i found out to be an american ESB,

As follows:

2.5KG Light dry malt extract
500g Crystal Malt
75g Williamette
25g Amarillo
US-05

25g Williamette @ 15
25g Williamette @ 30
25g Williamette @ 45
25g Amarillo @ 60

The boil times were a bit "loose", but thats the jist of it, also i fermented this one at 18-20C which didnt hurt,

As for the flavour, its perfect! exactly what i wanted very very drinkable if it wasnt so expensive to brew it would be a great session beer, the hop combination with the slightly sweet taste and the dry finish its just great. I thought boiling the grain a little would give off an overpowering tanin taste but not the case, just a nice clean hoppy finish.

Cheers n Beers.

65 Dollar???? Wow thats a bit much for an extract mate!

2.5KG Light dry malt extract ~25 Dollar (or 15 if you buy bulk)
500g Crystal Malt ~3 Dollar
75g Williamette ~10 Dollar/100g
25g Amarillo ~10Dollar/100g
US-05 ~4 Dollar

Ends up around 42 Dollars (or 32 if you buy malt in bulk e.g. 25kg sack) which sounds a lot better than 65!

Not sure how you get $65 from that ingredient list - unless you are paying top dollar instead of going through the sponsors online stores.

Was it the extract that cost the most? Hope your not buying the 0.5kg boxes of Coopers LDME as they are a rip off. Try and buy in bulk and you'll see that LDME is about $6/kg.

Jebus, I thought I had it bad currently paying $8.17/kilo for LDME.....

With a bit of shopping around i should get the costs down to about $40-45 a batch, very reasonable considering its exactly how i wanted my beer to taste :chug:

Good work on the first extract. Far better than any kit. With a bit of shopping around and reusing yeast you should be able to get that price down to around $30.

Cheers
Gavo.

With a bit of shopping around i should get the costs down to about $40-45 a batch, very reasonable considering its exactly how i wanted my beer to taste :chug:

Yep that sounds alot better than 65!

And you get exactly what you want - definitly worth the money and time!

Gratz

Sounds like a nice brew. Might try that.

I've been finding that "dry only" recipes benefit from a decent whack of bitter hops due to the inherent sweetness (candyness?) of the light dry malt - that I don't seem to get as much with the liquid malts.

This one's great. Very, very pale.

2kg LDME
500g dextrose
300g carapils
40g pacific gem @60
20g cascade @0
Safale @ 20C

Latest posts

Back