Dry July

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2much2spend said:
FG or OG?
;-)
from my understanding, you have to test it daily until you get a stable reading for 2... 5 days :p

Well done and best of luck to everyone making the commitment in this thread.

Looking at my commitments and social life over the next few weeks I find it very unlikely I would be able to keep to such an abstinence, but Dry July is something I would consider doing properly in the future.

As it stands I will take inspiration from you all and cut down on the drinks in July to some degree. Maybe no "big nights" or something ...

I'm doing it. Good chance to build up the stores and hopefully slow down the weight gain
I did 6 weeks last year as punishment for getting a $750 speeding ticket, but I wasn't brewing back then.
I wonder if I can lock myself out of the beer shed for July??

I'm in again this year. More of an informal thing for me, not raising money for anything. A month off the booze will help with my training for the age fun run on July 27.

Going to drink my last pint tonight till August... hold me :p

Bottle_FB.jpg

Good luck to everyone here starting this today, and remember you can donate via our Aussie Home Brewers Forum team. It's to raise money to support adults living with cancer.

Mattwa said:
Yeah I'm out as I'll be in Germany for half of July drinking delicious German beer.
It's only valid for July in Australia, July in Germany isn't synced with us, so it does count.

He he.

(Yes I know) but I'm trying to give an excuse!!!

Nearly caved last night. Grabbed a peated porter and a oude beersel Kriek off the shelf to put in freezer to chill. Was stinging for it, but ended up getting them back out and putting them back on the shelf. I'm gunna drink the **** out of them come August :)

Whinging kids are testing my resolve. Just went to make another coffee after realizing there are no tea bags left to find all the mugs are in the dishwasher. All my whiskey and beer glasses are nice and clean though.
Is it August yet?

It helps to move all your stuff that makes you want a drink (scotch glasses, whiskey, turn off beer fridge) to somewhere you can't see.

And figure out the times and habits that get you instinctively wanting a drink (kids are one, kids going to bed and watching my shows on telly) and change the habit.

Having recently been diagnosed with stomach cancer I will not be having any beer until I have completed my chemotherapy I also know of another member who has bladder cancer. I think it is a good cause for members of this site to donate to as the latest figures for males who will be diagnosed with cancer is now 1 in every 2, females 1 in every 3.
Alcohol is a proven carcinogen so all things in moderation. Easy to say hard to do.

Really sad to hear that WEL, and I hope you have a speedy recovery. Thanks for you donation too!

I just got through my first weekend without a beer in years. It is so hard to break the habit! I even went to a footy game with my mates. I found this easier than wanting one of my own brews at about 4 or 5 pm after you have been wrangling the kids all day. I started replacing the beer with soda water in my fave beer glass and that has helped, I find once 7 or 8pm comes around I'm ok again. Bloody glad its winter too, don't think I could do this in summer.

I normally grab some bundaberg ginger beer. Helps in the arvo when you want something with a bit of bite.

The weihenstephaner non-alcoholic beer is actually pretty good, actually tastes like a weizen without that weird non-fermented malt taste. Also it's fun to drink while driving in the car or walking the dog haha.

Tomato juice is my non beer replacement. The hot and spicy v8 is perfect and gives that savoury bitter sort of feeling that helps to bridge the gap. Three weekends to go
Certainly can't do this in the summer, and I did a BBQ on Saturday that was very odd without a beer.
I'll be bottling one night this week as well which will need a mind adjustment.
I did cheat on Sunday as I had a little taste from the gravity sample to help decide on the dry hopping requirements of the latest brew. I'd made my decision halfway through the 2nd pint...

wide eyed and legless said:
Having recently been diagnosed with stomach cancer I will not be having any beer until I have completed my chemotherapy I also know of another member who has bladder cancer. I think it is a good cause for members of this site to donate to as the latest figures for males who will be diagnosed with cancer is now 1 in every 2, females 1 in every 3.
Alcohol is a proven carcinogen so all things in moderation. Easy to say hard to do.
Jesus mate sorry to hear.

I had no intention of doing dry July (and already filled up over the weekend), and I don't know you, but reading that made me decide to put my beer down and commit to no more booze for the rest of July plus a week of August.

All the best, hopefully you beat it.

Latest posts

Back