Dry Hopping and Cold Crashing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ ^ that interaction of the hops with the yeast is only with particular strains of yeast, its called biotransformation of glycerol's ( i think....lol ) The yeast to use is Vermont Strain or Londan Ale 1318. these strains allow the hop oils to be transformed during the ferment.

I recently made a Northeast IPA with Vermont Strain and dry hopped twice. First during end of ferment, just as the krausen was dropping and again a few days later, excellent results for that yeast. :super:

Pratty1 said:
^ ^ that interaction of the hops with the yeast is only with particular strains of yeast, its called biotransformation of glycerol's ( i think....lol ) The yeast to use is Vermont Strain or Londan Ale 1318. these strains allow the hop oils to be transformed during the ferment.

I recently made a Northeast IPA with Vermont Strain and dry hopped twice. First during end of ferment, just as the krausen was dropping and again a few days later, excellent results for that yeast. :super:
I made a NEIPA just before Christmas, I couldn't get my hands on either of those strains so I took a punt on WLP023. I have absolutely no idea whether any biotransforming took place or not but it tastes pretty bloody good and the aroma is the best of any beer I've brewed to date. Doesn't look shit hot mind you!

WP_20170121_20_06_48_Pro.jpg

Pratty1 said:
why only those two strains?

^ it does happen with other strains but the amount of biotransformation has been found higher/better with those strains for some reason, not sure exactly why.

cheers, I'll do some googling. I've used the vermont strain a few times, good stuff

Pratty1 said:
^ it does happen with other strains but the amount of biotransformation has been found higher/better with those strains for some reason, not sure exactly why.

Lots of compounds exist as glycosides, mostly flavourless. Yeasts have several glycosidase enzymes which can cleave the glycoside to a sugar and the aglycone which may be more flavourful. The activity in a given ferment depends on the glycosides present, the glycosidases active in the yeast and the conditions of ferment.

FWIW bushfre taint compounds are often glycosidically bound so it's not uncommon to have a juice that tastes clean (level below threshold) only for it to smell like it was used to clean a dirty ashtray half way through fermentation.

It's funny how the yanks have their minds blown by having a tasty beer that is supposed to be cloudy. I guess they don't know about Coopers. One of their slogans used to be "Cloudy, but fine."

I am glad that they are getting some traction with this. The obsession with beer clarity has always seemed a bit misplaced to me. There are plenty of beers where I want some of the sediment in my glass.

Ferg said:
What was your grain bill?

I went:
41% MO
41% Pale
18% Rolled Oats

Mine seems to be a lot darker.. It is a bit lighter than the photo suggests but definitely not as light as yours.
I will start a seperate thread for the beer I made, very similar to your, same %'s

malt bill was :

41% Pils
41% Ale
18% Rolled Oats

The lighting really helped this photo, its much cloudier and darker when not in captured lighting.

I too dry hop post-cold crash. I found that the yeast activity and CO2 would strip out a lot of the flavor I was trying to add. I found the flavours/aromas a lot cleaner and more "forward" when dry hopping post cold crash.

Once I cold crash, my beers will never see temperatures >2 degrees. It's the best thing I've done for the longevity of the flavours in my brews.

^really, i only ever dry hopped cold once. It was with galaxy and a recipe i had done before with a warm dry hop. I found the cold dry hop failed to extract any of the nice fruity aromas and just added astringency and vegetal flavors. Have not done it since

peteru said:
Any observations on this yet or too soon?
Looked at two bottled samples tonight. I thought there was a slight difference but I could have been kidding myself.

FWIW I preferred the version with the hops added before ferment finished, I thought it was slightly more integrated and had better mouthfeel.

Thanks for reporting back. The minimal difference could be a factor of the ferment hops having a few more days to integrate. I guess given another few weeks, any such difference would be negligible. Interested to hear your reports from any future taste comparisons.

They've both had the same amount of time at the same temperatures, one ferment was slower (underpitched). The textural difference could simply be the yeast.

Ferment-temp and cold dry hop bring out different characteristics in my experience. For instance, NZ Cascade showed a lot of fruit flavour from DH at ferment temp, and floral flavours from a cold DH. In my experience it just takes a whole lot of trials to work out what flavours come from which DH temp.

FWIW I've shifted cold DH over to keg hopping and rarely cold DH in the fermenter anymore. I've read interviews where some of the top quality brewers - Mitch Steele and Vinnie Cilurzo - have mentioned using ferment-temp and cold DH to achieve different results. Wish I had bookmarked them.

I have been filtering my beers for ages but have decided to go back to using gelatin. It just adds so much to the process to filter the beer that I don't think it's worth it anymore. Do people use hop bags for their dry hopping or just throw them in loose? If the latter, how do you stop getting hop floaties in your keg/glass? Particularly for the case of a 100-200 gram IPA dry hop?

My process has been for so long: primary ferment till terminal gravity reached. Rack to a cube and add dry hops @ ferment temp for 3 days. Cold crash to 0 degrees for 48 hours. treat with polyclar and filter into the keg. The problem is with all this effort I was only getting crystal clear beer about 50% of the time and often ended up with clogged filters/dip tubes and 3-hour kegging/swearing events. I want to simplify my process to primary ferment until terminal gravity, add dry hops for 3 days, cold crash, add 1/2 teaspoon of gelatin, keg after 48 more hours. Just need to solve the floaty issue. It seems like the hop bag will negate the gelatin a bit because it will fall/move while the fermenter is draining and stir up the yeast/trub. edit: maybe I could create a little hop "cage" with the stuff they make hop spiders out of. Then the cage sits fixed on the bottom of the fermenter the whole time.

Latest posts

Back