Dry Hopped, now it's bitter. Oxygen?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW if you want to eliminate oxygen from stored hops, oxygen absorber sachets work very well.

I did a trial of this when I was doing some advisory* work at a commercial brewery, IIRC we used around half a litre of O2 absorber capacity per kg of hops in the bag. After a month or so of storage in normal conditions (4 degree coolroom, bags rolled down and taped) there was a very distinct difference between the trial and the control and no discernable difference between the trial and hops from an unopened bag.

* I hate the word consultant.

BTW if you want to eliminate oxygen from stored hops, oxygen absorber sachets work very well.

I did a trial of this when I was doing some advisory* work at a commercial brewery, IIRC we used around half a litre of O2 absorber capacity per kg of hops in the bag. After a month or so of storage in normal conditions (4 degree coolroom, bags rolled down and taped) there was a very distinct difference between the trial and the control and no discernable difference between the trial and hops from an unopened bag.

* I hate the word consultant.

Where do you get the O2 absorber sachets?

I disagree that dry hopping doesn't add bitterness.
Chew a single hop pellet. Go on.

gurning.jpg

Dry hopping will add perceived bitterness but not IBU - it is not iso-alpha acids that is the source of bitterness in this case. The oxidised alpha acids part of the hop packaging process will add some bitterness, there may be other sources of bitterness too

The hop bag will soak up a whole bunch of the hop flavour/bitterness/whateverthefark so you're better off going loose.

So the study that I read tells me anyway.

Latest posts

Back