Dollar Reaches Parity...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very tempted to buy an MM2.

How do you drive it? Do you need the 1/2" drive shaft?

And yes, i am that tech retarded.

EDIT - was just checking the transaction and paypal is using a conversion rate more than 2 cents below the actual rate (95.9 vs 98.1). And i thought the banks were criminals.... Might have to wait a bit and see if the dollar goes back up again.
Mine is on the way, USPS says so..... maybe tomorrow.
Got the 1/2 inch shaft as this will definitely be motor driven.

The paypal thing is a pain in the ass but your bank will charge you a conversion fee anyway so not losing as much as you may think.
Nige

Was planning on using a cordless drill.

I drive my marga with a cheap Dick Smith cordless and a 10cm spade drill bit. Works fine. The reason i ask is that the drive shaft for the MM2 appears to be circular and so i don't see how a drill can grip it.

If it doesn't work straight out of the box i am stuffed. :(
yup its circular/cylindrical. but so are all drill bits. slide the drill on, tighten and off you go. except when crushing rye. little steel bullets of hell. my drill struggles with them from a 'standing' start.
yup the 1/2 inch shaft is worth the extra $ IMO.
if you buy one, i'd buy the hopper also. pics of mine here

Was planning on using a cordless drill.

I drive my marga with a cheap Dick Smith cordless and a 10cm spade drill bit. Works fine. The reason i ask is that the drive shaft for the MM2 appears to be circular and so i don't see how a drill can grip it.

If it doesn't work straight out of the box i am stuffed. :(

My drill seems to be able to grip round drill bits just fine :)

Hey Dr, Paypal charge a commission of 2.50% which is factored into their conversion rate. I tried going direct via a bank and they weren't any better, in fact once their transaction fees were added in they were much worse (in my banks case anyway)

Paypal are giving a rate today of 0.958868 inclusive of all fees and charges

The shaft on the MM-2 actually has three (small) flat bits that you are meant to line up with the flat bits in your drill. I just have the 3/8" version and it works ok with my $30 corded drill... but it can't do a standing start as it has no guts. I just built a hopper with a slidey bit that I open up once it gets going.

DrSmurto, I agree with Citymorgue2 about the hopper. If you want an 'out of the box' option then this is the way to go.

also

PriceUSA

Keep it local :icon_cheers:

Cheers

well... I think I just bought a 14.5 gal Blichmann conical through these guys while the dollar is still up....

that or I just got ripped off $800 odd dollars if it doesn't turn up... :huh:

well... I think I just bought a 14.5 gal Blichmann conical through these guys while the dollar is still up....

that or I just got ripped off $800 odd dollars if it doesn't turn up... :huh:

Will it definately fit in your fridge?

$800 landed Schooey?

Will it definately fit in your fridge?

$800 landed Schooey?

Yeah.. ~$840 landed here, everything paid. Still not sure about the fridge, but we'll see....

Surely they make bigger fridges anyway? :p

1-Lb Willamette Hop Pellets (TD-2)

( Item in stock! )Current AA__4.8% more info...
American aroma hop that has a mild, woody nose. Slightly spicy with hints of fruit.

Use in: American and English Ales

Hop Substitutes: Coming Soon

Ready To Order?

Our Price : $4.99 ea
( Item in stock! )

look at that 1 pound =$4.99 more than likely 09 but still as the 2010 harvest has just finished...

American aroma hop that has a mild, woody nose. Slightly spicy with hints of fruit.

Ready To Order?

( Item in stock! )

look at that 1 pound =$4.99 more than likely 09 but still as the 2010 harvest has just finished...

Good price, who is the from?

QldKev

The shaft on the MM-2 actually has three (small) flat bits that you are meant to line up with the flat bits in your drill. I just have the 3/8" version and it works ok with my $30 corded drill... but it can't do a standing start as it has no guts. I just built a hopper with a slidey bit that I open up once it gets going.

+1 its fine with the standard shaft. My drill makes it piss. Buy the base and hopper too if you can - they are very professionally done and cheap in my opinion....... I also got the crank handle, its suprisingly easy by hand if your feel like it.

Ready To Order?

( Item in stock! )

Good price, who is the from?

QldKev

going but the layout i'd guess its Nikohops. one of their clearance specials.

DrSmurto, I agree with Citymorgue2 about the hopper. If you want an 'out of the box' option then this is the way to go.

+1 for the hopper. Base you could probably make if you wanted to (but for $10 would you bother?), but hopper for $30 is an absolute steal. I know I could not make something that good for $30.

Shaft has 3 small flats on it for the drill to grip. You need to tighten the chuck propoerly as I have had mine slip a few times, but that's good if you were to get a rock or something jammed in there. I use a GMC impact drill wound down to slowest setting which struggles sometimes to get started with a full hopper. I calculate its running at 130 rpm and pulling 250 W, but does not have capacitance start.

Hope that helps. Can provide photos of my setup if needed.

Shaft has 3 small flats on it for the drill to grip.
i recon the bastards f*cked mine up and inserted it the wrong way rround. mine is completely smooth. well a file or the angle grinder will fix that up quick smart on the weekend!

Proudscum, how much was delivery for 1lb?
pffftt 1 lb. go 20lb delivered for $300. then you end up with something looking like this (old pic) :blink: :icon_drool2:
IMG_0153.jpg

i recon the bastards f*cked mine up and inserted it the wrong way rround. mine is completely smooth. well a file or the angle grinder will fix that up quick smart on the weekend!

pffftt 1 lb. go 20lb delivered for $300. then you end up with something looking like this (old pic) :blink: :icon_drool2:
View attachment 42480
That doesnt look like hops :ph34r:
GB

Back