Dollar Reaches Parity...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You lucky buggers, prepare for your next invasion of kiwi workers ;)

When I was in Wullington recently the thing about Kiwi workers that hit me between the eyes was that you can go up to a supermarket employee and ask "Looking for x y z " and instead of "Aisle 6 buddy" you get a guided tour of the place and by the time he or she has shown you personally through the range you end up knowing each others' names and what you all did last weekend. Same in the pubs with the bar staff, etc. Even the staff at Maccas make you feel like a long lost relly walking through the door (plus they are nearly all Moaris, show me a Maccas run by Murris over here and I'll walk to Bourke)

Given that Aussie dollar is buying about 1.30 kiwi dollars I'm surprised Boone gas suggested buying stuff from NZ...
If we start importing Old Mout Scrumpy in the big PET bottles I'll probably give up home brewing. Will need a good funeral plan but. Hey it's cheaper to die in NZ. You know all those daytime funeral plan ads that they pester you with lately .... "even a simple funeral can cost $6000". Well over there of course they have the same ads but it's "even a simple funeral can cost $5000". So with the exchange rate I'll hop Air NZ if I get a few hours notice of my demise. ;)
CM you really must stop typing posts on that little mobile :p

Got myself some Perlicks, too. Alls I need now is a tower with three holes and I'll have a kegerator capable of dispensing three beers at once. Excited!

Me too, can't wait to get them and fit em up. Ain't they purdy!

Gavo.

So Dardy they are. Was stoked i could get a better tap for the same amount of money i was going to spend down here.

D'oh! Ordered 3 pounds from Hopsdirect assuming they'd be able to do the "cheaper" shipping rate and got lumped into the $44 USD USPS box - if i'd have known I would have ordered more hops! Still - even with shipping being the majority of the order the rate isn't that bad - especially as the order is probably overfilled to get to that point!

If anyone is going to use them I'd email them first to confirm shipping rates on what you want.

D'oh! Ordered 3 pounds from Hopsdirect assuming they'd be able to do the "cheaper" shipping rate and got lumped into the $44 USD USPS box

Ordered 4 pounds from Niko's home brew supplies and paid $26 us for shipping with US Postal service.

Gavo.

looking at hops from these guys as the postage rates is ok and 1/2 pound price is better than nikobrew except cascade but am trying to get a better 1/2 pound price on them.Great site for taps etc.

http://www.chicompany.net/

looking at hops from these guys as the postage rates is ok and 1/2 pound price is better than nikobrew except cascade but am trying to get a better 1/2 pound price on them.Great site for taps etc.

What are the shipping costs proudscrum?

Batz

this is a quote for 2 1/2 pounds of pellets which are all 2009 crop but will be advised on arrival of 2010 crop when they are available.

Total Items: 5 Amount: $40.00

Qty. Item Name Unit Total
Amarillo - 1/2 lb. $8.00 $16.00

Centenial - 1/2 lb. $8.00 $8.00

Chinook - 1/2 Lbs. $8.00 $8.00

Citra - 1/2 Lb. $8.00 $8.00
Sub-Total: $40.00

United States Postal Service (1 x 2.99lbs) (Priority Mail International Small Flat Rate Box (6 - 10 business days)) $14.45

What are the shipping costs proudscrum?

Batz

Looks like I can get 10, 1/2 lb (186gm) packets shipped for $44.45 US (S44.86 Aus)

Not bad as most hops are $8.00 per 186 gm.

Batz

this is a quote for 2 1/2 pounds of pellets which are all 2009 crop but will be advised on arrival of 2010 crop when they are available.

United States Postal Service (1 x 2.99lbs) (Priority Mail International Small Flat Rate Box (6 - 10 business days)) $14.45

Cheers that does look worthwhile.

Batz

Seems you might be incorrect there....but I would like to be proved wrong...would make my decision of ordering or not much easier

Your order is for 2 1/2 lbs....now while this fits the freight bracket by WEIGHT of $14.45 the website says above the hops in red:

SHIPPING NOTICE:

SMALL USPS Flat Rate Boxes will only fit a total of 1Lb.

MEDIUM USPS Flat Rate Boxes will only fit a total of 6Lbs.

CHOOSE THE CORRECTLY SIZED FLAT RATE SHIPPING BOX OR
"GENERAL PRIORITY" TO PREVENT POSTAGE DUE DELAYS

So I think you might find you will get bumped up to the next freight bracket of $44.45, instead of $14.45. If so...buy 3 1/2 lbs more....or 1 1/2 lbs less :(

Looks like I can get 10, 1/2 lb (186gm) packets shipped for $44.45 US (S44.86 Aus)
Not bad as most hops are $8.00 per 186 gm.
Batz

+ the hop price....so 5 lbs = $80 (hops) + $44.45 (freight) = $124.45 / 5lbs (2.27 kg) = $5.48 / 100gm

I'm pretty sure 1/lb = 227gms not 186gms????

Hmm all this is very tempting...mmmm hops...

Cheers, Pok

Damn it you are right about the box size only taking 1 pound of hops.
I was going to ask Matt from CHI about postage before ordering.
Damn you postage charges might just have to order more.

Pok - ur spot on with ur info.

Damn it you are right about the box size only taking 1 pound of hops.

I was really hoping I was wrong tho....so I could order the 3 1/2 pounds I was thinking about at the nice $14.45 rate...

Just so everyone knows.

If you order 1lb...it comes out to $US 30.45 / lb = $ 67.66 / kg ($6.76/100gm) shipped to Aus...@ $US 1=$AUD 0.9908 = $68.28/KG

or 6lb = $US 140.95 / 6lbs = $ 52.50 / kg (5.25/100gm) shipped to Aus...@ $US 1=$AUD 0.9908 = $52.98/KG

Six pounds is just to much hops to sit in the fridge, would be ok to split the load when the 2010 crop comes in but i will talk to Matt about the cost and see if there is a work around.I did see someone mention that Nikobrew did post for $12.50 for 2 1/2 pounds.Hmmm.Maybe just have to get my oldies to send some over from NZ.

+ the hop price....so 5 lbs = $80 (hops) + $44.45 (freight) = $124.45 / 5lbs (2.27 kg) = $5.48 / 100gm

I'm pretty sure 1/lb = 227gms not 186gms????

Cheers, Pok

Well that depends on the Troy or avdp pound, and if you read above I did say 1/2 pound....that's .5

Oh and I do realize that I have to pay for the hops not just the shipping ( I did say shipped):huh:

Batz

I ordered 2 and 1/2 from nikobrew for about $15 just a few weeks ago. They say anything up to that size is that price and over that is the $44 from memory.

We must be cleaning out some sellers of perlicks, I ordered two this week and I'm going back for two more as its cheaper on postage to split up orders.

Well that depends on the Troy or avdp pound, and if you read above I did say 1/2 pound....that's .5

Sorry Batz i made a typo...isn't 1 pound = 453g?? so 1/2 lb = 227g??

Oh and I do realize that I have to pay for the hops not just the shipping ( I did say shipped):huh:

I figured that, just the wording was a little strange

D'oh! Ordered 3 pounds from Hopsdirect assuming they'd be able to do the "cheaper" shipping rate and got lumped into the $44 USD USPS box - if i'd have known I would have ordered more hops! Still - even with shipping being the majority of the order the rate isn't that bad - especially as the order is probably overfilled to get to that point!

If anyone is going to use them I'd email them first to confirm shipping rates on what you want.

My 3Lbs were in the $44 flat rate medium,probably would take 5lbs comfortably.Next time I will order 2lbs per order at the $14 flat rate small.

Wasn't that perturbed,still dirt cheap for fantastic fresh hops

Latest posts

Back