Ditch my fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirrell

Reaction score
Hi, ive been hit by 5 brews in a row that arent obviously infected to look at but seem to have a bittery after taste which gets worse with age. Drinkeable, but not nice. They also seem a bit fizzy, there is head, but more gassy than lacey. No bottle bombs yet. I have temp control. My coopers fermenter has seen 25 brews, fine scratches at bottom from stirring. I did leavev it outside with trub in it for a few months a while back, but thoroughly cleaned it and sanitised after - the taps did stink, strong rubbery smell which i got rid of, but seems to come back mildly again after a brew.
Im thinking of just buying another fermenter, there is no difference between my old and post infection practises, but being a bit sloppy probably got the fermenter in the state it is now.

Ditch it!

You could faf around with swapping the tap, but that may just get you another dodgy batch of beer.

You might as well go to Bunnings and get one of these plastic jobbies and a tap to go with it.

+1 for stainless, if you are willing to drop the coin.

I threw a full one in the bin when I had a bad run.
Sorted the problem it did.

Ditch away!!!!!

No harm in changing to a new fermenter, but your problems might just as well, if not more likely, have been caused by the tap.

Do you dismantle and clean the tap after each use? If not, I suggest you do.

squirrell said:
I did leave it outside with trub in it for a few months a while back, but thoroughly cleaned it and sanitised after
Uh.

Sanitise it with a flamethrower.

Taps do go a bit funny after a while when you pull them apart and sanitise, but it is necessary... they get scummy between the 2 parts. When they start going leaky I just turf and get some new ones.

Plastic fermenters do have a use by date.
I have chucked several over the years, sometimes it's the easiest solution to an infection problem.

Batz

Or, re, the Stainless option. My 50lt kegmenter for example I half filled with water and a tad of citric acid and boil the fark out of it to sanitize, but I only did that when I first bought it.
I'll never ditch it over my lifetime I'd imagine.

I also ferment in a 23lt Corni keg. I cant boil that but all stainless steal insides and parts it is sanitizable for long time. I did fill this 23lt keg with boiling water though.

Is it Sanitizable?
Plastic is short lived IMO.

25 brews out of a fermenter is not good value. If your sanitising properly you should not have a problem. Pulling the tap apart, taking out the rubber ring and airlock grommet in the lid and sanitising is a must and don't forget the thread in the barrel.

Ditch the one you have and start again, being more particular to your cleaning and sanitising processes.

Cheers

How much is a plastic fermenter, about $30? At 25 brews that's $1.20 per batch. Assuming you get 20L out of it that's 6 cents a litre, or about 2 cents a stubby. Sounds like good value to me.

Dave70 said:
Sell it.

On E-Bay.
And that's why I don't buy second hand FVs :p

mstrelan said:
How much is a plastic fermenter, about $30? At 25 brews that's $1.20 per batch. Assuming you get 20L out of it that's 6 cents a litre, or about 2 cents a stubby. Sounds like good value to me.
Can get a 30L for $22 or 60L for $40 inc tap and all the associated stuffs. I got an infection in one that I'd racked a beer on to a heap of figs (pasteurised), left it for 2-3 months with pelicle to see if it was any good baddies but it was bad baddies so in the bin it went.

mstrelan said:
Sure 2 cents a stubby big deal? But saving 2 cents here, 3 cents there etc without detriment to the outcome is a bonus. Thats how a lot of manufactures make their profits, for me drinking a beer at say 40 cents rather than 50 cents with little savings here and there tastes a lot nicer imop.

I'll second the kegmenter idea, after long thoughts I think this will fit in my chesty perfectly and as I double batch my gf and get about 43 ltrs it will be perfect size for my pales and lagers. And like danscraftbeer does, pressure ferment, cleaner, faster and easy transfer under pressure into 2 cornies, just perfect for our situ and the fact it's stainless :)

Latest posts

Back