Dedicated Herms Guide, Problems And Solution Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fat ******* said:
having the HX as close as possible to the MLT to reduce heat losses.
My opinion is the difference with the communal radiated heat will be stuff all.

I guess it's swings and roundabouts, Lose heat pumping up to the MLT from the HX, or lose heat pumping the sparge up.
Just thoughts at this stage, I'm still welding the frame, or at least the apprentice is!

I'd keep the hlt level with the rest and the hx below so your pumps are easier to prime. My hlt pump is pretty much self priming via gravity. I use pipe insulation from bunnings to reduce heat loss in my herms circuit but its probably overkill. Just a thought anyway.

I have been thinking about my system and the possibility of hot side aeration. If the wort return manifold is above the mash water level and you are splashing or sprinkling the hot wort from the HEX, is there the possibility of hot side aeration? Or does the boil eradicate this?

I haven't detected any oxidization in my beers or staling but wondered if this is a problem?

Apologies if this has been covered but I couldn't find anything

There's still a fair bit of conjecture over the whole HSA theory. If only for your own piece of mind, could you lower your wort return closer to the mash? This would also reduce grain bed disturbance if fly sparging.

While I'm at it here's a pic of my semi-ghetto wort return I made recently:

20130825_143700.jpg 20130825_143710.jpg

No frills, fully adjustable and easily removable. I've since relocated the manifold holes to the sides only to reduce disturbing the grain bed. So far, so good. I'm consistently hitting over 80% efficiency in regular strength brews.

G'day fellas so I have been busy and wanted to show you my dedicated herms brewing system
Version 2
If it's not ok to post here please remove

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7dAjFFeMidY

It's taken me a while to get it going
It's a long video so if you only want to watch a snapshot I'm sorry
The last 30 seconds will give you an idea of my heartache with running 100v
To a system which I have designed to be 240v

If your interested in the short out I had a rust earth bolt on my hot tank as I had been doing a few water runs to see how things run
Since then I have also had two of my $5 110-240v -11volt lbp transformers
Crap out due to over heating
Since then I have upgraded to laptop style transformers and will be able to report back on these
Let me know what you think but the stAinless herms vessel holds temp very well I'm not to sure if it needs insulation but In future I'm sure I will

With time

Its beautiful.. I want your HERM-IT.... but probably cost the earth can you list the parts? .. by my guess $300 without the element or the Gryphon fittings and tube.. guess I may have to wait longer.. but a sweeeeeet HERM-IT..I may even be tempted by your design. :D :p

Grainer you will be very suprised at the cost I tried to keep everything very cheap hence the brass ball valves I think below 250$ except for the hose which I found rather expensive I got the quick disconnects from nev which I think are very well priced
Met Nev in person .... Now he is one dry mofo love im
And actually the best beer I've ever had I put him in ledgend status
Jp is not the ducks nuts but there an excellent craft beer scene home brewing is ilegL

Currently drinking a iipa 11 % very good coedo

cooperville said:
Grainer you will be very suprised at the cost I tried to keep everything very cheap hence the brass ball valves I think below 250$ except for the hose which I found rather expensive I got the quick disconnects from nev which I think are very well priced
Met Nev in person .... Now he is one dry mofo love im
And actually the best beer I've ever had I put him in ledgend status
Jp is not the ducks nuts but there an excellent craft beer scene home brewing is ilegL

Currently drinking a iipa 11 % very good coedo
HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? The still dragon components alone are $275??? without the coil fittings and element... How did you get them down on price.. Id be interested in that !!

View attachment HERM-IT.tiff

Now I've been drinking for bout an hour

No excuse I will work out a final cost soon ...ASAP but remember what I have built is all stainless and very versatile

I had issues with the pumps which cost $20 each so for me price is low compared to kaixin which I have inquired about and would like to upgrade to
If there is an option for but

All the same his system is awesome and should be celebrated

No pid to technical .. and it does what a lt of fellas want
I will break down cost tonight and share but believe me
Brewing in jp will cost an arm and a ball
I hope this helps the Aussies

cooperville said:
Now I've been drinking for bout an hour

No excuse I will work out a final cost soon ...ASAP but remember what I have built is all stainless and very versatile

I had issues with the pumps which cost $20 each so for me price is low compared to kaixin which I have inquired about and would like to upgrade to
If there is an option for but

All the same his system is awesome and should be celebrated

No pid to technical .. and it does what a lt of fellas want
I will break down cost tonight and share but believe me
Brewing in jp will cost an arm and a ball
I hope this helps the Aussies
LOL may be selfish but was only interested in the HERM-IT vessel

As far as hermit goes this is Jedi nutts

If you look at the video is shows clearly the temp raise and what's happening
If the videos to long well fu I wanted to show a system on simple electronics and made sure if was informative to the public ...
Public ....
Men with needs in brewing
Note
The flow of return from. A brown pump brendon my main man while brewing was well impressed this is my system let a guy judge his own
Cost to follow

cooperville said:
As far as hermit goes this is Jedi nutts

If you look at the video is shows clearly the temp raise and what's happening
If the videos to long well fu I wanted to show a system on simple electronics and made sure if was informative to the public ...
Public ....
Men with needs in brewing
Note
The flow of return from. A brown pump brendon my main man while brewing was well impressed this is my system let a guy judge his own
Cost to follow
Found the cost $223 US for still dragon components.. Thank you

cooperville said:
Note the drainalble system
Mine's drainable, too. Plus the misses can make herself a nice cuppa tea while she cleans the brewery for me.

Let's face it, who's done all the _real_ work around here?

WarmBeer said:
Mine's drainable, too. Plus the misses can make herself a nice cuppa tea while she cleans the brewery for me.

Let's face it, who's done all the _real_ work around here?
Lol ur onto something..maybe if he put a tap on it for the tea and connected a geothermal generator to run his system he'd be on a winner !! LOL...

Just priced it up quickly it comes in around $150+/- this is just for the Stilldragon parts not including the element or Hermit coil

So yes it is a bit exxy but it certainly has bling factor :lol:

If you have one of the SD stills you will already have a lot of the parts B)

Back