Dedicated Grainfather Guide, Problems and Solutions Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slcmorro said:
Eh? What?
No mate. I just use another tube on the return arm and bang it right into a cube at 90+c.
Why would you need to pump the wort through the chiller, if you're not actually chilling?
Same here, I whirlpool at 95 and pump into cube at 90

slcmorro said:
Eh? What?

No mate. I just use another tube on the return arm and bang it right into a cube at 90+c.

Why would you need to pump the wort through the chiller, if you're not actually chilling?
As I mentioned above, after wambesi said the exact same thing, I haven't been bothered to do this.

As to why I pump it through the chiller when no chilling, its to get it into the cube.... if you don't use a coolant, it's like a big hose.

I'm not sure that I needed to explain that but congrats on adding to your post count.

I pump through the chiller as well when no-chilling mainly so I can control the flow to the cube. I also had the cold water hose connection come off from the clamp last night be sure to retighten all clamps

rick1111082 said:
I pump through the chiller as well when no-chilling mainly so I can control the flow to the cube. I also had the cold water hose connection come off from the clamp last night be sure to retighten all clamps
Rick - just had the same thing happen to me today - cold water blue hose came flying off during my brew this morning and was going to post the same 'warning' - checked all the other clamps and they all had a 1/2 turn to tighten.

warnerbrew said:
Rick - just had the same thing happen to me today - cold water blue hose came flying off during my brew this morning and was going to post the same 'warning' - checked all the other clamps and they all had a 1/2 turn to tighten.
I was a bit annoyed but for a grand i guess its no braumeister but I am still very happy with it

I can understand being annoyed but these things can happen to any bit of kit. No matter what brand or costings.

Just like a lot of things mechanical and electrical, it pays to check things every now and then.

wambesi said:
I can understand being annoyed but these things can happen to any bit of kit. No matter what brand or costings.

Just like a lot of things mechanical and electrical, it pays to check things every now and then.
Yup - 100% agree, I was a little annoyed but more annoyed at myself for not re-checking the clamp(s). Did the same on the pump connection and it went about 1/4 of a turn even though I had tightened it up at the first setup.

I'd like to share a really positive experience I had with the grainfather teams response to an issue I had a few days ago.

When doing a stepped mash the other day, I noticed that it was taking between 3 and 4 minutes per degree to heat up between steps. This was weird becuase normally its around 1 minute 20 or so. This was with both elements turned on on the controller.

It turned out that when the switch at the base of the kettle was set to ‘mash’, switching the switch on the control unit between the settings marked with a | and || did nothing, i.e. when it was set to ||, the bigger element did not turn on.

However when the switch at the bottom of the unit was set to ‘Normal’ (bypassing the control unit), both elements function as expected. Looked like the element switch on the controller was stuffed. I ended up just witching between 'boil' and 'normal' at the base of the unit, when changing temps so the mash didn't take all day.

I sent this info to the guys at Grainfather directly via email and they had a replacement control unit in an express post bag and on its way to me the very next day, no questions asked.

Super great customer service.

Hey blokes, what did you guys do for your pre brew clean?

chopdog said:
Hey blokes, what did you guys do for your pre brew clean?
Using it for the first time should be a full cleaning cycle.

But for every other pre-brew clean after that I just give everything a bit of a rinse (in case any insects had crawled into the equipment). And then maybe 15 seconds of hot tap water through the chiller.

Keep in mind that stainless steel is exactly that - it stains less. It doesn't mean it won't rust if left in contact with moisture and highly alkaline cleaners etc between brews. Complete strip down, clean, rinse and air dry, no different to any other systems.

What about doing back to back brews? Brewing light to dark obviously, and a quick rinse. Is this enough?

chopdog said:
Also does anyone use whirlfloc tabs? Or not needed?
I use brewbrite sometimes. Haven't noticed heaps of difference with or without though...

chopdog said:
What about doing back to back brews? Brewing light to dark obviously, and a quick rinse. Is this enough?
Rinse and a scrub to get any caked on stuff off should be fine.

Just my (untested) opinion.

Going to have a crack a 3 brews tomorrow, apa, red Ipa and a hoppy brown. Should be fun seeing as I haven't even turned the thing on!!!

I am 30mins into the mash and my wort on top of the top plate isn't very clear, I have seen pics of wort where you can look in and see the perf plate. I think I may have pushed the plate down a little far. Would this have a effect on the clarity? The overflow cap only sticks out approx 2-3mm when pump is not on.

It'll be fine mate. Look at the clarity when you're finished. You'll be happily surprised.

Pushing the plate down will compress the grain and perhaps inhibit the recirculation a little, but not by much that it'll be a problem - unless you literally forced it down as hard as you can.

Back