Dedicated Grainfather Guide, Problems and Solutions Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nads said:
Thanks butisitart I'll take your advice and follow mashout and sparge suggestion. All my previous brews ( 6 ) were step mashed and quite time consuming hence my reason for making this one step mash my next brew.
works in reverse too. somebody's recipe that advocates step mashing is probably based on their capacity to step mash. so if you get a step mash brew, and it's time consuming, just go the conventional 67-68C. so i wouldn't worry about what somebody else's mash regime is, and observe your own comfortable mash conditions and develop from there. this is all supposed to be fun, not a chemistry exam.

actually - i just realised you're on a gf -
if you want to experiment, try one on the single, then one on the 76c mash out.
i'm not sure what you mean by things becoming a lot more time consuming if you're using a gf. it would be a 60m boil then a bump to 76c.

meathead said:
Is anyone in Oz selling the upgrade kits yet?
Hi all,

Been following this thread for some great tips.

I've just noticed the GF Australian site has the upgrade kits (free and full versions) and new filter available now on the website. I've already ordered mine through my LHBS (figured a bit of margin for them vs postage cost and it helps support them). Only done a few brews in my original model GF due to distractions, but perfect timing on the upgrades as I get back into it.

Happy brewing!

TK1 said:
Hi all,

I've just noticed the GF Australian site has the upgrade kits (free and full versions) and new filter available now on the website. I've already ordered mine through my LHBS (figured a bit of margin for them vs postage cost and it helps support them). Only done a few brews in my original model GF due to distractions, but perfect timing on the upgrades as I get back into it.

Happy brewing!
Mmmm....brewing equipment upgrades...

Ordered! Thanks for the heads up. That new filter looks schmick!

carniebrew said:
Mmmm....brewing equipment upgrades...

Ordered! Thanks for the heads up. That new filter looks schmick!
(or rather it would be ordered if their payment gateway wasn't down)

carniebrew said:
(or rather it would be ordered if their payment gateway wasn't down)
Well, it worked half an hour ago - hope I haven't caused a rush and crashed the system!

As long as mine is on it's way before you all get your mits on them :p

TK1 said:
Well, it worked half an hour ago - hope I haven't caused a rush and crashed the system!

As long as mine is on it's way before you all get your mits on them :p
Looks like it was just an Amex issue...I tried two Amex cards (don't ask) and both failed. Just tried the Visa and it's gone through. Weird given their site says they accept Amex...perhaps they're different gateways.

I'm building a mini GF just over 1/2 size, may I ask in the malt pipe what is the highest grain/water ratio (kg/litre) they work at?

Atb. Aamcle

Coodgee said:
do you think the new filter gives you more wort for the same or less trub? or more wort and heaps more trub?
I'm, hoping it will give less trub, so keen to give it a go.

I have only heard one report from using the new filter, a brewer in the US, who mentioned still getting a bit of trub coming through: "I cant put more than 2oz of hops in without a clog" (pellets and not using a hop spider or socks). But then on the Grainfather site they do a trub vs no trub comparison (week 9 of the weekly mash articles) and results seemed to favour some trub in the fermenter for a better result.

I'm going to give it a go, but also trying a hop spider for the first time and sifting most of the flour out of the grains (pre-milled) so hoping it's pretty clear.

Don't stress too much on the trub, your yeast needs some in there during fermentation, and if you're doing everything else well you'll get the clarity you desire in your beer in the end.

TK1 said:
Hi all,

Happy brewing!
Which lhbs did u order from?

meathead said:
Which lhbs did u order from?
I ordered via The Country Brewer in Daylesford. Got my GF there and the service is great. Mark, the manager, is happy to order things in. Plus they sell food smoking, fly fishing and other gear that I'm always happy to spend money on. Works out well as the wife is happy to wander around the town and I can have a beer and browse in the shop...and sneak a few things into the car while she's distracted elsewhere :). I shop in Melbourne too but it's always a good excuse for a day trip.

butisitart said:
works in reverse too. somebody's recipe that advocates step mashing is probably based on their capacity to step mash. so if you get a step mash brew, and it's time consuming, just go the conventional 67-68C. so i wouldn't worry about what somebody else's mash regime is, and observe your own comfortable mash conditions and develop from there. this is all supposed to be fun, not a chemistry exam.

actually - i just realised you're on a gf -
if you want to experiment, try one on the single, then one on the 76c mash out.
i'm not sure what you mean by things becoming a lot more time consuming if you're using a gf. it would be a 60m boil then a bump to 76c.

I was referring to the step mash regime. My first GF brew was a Citra APA which was a one step and resulted in a stuck mash and an extremely long sparge. So after some research it was suggested I should step mash @ 40 deg for 30 min, 53 deg for 10 min, 66 deg for 60 min, 72 deg for 10 min and then mashout @ 78 deg for 10 min. a total of 2 hrs plus the temp ramp up times, so my next Citra was a long brew day after clean up but resulted in a nice beer.

Potential tragedy in the virgin brew...

I got the the Chur! kit with my Grainfather to ease myself into it.
Everything seemed to be going fine until the very end.
I was having issues with my tap which I decided to try and fix while the chiller period was going on.
Long story short - I broke something and now I have no water to the house unless I want it flooded... -_-

No more water to chill, means my wort is going into the fermenter at 63 degrees. Obviously I'll wait until it drops to put the yeast in - but have I trashed the brew with a long cool down period?

Also doing the maths I got a 93% efficiency - is that way to high?

nads said:
I was referring to the step mash regime. My first GF brew was a Citra APA which was a one step and resulted in a stuck mash and an extremely long sparge. So after some research it was suggested I should step mash @ 40 deg for 30 min, 53 deg for 10 min, 66 deg for 60 min, 72 deg for 10 min and then mashout @ 78 deg for 10 min. a total of 2 hrs plus the temp ramp up times, so my next Citra was a long brew day after clean up but resulted in a nice beer.
you might check out why you are mashing such. my understanding is that 40c is good for 5-10mins. 53c is only good in certain situations. 63 or 68 for an hour, or combined. 76 for mashout 5mins, suited to gf.
i would suggest searching for a bit of the science behind, eg mash steps
or Mash Temperature and Beer Body in All Grain Brewing | Home Brewing Beer Blog by BeerSmith

and don't be too glued to a recipe. most guys who post recipes are not brewing gurus. learn your mashing within your own reading, understanding and experiments.

on the subject of a stuck mash in a gf, i find that (in the rare occasion it has happened), the easiest is to turn the pump off, remove the reticulation arm, lift the top plate out wearing some thick rubber gloves, stir the grain until satisfied it has unclogged, then replace everything. a bit of a nuisance, but will happen sometimes. usually, everything will go fine after that.

Hi Guys first time post on here, I have brewed two AG brews with the new Grainfather and finding there's an unusual taste to the brew.
The taste comes during fermentation and Im not sure if its normal. Its hard to describe but the beer looks good. I have done an AIPA and an English Bitter.
The brews were all temp controlled too. Here is a few questions -

1) As I have only done Extract brews previously, usually the flavour of the wort after fermentation is pretty similar to the final beer. Is the the same with AG brews?
2) Do you need to leave the AG brews in a bottle longer? Say 6-8 weeks? Some of the kits brews I thought were good at 2-4 weeks, maybe I'm being impatient.
3) Do you guys Sanitise the GF before each use?

The 2 brews are listed below and I used Marris Otter for the base Malt for both. I have found that my first brew now near 4 weeks in the bottle is tasting alot better but not quite what I was hoping for.

1st Brew - http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-KamaCitra.pdf
2nd Brew - https://homebru.com.au/media/wysiwyg/images/Special%20English%20Ale.pdf

With the second brew after brewing at 16 I raised to 20 for 2 days before cold crashing.

I mite try take a brew to the local HB store to see if the mild twang in the flavour is something they can help with, it may also go away with abit more time in the bottle.

Shibby said:
Hi Guys first time post on here, I have brewed two AG brews with the new Grainfather and finding there's an unusual taste to the brew.
The taste comes during fermentation and Im not sure if its normal. Its hard to describe but the beer looks good. I have done an AIPA and an English Bitter.
The brews were all temp controlled too. Here is a few questions -

1) As I have only done Extract brews previously, usually the flavour of the wort after fermentation is pretty similar to the final beer. Is the the same with AG brews?
2) Do you need to leave the AG brews in a bottle longer? Say 6-8 weeks? Some of the kits brews I thought were good at 2-4 weeks, maybe I'm being impatient.

The 2 brews are listed below and I used Marris Otter for the base Malt for both. I have found that my first brew now near 4 weeks in the bottle is tasting alot better but not quite what I was hoping for.

1st Brew - http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-KamaCitra.pdf
2nd Brew - https://homebru.com.au/media/wysiwyg/images/Special%20English%20Ale.pdf

With the second brew after brewing at 16 I raised to 20 for 2 days before cold crashing.

I mite try take a brew to the local HB store to see if the mild twang in the flavour is something they can help with, it may also go away with abit more time in the bottle.
Probably not grainfather related per se, but could you describe the taste at all?
Did you use Nottingham yeast?

Cheers,
D80

Ill have to think on how to describe it, I may open a bottle tonight to help.
The first brew was US -05 and the second brew was Nottingham yeast. The falvour is alot stronger in the brew with the US-05.
I originally thought it could be an infection, but the beer looks good, clarity is good, and theres no extra head or fizz so i presumed it could be something else, or
even just the normal flavour from Marris otter.
Do you sanitise the GF or is the boil good enough for this?

- Yes, there should be no difference post-fermentation between an extract and AG brew in terms to how it tastes before/after being carbed up

- Nope, again there should be no difference at all as to how long it'll take for a beer to be ready for drinking. 2 weeks max usually, sometimes a bit shorter, depending on the temp you've kept them at after bottling. The warmer they are, the quicker they'll carb (but not too warm or they'll go funky. Anywhere between 15-22C should be fine)

- No, I just do the clean cycle (PBW then clean water) as per the GF instructions. No need to sanitise if you've cleaned it well after use.

Latest posts

Back