Death by Homebrew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course trust minister Borbidge to chip in "duh home duh brew has it's dangers duh". As usual wouldn't have a bloody clue - apparently his mother still lays out his matching socks for him every morning.

Absolutely stupid...I feel dumber for reading them all

The guys were probably drinking what most race cars use as fuel.

Isn't distilling already a bit of a grey area anyway?

sillyboybrybry said:
It is perfectly legal to distil alcohol as long as you have a license You must of course keep records and pay excise to the ATO.
You can distil other things but not alcohol if you have a still under 5 litres capacity.

http://www.ato.gov.au/content/66216.htm
This is true but hardly likely IMO.

I just cant wait till they have a full article on what happened so I can post it back on the walls of those that have posted it on mine. Sick of people assuming its dangerous, and also assuming home brewing is for cheap bogans who can't afford Carlton cold.

cremmerson said:
For those dissing journalist (especially the elegant citymorgue2) most police reporters faithfully report information provided as background by police. Yes, they will try and make it interesting, and perhaps they don't always get it right, but very few stray beyond police backgrounding.

(Perhaps a bit sensitive - ended a 7.416 year journalism career two days ago).
I found it offensive on reading the mighty West Australian that the headline was confirming death by homebrew, though article stated that police are investigating a link to substances found at scene. That said, the rest of the paper also offends me 100% of the time anyway.

Bizier said:
I found it offensive on reading the mighty West Australian that the headline was confirming death by homebrew, though article stated that police are investigating a link to substances found at scene. That said, the rest of the paper also offends me 100% of the time anyway.
I almost wonder if the "homebrew industry" would have a libel case against this kind of scare mongering and blatantly ignorant reporting?

Parks said:
I almost wonder if the "homebrew industry" would have a libel case against this kind of scare mongering and blatantly ignorant reporting?
I fail to see how this would differ from political, or even any form of journalism in its current state. However, that is another discussion on its own.

In somewhat related news, what is the "Seven Deadly Malts" in your signature?

brad81 said:
In somewhat related news, what is the "Seven Deadly Malts" in your signature?
Why would you try to take this thread :icon_offtopic: :ph34r:
:lol:

My latest stout had 7 dark malts in it and I had to come up with a name. It's a derivation of the seven deadly sins but I'm not sure it covers all of them (I guess what it lacks I can make up for :ph34r: )

Fourth guy is showing signs of improvement.

I know little about distilling but I'd guess it would take an absolute shedload of pre-fermented discarded grape skins to make grappa and conceivably they were just too quick to get into the first runnings or heads or whatever and got a fatal dose of CH3OH.

Question is, did they actually know how to make the stuff or were they sneakily using the kit that they had just casually seen Dad using a couple of times. "wow here comes the piss dudes, that was quick, hand me that glass"

If it was death by home brew - done properly - wow what a great way to go.

Unfortunately media and politicians seem to be unaccountable for giving false or misleading information!

Bribie G said:

I know little about distilling but I'd guess it would take an absolute shedload of pre-fermented discarded grape skins to make grappa and conceivably they were just too quick to get into the first runnings or heads or whatever and got a fatal dose of CH3OH.

Question is, did they actually know how to make the stuff or were they sneakily using the kit that they had just casually seen Dad using a couple of times. "wow here comes the piss dudes, that was quick, hand me that glass"
I was thinking that exactly...no idea what they were actually doing but just wanted quick booze

On another note, ABC are now saying "Home Distilled Spirit called Grappa" and the men died from ethanol poisoning

And I get reported for swearing?

Mind boggles.

bum said:
And I get reported for swearing?

Mind boggles.
You posted whilst i was cleaning the thread, Bum.

Some of the posts made in this thread have been downright disgusting and dissapointing.

Bribie G said:

Yeah exactly. :( I was explaining to SWMBO last night just how much risk there is of pulling off the wrong compounds, particularly when you start with fruit and are likely to have a lot of methanol. Stick to beer - the worst that can happen is death by bottle explosion... :huh:

Latest posts

Back