Death by Homebrew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rowy said:
No dramas missed what was posted later. All good. Might just hit the kitchen and have a brew!
Aaaaah nothing like the taste of a Mosaic AIPA to get the taste of shoe leather out of your mouth:(

All good, mate. I know you in real person, and what you feel about this sort of stuff.

How do you like Mosaic? I am finding it a really good contrast to Citra and the passionfruit or citrus hops. Almost like a berry and melon flavour.

Save a bottle for the 22nd if you can, mate. Haven't consciously had Mosaic yet.

Perhaps posting in it will stop it from bumping, Ross?

Black Devil Dog said:
It would seem that their deaths may have actually been caused by drinking alcohol used to make Bio-diesel. Very tragic and certainly not a topic to be made fun of.

A bit of respect to everyone involved would be good.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/17566570/dead-men-drank-diesel-ingredient-friend/
That truly sucks.

The surviving brother and his father now have to deal with the loss and destruction of their family in the national spotlight.

Way to go media. I suppose it won't take long for ACA/TT to get in there and do some invasive story. Wankers.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
All good, mate. I know you in real person, and what you feel about this sort of stuff.

How do you like Mosaic? I am finding it a really good contrast to Citra and the passionfruit or citrus hops. Almost like a berry and melon flavour.
I love it Chris! I get berry and melon with a slight tartness on the finish.

Florian said:
Save a bottle for the 22nd if you can, mate. Haven't consciously had Mosaic yet.
Done mate I've got a couple of bottles sitting beside my swap beers.

Biodiesel? I can drink a litre of vegetable oil - I'll probably either spew or have really slippery shit, but what's the go with biodiesel?

Don't tell me they tried to distill the petrol off E85?

Do you think its bio diesel?

or maybe these blokes run dragsters or something making their own top fuel stuff?

The first story wasnt truthful so maybe this is not either.

Just a bit of info...

When you make Bio- desiel you disolve caustic soda in methenol/ethenol.....

One would hate to think what would happen ...

and at the start of the story it was HOME BREW BEER..no sorry we got it wrong from the media... :angry: :angry:

Biodiesel is great stuff.made heaps of it.
Ingredients are .used vegetable oil/fats,
caustic soda
AND methanol which is a deadly poison. Some of that mixed in would kill anything.Ya don't even have to drink it.
Ethanol is just metho or the same alcohol that's in beer,rum ,whisky ,vodka etc.

If biodiesel was being made there then I,ll bet punkin;s bottletop methanol was the culprit.

I would go as far as they grabed the metho csustic mix.......sure fire death

I doubt it would have involved the use of caustic soda etc. I'd suggest that the Bio-Diesel referred to in the link may have in fact been wood alcohol, which is methanol, not ethanol. 20-30 years ago wood distillation for fuel was still pretty common in some parts of NSW and probably still occurs in some areas, such as the part of Queensland these guys came from.

When an uneducated and broke guy in his early 20's hears "wood alcohol" he wouldn't necessarily think "oh shit dude, that's methanol, we'll die". He might think "it's free and we'll get pissed...". Darwin award might be a bit harsh I reckon. I'd reserve Darwin award nominations for those that know the danger and proceed regardless, which these guys likely did not.

Pretty tragic whatever happened.

Would ypu know if you had a caustic alc mix added to coke.

The rate of caustic to alc is not as strong as you would think

Back