Death by Homebrew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah read this story about a week okay, it was spirits they were making.

Has anyone else been coping the "homebrew = crap" a bit more than usual since this happened...I think I have had about 10 guys at work give me sh*t about homebrew beer and thought it might have been me or "I always knew that homebrew stuff was pretty bad" ect <_<

I would suggest the damage was done by drinking high proof (80 -90%) alcohol.
Doesn't really matter whether its ethanol, methanol or what ever, you might as well be drinking petrol.

tricache said:
Has anyone else been coping the "homebrew = crap" a bit more than usual since this happened...I think I have had about 10 guys at work give me sh*t about homebrew beer and thought it might have been me or "I always knew that homebrew stuff was pretty bad" ect <_<
Nope. My work mates rate my beer much higher than I do. I keep saying it's because I know the faults etc but they don't care.

The term "home brew" has been pretty badly tarnished by all manner of brewing. IMO in 10 years it should have turned around with the wealth of knowledge easily available today.

Parks said:
Even in the most likely situations (like a wine or cider high in pectins) they would have to consume the methanol from something like 400L of cider/wine (I'm not sure on the exact volume but it's rediculous).

Antifreeze sounds like a very likely culprit. Very interested to hear the findings (they probably won't tell us).
Are you saying they didn't consume 400+ litres...

Got it. Have never looked at the numbers (i.e. ~0.5-2%) produced, but have heard a hell of a lot of stories about people being 'body drunk' off similar stuff (grappa, fruit brandies) and of course blindness and death where methanol has copped the blame.... fairly/unfairly or accurately I don't know. With a mean lethal dose of about 80mL they would have needed to hit 4L of the stuff...

Or, 15-20mL of antifreeze (ethylene glycol)...

Parks said:
Nope. My work mates rate my beer much higher than I do. I keep saying it's because I know the faults etc but they don't care.

The term "home brew" has been pretty badly tarnished by all manner of brewing. IMO in 10 years it should have turned around with the wealth of knowledge easily available today.
I work with a lot of Corona, VB and Miller Lite people...I now see the problem <_<

Adr_0 said:
Are you saying they didn't consume 400+ litres...
That's 400L before distillation. Very rough numbers but yeah, I'm saying they didn't (couldn't) possibly drink that much.

As Rowy alluded they may not be from the highest socioeconomic background either...

I blame the current spate of DIY programs airing on the Fox network.

http://youtu.be/rMauhz9V_Ck

bum said:
You may have missed the one about the child sex-slave trade.
And where was that? I saw some blokes having a joke or two about adult females.

Rowy said:
And where was that? I saw some blokes having a joke or two about adult females.
I saw it about a millisecond before it was deleted by Brad, Rowy.

Started as "get a 2nd wife, used model" to "get a 2nd wife, used model plus kids" and escalated from there. It was pretty crass, not the usual AHB smut that we're all used to.

I'm pretty sure everyone was talking about the wife.

Rowy, those posts came after the ones you mentioned and were fortunately promptly deleted.

I'm all for bad jokes and often don't agree with the moderation on here but that post was just outright disgusting.

Nothing to do with sheltered lives.

EDIT: beaten, and no, this post was not about the wife, bum's interpretation pretty much summed it up.

tricache said:

Yes and I am not even at work - getting sent the news links on facebook and text messages.

Parks said:

Most people I know that have issues with homebrew are the people that used to make it and I am guessing made it badly.

I had a bit of a joke at the start but as it went along even I thought it was starting to go a bit far - and that is a long way gone for me.
Or maybe I am just getting older and more conservative?
Next thing you know I will be supporting Tony Abbott.

No dramas missed what was posted later. All good. Might just hit the kitchen and have a brew!

I have now read the later post and am disgusted. My apologies gents. Those that know me on here would know what I would have thought of that. I enjoy a joke and a dig but agree some things are just beyond laughing at.

That's what I was saying.

Rowy said:
I enjoy a joke and a dig but agree some things are just beyond laughing at.
Totally agree, and I'm more twisted than the normal person.

Back