Death by Homebrew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is nothing that can survive in home brew that will kill you. The PH alone would kill most bacteria, and the very hardy ones are done in by the alcohol.....

Watch for the QLD government to initiate a crackdown on Home Brewing now. Just their form....

EDIT: I'm sitting here next to a cube of BerlinerWiess fermenting away, with funky shit of all descriptions in it....and I'm...ummm, lemme check, yep, not dead. What a stupid story!! The death or journalism perhaps....

Alcohol poisoning?

Or another case of piss poor journalism?

And what kills you before the ambulance can arrive?!

Before reading the story I thought he might have been electrocuted or gassed while making it but killed by drinking home brew is an interesting one.

Hopefully home brew is an innocent party in all this.

spryzie said:
And what kills you before the ambulance can arrive?!
Drink enough alcohol and it reduces your respiratory drive. You stop breathing.

wonder if it was BEER...could have been spirit.

The spokeswoman says detectives are waiting to interview the surviving trio about whether they took any other substance.

Can't have been homebrew, never ever.

Unless it was from a ...........kit ????

Sad story. If was distilled spirits, then again, it's crappy online journalism.

You guys do realise if it was botulism then daz will be back under another pseudonym.

Isnt the first story posted about somwonw dying of homebrew. I remember one article (qld again from memory) wherr the headline was about death by homebrew and the pics they showef were of homebrewed beer. Wasnt ubtil somway through the article that it said they died from alc poisoning from the huge amount of homemade spirits they were making.

Journalists suck arse and are fkn lazy sensationalist wankers.

Mattress said:
you'd have to drink a shite load of alcohol for that to happen. Most people would chuck before they could ingest that much. However, aspiration is a big problem with very drunk people RIP Bon Scott.

Mattress said:
Funny that, to much oxygen does the same thing. You need carbon dioxide in the air for respiratory drive. This is why oxygen lines in hospitals actually contain about 5% CO2.

Could well be other drugs, painkillers or whatever involved, mix them with alcohol and the chance of respiratory failure increases dramatically. Or it could be food poisoning of sorts, who knows.

Point being is that there's really no detail in that article to speculate on.

given the habits of all polititions of all parties just wait for a homebrew buy back and the outlawing of all semi auto and pump action brewing systems. and yes i am being just a little sarcastic.

Illegal substances:

Swiss Voile
Birko urns
Aldi Apple juice
Tandaco yeast
Sugaz
hops

Hey forgetting, poor *******. If it is determined that it was beer that caused it shouldn't we all chuck in five bucks and do a collection? Could have wife and kiddies.

Latest posts

Back