Death by Homebrew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was interviewed by ABC South Qld (Toowoomba) radio this morning, and for a pleasant change, the main point was differentiating "home brewing" from "home distilling". It's good that the presenter was aware of the difference and how much it makes us cringe when they refer to distilling as home brewing. There was talk about infected beers, but hopefully I got the point across about the difference in toxicity.

Here's hoping the rest of the media catches on, but unfortunately I think a bit of damage has already been done. At least nine news are now reporting that it was distilled spirits (despite still having "home brew" in the headline) - unlike yesterday's reckless reporting.

bradsbrew said:
You posted whilst i was cleaning the thread, Bum.

Some of the posts made in this thread have been downright disgusting and dissapointing.
Would have to agree!! Talk about bad media for home brew what about some of this past thread?

@tallie - you're become a bit of an ABC media personality, aren't you?

It can only be good for the craft, you actually have the ability to refute the falseness of these statements, albeit your audience is still somewhat limited.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
refute the falseness of these statements
Lucky they asked tallie and not you - we'd all be in irons!

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
@tallie - you're become a bit of an ABC media personality, aren't you?
Ha! I think some have referred to it more as a media tart than media personality :D Always happy to dispel the myths and get the good word out about amateur brewing when I can!

There are some on this site who have led very sheltered lives me thinks. I say that on a whole number of levels.........

bum said:
And I get reported for swearing?

Mind boggles.
About time you got your comeuppance, potty mouth - (fingers).

Bribie G said:
Fourth guy is showing signs of improvement.

I know little about distilling but I'd guess it would take an absolute shedload of pre-fermented discarded grape skins to make grappa and conceivably they were just too quick to get into the first runnings or heads or whatever and got a fatal dose of CH3OH.

Question is, did they actually know how to make the stuff or were they sneakily using the kit that they had just casually seen Dad using a couple of times. "wow here comes the piss dudes, that was quick, hand me that glass"

You're a good guy mate, but it's obvious that you really do know little about distilling. As i said earlier in the thread, if they had drunk all heads, they would have suffered nothing more than a severe headache and a baaaad hangover.

The only way they could have died from undoctored distilled spirit from wine or grape skins is if they overdosed on ethanol. As in drinking litres of high proof.

There is nothing in wine that will kill you except ethanol and there is nothing in distilled wine except wine.

tallie said:
I was interviewed by ABC South Qld (Toowoomba) radio this morning, and for a pleasant change, the main point was differentiating "home brewing" from "home distilling". It's good that the presenter was aware of the difference and how much it makes us cringe when they refer to distilling as home brewing. There was talk about infected beers, but hopefully I got the point across about the difference in toxicity.

Here's hoping the rest of the media catches on, but unfortunately I think a bit of damage has already been done. At least nine news are now reporting that it was distilled spirits (despite still having "home brew" in the headline) - unlike yesterday's reckless reporting.

I'd be very keen to hear that interview and how you portrayed you knowledge of distillation while diferentiating between homebrewing and home distilling. Please post a link.
There is a very wide base of the community who would love to see true information disseminated and a movement for legalisation of the hobby.

punkin said:
The only way they could have died from undoctored distilled spirit from wine or grape skins is if they overdosed on ethanol. As in drinking litres of high proof.

There is nothing in wine that will kill you except ethanol and there is nothing in distilled wine except wine.
One of the reports is now saying it may have had anti-freeze in it.

punkin said:

...and methanol.

Adr_0 said:
...and methanol.
There is a 0% chance that this happened unless they were using lab grade equipment to separate methanol from ethanol and were deliberately keeping and consuming it.

Parks said:
There is a 0% chance that this happened unless they were using lab grade equipment to separate methanol from ethanol and were deliberately keeping and consuming it.
Not saying they separated it from the ethanol (you're right, a lot of stages in a distillation column needed for that) but that it was probably produced in a decent proportion if they are using fruit (pectin). Dunno, pretty sure acetone or glycol would kill you just as dead... :(

What I can tell you is that your talking banjo country where that property was. Could have been trying to cut / improve / mix it with anything.

Adr_0 said:
Not saying they separated it from the ethanol (you're right, a lot of stages in a distillation column needed for that) but that it was probably produced in a decent proportion if they are using fruit (pectin). Dunno, pretty sure acetone or glycol would kill you just as dead... :(
Even in the most likely situations (like a wine or cider high in pectins) they would have to consume the methanol from something like 400L of cider/wine (I'm not sure on the exact volume but it's rediculous).

Antifreeze sounds like a very likely culprit. Very interested to hear the findings (they probably won't tell us).

Rowy said:
There are some on this site who have led very sheltered lives me thinks. I say that on a whole number of levels.........
You may have missed the one about the child sex-slave trade.

punkin said:
You're a good guy mate, but it's obvious that you really do know little about distilling. As i said earlier in the thread, if they had drunk all heads, they would have suffered nothing more than a severe headache and a baaaad hangover.

I'd be very keen to hear that interview and how you portrayed you knowledge of distillation while diferentiating between homebrewing and home distilling. Please post a link.
There is a very wide base of the community who would love to see true information disseminated and a movement for legalisation of the hobby.
Sorry, I'm not sure if they'll post a recording. It should be here if they do: http://www.abc.net.au/southqld/programs/southern_queensland_mornings/

I tried not to comment on distillation, as I have no experience on the matter. I did mention that methanol can be present in all alcoholic beverages, albeit at very low levels. My source for this is http://www.inchem.org/documents/ehc/ehc/ehc196.htm#SubSectionNumber:2.4.1:

Greizerstein (1981) utilized GC-FID and GC-MS for the analysis of
alcohols, aldehydes and esters in commercial beverages (beers, wines,
distilled spirits). ... Methanol was found at
levels of 6-27 mg/litre beer; 96-321 mg/litre in wines and
10-220 mg/litre in distilled spirits.
My reference for methanol toxicity was Wikipedia (lame, I know), and mentioned at those rates, we're talking 100's of litres of wine or 1000's of litres of beer for permanent damage.

tallie said:
Sorry, I'm not sure if they'll post a recording. It should be here if they do: http://www.abc.net.au/southqld/programs/southern_queensland_mornings/

I tried not to comment on distillation, as I have no experience on the matter. I did mention that methanol can be present in all alcoholic beverages, albeit at very low levels. My source for this is http://www.inchem.org/documents/ehc/ehc/ehc196.htm#SubSectionNumber:2.4.1:

My reference for methanol toxicity was Wikipedia (lame, I know), and mentioned at those rates, we're talking 100's of litres of wine or 1000's of litres of beer for permanent damage.
If you email the abc they will email an mp3 of the recording. Just Google the program you where on and you should find an email address I have received a recording from centralvic abc in the past. They will tell you not to share on any other media platform with out permission but you can email or PM people the recording.

Back