Dano's All Grain Feral Hop Hog Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made this yesterday, everything went well except the mash. Checked with 15 mins to go and it had dropped to 62, put the burner on, got caught up came back and it was almost boiling. Immediately took it off, removed lid and stirred. So for last 10 mins temp would have been over 80. Are there any serious repercussions from this?

Maybe. A couple of brews ago i sparged with 90 c water. Ended up with a very "grainy" flavour in the beer. Although this reduced significantly with age.

time01 said:
Made this yesterday, everything went well except the mash. Checked with 15 mins to go and it had dropped to 62, put the burner on, got caught up came back and it was almost boiling. Immediately took it off, removed lid and stirred. So for last 10 mins temp would have been over 80. Are there any serious repercussions from this?
If there were, you should be able to taste them in the wort already. How did it taste?

1b29v.jpg

Mines going great guns - pitched yesterday morning - The wort started around the tape line.. Wondering how long since I should dry hop?

haven't tasted it or pitched it yet carniebrew, good point though. will do this later in the week and see how it goes.

haven't tasted it or pitched it yet carniebrew, good point though. will do this later in the week and see how it goes.

Put 50L into the fermenter on Sunday.
maiden use of my new 60L fermenter, ferment freezer, STC, and the first time ive used yeast nutrient...... what could possibly go wrong

n87 said:
Put 50L into the fermenter on Sunday.
maiden use of my new 60L fermenter, ferment freezer, STC, and the first time ive used yeast nutrient...... what could possibly go wrong
Nice one, I hope it turns out nice for you.

My 3rd revision is/has been judged at the Perth Royal Beer Show yesterday and today. Results come out on Saturday apparently. Obviously its not getting judged as a clone but as an American IPA.

I had half a glass, side by side with a Hop Hog a couple of weeks back and between myself and a friend we decided that it seems like a pretty good IPA, but still needs a bit of work as a clone. The hop flavour was a little too much and the hop flavoir/aroma is still a little different.

Cool - I put it down and have been sampling at 1 week in the bottle. I reckon its ace guns. Will have to compare it to the Electric Pale Ale I'm making this weekend to see how it compares.

Wouldn't worry too much about getting the clone perfect - its still a bloody nice beer.

For some reason I didn't get any of the fermentation issues - mine went from 1.052 all the way down to 1.008 - then again, not as strong as the original recipe (purposefuly).

storeboughtcheeseburgers said:
Cool - I put it down and have been sampling at 1 week in the bottle. I reckon its ace guns. Will have to compare it to the Electric Pale Ale I'm making this weekend to see how it compares.

Wouldn't worry too much about getting the clone perfect - its still a bloody nice beer.

For some reason I didn't get any of the fermentation issues - mine went from 1.052 all the way down to 1.008 - then again, not as strong as the original recipe (purposefuly).
i like the sound of the electric pale ale! is that your recipe or is there a thred about it?

I just got my score from the Perth Royal Beer Show and it was 14.5/20, being a Bronze :beerbang: I'm happy with that however it still needs some work to bring it up another notch.

I noticed that Feral Brewery entered their Hop Hog as an APA rather than an IPA and scored a Silver. It'll be interesting to see my comment sheets and whether or not there are comments along the lines of "would suit APA catergory better" etc. It fits the guidelines for an APA other than the bitterness which is just slightly higher.

I'll wait on those comments and post up the feedback shortly. Hopefully there isn't any process/technique flaws and I can continue to work on the recipe itself.

Cheers.

danestead said:
I just got my score from the Perth Royal Beer Show and it was 14.5/20, being a Bronze :beerbang: I'm happy with that however it still needs some work to bring it up another notch.

I noticed that Feral Brewery entered their Hop Hog as an APA rather than an IPA and scored a Silver. It'll be interesting to see my comment sheets and whether or not there are comments along the lines of "would suit APA catergory better" etc. It fits the guidelines for an APA other than the bitterness which is just slightly higher.

I'll wait on those comments and post up the feedback shortly. Hopefully there isn't any process/technique flaws and I can continue to work on the recipe itself.

Cheers.
Well done that's awesome! Can't wait to hear more.

Well done mate.... Next time you look at a hop hog label you will notice that india is actually crossed out

Ok so I've received my comment 'sheet' from the perth royal beer show. This will probably sound a bit like a whinge however I'm a little frustrated.

My official score was 14.5 which is the average of the scores the judging panel gave me. The score sheet we receive from the perth royal beer show is not each sheet the judges wrote out, it is only the sheet the panel leader wrote. In my case, I got torn a new one with a total score of 12 and comments of, diacetyl, astringent, thin harsh and alcohol warming. I'm not so worried about getting a score of 12 however it doesn't really paint the full picture of my beer which makes it extremely hard to determine what process and recipe areas need attention. The other judges would have likely scored me up in the 15s to bring the average up to 14.5. Their comments would likely be different to the one I received. If I had all the comment sheets for this beer I could look at the common comments and work on them accordingly. Pretty frustrating when you pay 5 times more to enter the beer than the WASABC competition and you receive far less in terms of feedback, the only reason many brewers enter competitions.

Anywho, they were the comments and I doubt I'll bother entering this particular competition again as it seems it was a waste of my time.

I would voice your opinion to the PRBS and state exactly your feelings about the comments etc.
If you dont make yourself heard then it was a waste of money.
Nev

Online Brewing Supplies said:
I would voice your opinion to the PRBS and state exactly your feelings about the comments etc.
If you dont make yourself heard then it was a waste of money.
Nev
Yeah I've done exactly that Nev. I tried my best to make it not sound like a whinge but in summary asked if they could review their comment sheet policies for next year as in the amateur section of the comp. it is largely a learning experience for us. I'm awaiting a reply.

That sucks on the feedback Dane.

my one is cc'ing in my new freezer at 0.5C, and is planned to be bottled on Sunday... not looking forward to bottling 50L

Ive received another reply from the Perth Royal Beer Show which is quite positive. They have basically said that they will consider giving more sheets next year and they have also provided me with the remainder of my comment sheets.

I got an extra 4 sheets for this beer of which 2 were scored 15 and the other 2 were comments only. My summary of the common comments would be VDK (ill have to look this one up because im unfamiliar with it), possibly needs more body and maybe a little bitter or just a harsh bitterness in general.

Ill have a think about those things and tweak my recipe accordingly however my initial thoughts are to up the mash temp just slightly to improve the body and maybe reduce the sulphate back to 150ppm instead of 250ppm to try reduce the harshness of the bitterness.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back