Dano's All Grain Feral Hop Hog Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just adding to my results on the lotto thread.

Great recipe, and obviously hits the marks in a lot of ways - the balance is excellent, and the hopping isn't muddied (which can occasionally happen with an AIPA especially when recipes are pre-refinement beers). n87 used M44 - and I've not used this yeast, but through some fusels for me that muted the hopping, especially aroma. But as I said, the creation of the hopped wort was excellent.

I'm agreeing with danestead, I reckon US05, on a 17 degree ferment would be ideal to really let this shine.

I might suggest that some Chinook late in the boil instead of Amarillo (or include it in with it), might be in order.

Either way, excellent beer.

So i brewed a batch of this on monday and im starting to consider the dry hop schedule, 50grams of dry hops seems on the low side for me for an IPA, more akin to an APA. Thats obvisouly my preference but whats everyones thoughts that has tried this beer , needs a heavier dry hopping regime or keep it as is?

danestead said:
Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

24.00 g. Magnum Pellet 10.93 16.4 60 min.

13.00 g. Citra Pellet 12.92 8.9 15 min.
13.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.60 5.9 15 min.
8.00 g. Cascade Pellet 7.63 3.2 15 min.
8.00 g. Centennial Pellet 9.10 3.9 15 min.
8.00 g. Simcoe Pellet 11.03 4.7 15 min.

6.00 g. Citra Pellet 12.92 0.0 Whirlpool at 70 degrees.
6.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.60 0.0 Whirlpool at 70 degrees.
4.00 g. Cascade Pellet 7.63 0.0 Whirlpool at 70 degrees.
4.00 g. Centennial Pellet 9.10 0.0 Whirlpool at 70 degrees.
4.00 g. Simcoe Pellet 11.03 0.0 Whirlpool at 70 degrees.

Once the boil is up I will immediately immersion chill to 70 deg to lock in the IBU's and stop isomerisation, add the whirlpool hop addition then do a whirlpool/stand for 15 mins prior to plate chilling into the fermenter. On revision 1 I didn't immersion chill straight away which resulted in a large overshoot in IBU's (even though I based that recipe on 48 as opposed to this one's 58).

13.00 g. Citra Pellet 12.92 0.0 Dry Hop
13.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.60 0.0 Dry Hop
8.00 g. Cascade Pellet 7.63 0.0 Dry Hop
8.00 g. Centennial Pellet 9.10 0.0 Dry Hop
8.00 g. Simcoe Pellet 11.03 0.0 Dry Hop

Dry hop for 4 days toward the end of fermentation in hop bag then remove (revised procedure).
Am I adding up wrong, or do those IBU's only come to around 44, rather than 55? Also, why do the alpha's look really precise, e.g. Simcoe at 11.03%, and Cascade at 7.63%?

beersmith definitely calculated the 59 ibus stated above when i entered it in. I'd say the stated ibu's have been pulled straight from inbuilt profiles in the software

carniebrew said:
Am I adding up wrong, or do those IBU's only come to around 44, rather than 55? Also, why do the alpha's look really precise, e.g. Simcoe at 11.03%, and Cascade at 7.63%?
Not sure why it wouldn't add up to 55 ibus but in any case, just add the indicated weight of each hop at each stage and adjust the 60min addition to hit 55 ibus.
Edit: I've probably jiggled the figures after making adjustments on the brew software for display on here without updating all of the info, ie the ibu each individual hop addition contributes. Looks like the magnum addition should contribute considerably more ibus than indicated however it still stands that you should just adjust tthat addition to end up with 55 ibus total for the recipe.

The accurate aa% may come from me applying a 'hop time degradation' as some of my hops are a year or 2 old.

Slightly off topic, but I've been organising stuff for my 30th which is going to have 5 beers on tap and a craft brew pub type theme.

Here's a few photos.

1926929_10152338304577883_4661914499918049279_n.jpg

10537073_10152338298087883_1404218901427310953_n.jpg

10644991_10152338300812883_3082799548249312727_n.jpg

13984_10152338298777883_5778033878879216023_n.jpg

Hell yeah! Hey where's you get labels and crown seals done?That looks like the best party ever! Also is that a LCPA clone I see? Recipe?

Hell yeah! Hey where's you get labels and crown seals done?That looks like the best party ever! Also is that a LCPA clone I see? Recipe?

Nice work danestead,
that looks to be one heck of a shindig !!!

Thanks for the recipe and reviews fellas.
Will give this hog recipe a go one day too.

CF

jkhlt1210 said:
Cheers man.

Labels and caps designed by me. Labels printed by my uncle who owns a label factory, caps printed by www.bottlemark.com

Beers for my bday are Grazza's Rice Lager, brewed by my mate Mikey. That recipe has been a big hit for about 7 years now. The rest are the LCBA clone, Dr. Smurto's Golden Ale and Dr. Smurto's Light Amber (Rogers) which is slightly changed to my tastes, all from the recipe database and brewed multiple times by myself. Hog Beer is my Hop Hog clone!

Yummmm....

danestead said:
There seems to be the odd Hop Hog Clone thread floating about at the moment however here are the details of my attempt/s.

My first attempt was designed based on some knowns, some tips offs and some guesses. In a side by side test of my first Hop Hog Clone attempt with an actual Feral Hop Hog stubbie, the following were noted.
  • Aroma - was spot on during the first few days of dry hopping however had changed by the time it was kegged
  • Appearance - colour was spot on and slightly hazy like the real deal
  • Flavour - spot on however it was mildly over bitter
  • Mouthfeel - spot on
  • Impression - A little too bitter and the aroma wasn't true to the real deal however all other parameters were spot on to my friend and my taste
Overall I was very very impressed at my first attempt. Details of my slightly altered second revision (which is to be my WA Xmas in July Case Swap case) are below.

Recipe: Dano's Hop Hog Clone (Recipe 2)

Equipment
-------------
20L Braumeister

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (L): 25.00 (post boil)
Anticipated OG: 1.059
Anticipated FG: 1.015
Anticipated EBC: 15.6
Anticipated IBU: 54.8 (more than the Feral website's 48 IBU - yes)
Mash Efficiency: 82 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes
Alc by Volume: 5.8%

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
85.8 4.87 kg. Barrett Burston - Ale Malt Australia 1.038 6
10.0 0.57 kg. Weyermann Munich I Germany 1.038 15
4.2 0.24 kg. Weyermann Caramunich II Germany 1.035 125

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
27.00 g. Magnum Pellet 10.28 29.4 60 min.

10.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.62 4.5 15 min.
10.00 g. Cascade Pellet 7.93 4.2 15 min.
10.00 g. Centennial Pellet 9.33 4.9 15 min.
10.00 g. Citra Pellet 12.00 6.3 15 min.
10.00 g. Simcoe Pellet 10.40 5.5 15 min.

Once the boil is up I immediately immersion chill to 70 deg to lock in the IBU's then do a whirlpool/stand for 15 mins prior to plate chilling into the fermenter. On revision 1 I didn't immersion chill straight away which resulted in a large overshoot in IBU's (even though I based that recipe on 48).

8.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.62 0.0 Dry Hop
8.00 g. Cascade Pellet 7.93 0.0 Dry Hop
8.00 g. Citra Pellet 13.20 0.0 Dry Hop
8.00 g. Centennial Pellet 9.33 0.0 Dry Hop
8.00 g. Simcoe Pellet 9.89 0.0 Dry Hop

Dry hop for 3 days toward the end of fermentation in hop bag then remove (revised procedure).

Yeast
-----
Fermentis US-05 American Ale

Fermented at 18 degrees.

Mash Schedule
-------------
Dough In Temp: 38 Time: 20
Intermediate Rest Temp: 67 Time: 60
Saccharification Rest Temp: 72 Time: 10
Mash-out Rest Temp: 78 Time: 10
Sparge Temp: 78 Time: 0

Water
-------
RO/DI water built up to the following profile.

Calcium 110
Magnesium 20
Sodium 15
Sulphate 250
Chloride 50

My first revision only used a little CaCl2 and CaSO4 to bring the mash PH down and achieve a Cloride / Sulphate ratio of 1:1.

This revision is being brewed next week and as I said, it will be in the WA Xmas in July Case Swap (plus revision 3 will be in the Perth Royal Show) so hopefully I can get some unbiased feedback.

Cheers :beerbang:
Sounds like a rip snorter.
Getting all those hops might be a trick for me.
I have spoken to Brendan Varis from Feral Brewing and he did mention he uses Whitelabs yeasts.
I love Hoegaarden but his Feral White using the whitelabs just didn't do it for me. Wyeast imo is better in it's characteristics.
I have used dried yeasts when I get lazy but the liquid yeasts seem to produce better results in my experience.
I would like to hear your opinion though.

Cheers

Hawko777 said:
Sounds like a rip snorter.
Getting all those hops might be a trick for me.
I have spoken to Brendan Varis from Feral Brewing and he did mention he uses Whitelabs yeasts.
I love Hoegaarden but his Feral White using the whitelabs just didn't do it for me. Wyeast imo is better in it's characteristics.
I have used dried yeasts when I get lazy but the liquid yeasts seem to produce better results in my experience.
I would like to hear your opinion though.

Cheers
Ive also spoken to staff at Feral and I was told they use US05. It is rumoured that it isnt even rehydrated also but that is something that has been discussed plenty on AHB. Ive not used any whitelabs yeasts however 001, 1056 and Us05 are meant to be the exact same strain.

That aside, I think I may try 1272 at some stage as I find sometimes my beers are just missing something. Id like to see the effect of 1272. My 3rd revision of this recipe is being brewed in a week for the Perth Royal Beer Show so once that has come back with some feedback it will give me a better idea on where to improve.

danestead said:
Ive also spoken to staff at Feral and I was told they use US05. It is rumoured that it isnt even rehydrated also but that is something that has been discussed plenty on AHB. Ive not used any whitelabs yeasts however 001, 1056 and Us05 are meant to be the exact same strain.

That aside, I think I may try 1272 at some stage as I find sometimes my beers are just missing something. Id like to see the effect of 1272. My 3rd revision of this recipe is being brewed in a week for the Perth Royal Beer Show so once that has come back with some feedback it will give me a better idea on where to improve.
Keep us updated in your results! Would love to hear how it goes at the show!

danestead said:

Keep us updated in your results! Would love to hear how it goes at the show!

I finally got around to doing a side by side

Look:
mine came out slightly darker, may be due to it being a touch cloudier.
Mine also got a nice amount of head on the pour (~5mm). HH got much less

Smell:
mine is not as citrusy as the HH. mine also has a slight smell of malt and side by side, i think i can smell the diacetyl LRG pointed out

Taste:
the HH is a touch bitter..er, but smoother. mine also has the faintest taste of roasty malt. i think i may have carbonated a poofteenth too much.

Overall:
i find this to be an awesome beer by itself, just doesnt quite live up to its name sake. not quite as complex as it needs to be.

Conclusion:
Vs the original recipe, i think i need a little more late additions to bring up the bitterness softly, and a bit more dry hop to keep up with the punch in the nose of the Hop Hog.
i think i will also need to tweak my fermenting technique. different yeast, colder with a D-rest. the yeast dropping the FG down those extra couple of points prob didnt help with the smoothness.

Reading the revisions youve made to the recipe, it should be a goer!
its back on my list of next beers to make

Many thanks to you Mr Dane!

and your bottles and taps look cool.

n87, speaking of Hop Hog, I brewed v3 today. Here are a few cheeky photos.

Just after mash in.
10340067_10152358643932883_622256301727503045_n.jpg

Transferring to the fermenter.
10636239_10152358643682883_1967315547625167935_n.jpg

Cool,

Cant wait to hear how it turns out.

n87 said:
Taste:
the HH is a touch bitter..er, but smoother. mine also has the faintest taste of roasty malt. i think i may have carbonated a poofteenth too much.
Maybe try first wort hopping your bittering addition, see if that smooths it out?

Where are you getting a roasty malt flavour from?

carniebrew said:
Where are you getting a roasty malt flavour from?
the beer...

maybe roasty isnt the right word, but i can get a hint of not light malt.

Ok, I deserved that...

Any chance you might have scorched the grain at some stage?

Latest posts

Back