Dano's All Grain Feral Hop Hog Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just set my brewery back up, going to try this next brew, looks like a ripper. I don't have Simcoe though so I'll probably use more CItra in it's place.

Do you have a Beersmith 2 file?

Logman said:
Just set my brewery back up, going to try this next brew, looks like a ripper. I don't have Simcoe though so I'll probably use more CItra in it's place.

Do you have a Beersmith 2 file?
Sorry mate I dont have a bs2 file.

Thanks for sharing, awesome that you included the extra detail inc water profile etc!

couple of questions danestead, would love to give this a crack, but as its a bit of an outlay for ingredients I don't want to do it half a$$ed.

I BIAB no chill, but could attempt to cool the wort with ice bags etc. and ditch the no chill if you think it will make a difference?
is your end volume 25l?
as opposed to the various stages you mash at, could I just go 90 mins at 66 degrees for example?
is 90 min mash essential?
is adjusting water profile essential? as I have never paid much any attention to this before.

as I said happy to do the hard yards, just probably limited with my equipment is all.

time01 said:
couple of questions danestead, would love to give this a crack, but as its a bit of an outlay for ingredients I don't want to do it half a$$ed.

I BIAB no chill, but could attempt to cool the wort with ice bags etc. and ditch the no chill if you think it will make a difference?
is your end volume 25l?
as opposed to the various stages you mash at, could I just go 90 mins at 66 degrees for example?
is 90 min mash essential?
is adjusting water profile essential? as I have never paid much any attention to this before.

as I said happy to do the hard yards, just probably limited with my equipment is all.
i did mine BIAB no chill. i threw the 15min hops in the cube, and didnt worry about the water chem.
i did do the step mash.

mine is still in the fermenter, will be botteing it at 3 weeks in the fermenter (was/is away for half of that, will be bottleing when i get home)

by the way i figure it, if you dont hit the nail, you will make a dint close.... either that our you screwes something up big time.

EDIT: fixed drunken mess... i hope

time01 said:
Answers in red!

I know there are a lot of hops in this, but seriously, you could do it with a single variety like Amarillo or try Amarillo and Simcoe (which is meant to be an amazing combination). Its going to end up a really great beer if not better than the muddle of my 5 hop varieties.

I BIAB no chill, but could attempt to cool the wort with ice bags etc. and ditch the no chill if you think it will make a difference? I haven't ever no-chilled so I can't help your there but what you are after in this beer and AIPA's in general is lots of late hops. Do what you have to do to achieve this with no-chill. Also, make sure you allow for the IBU's that will be continuing to extract as your wort slowly cools in the cube or whatever - otherwise you will end up with an over bitter beer like my first batch
is your end volume 25l? My post boil volume is 25L, I then lose about 2 or 3L to trub in the kettle, 1L to shrinkage and about 2L in the fermenter
as opposed to the various stages you mash at, could I just go 90 mins at 66 degrees for example? Yes that should be fine. or your info. the 72 degree step is for head retention. Not critical however i've had some good success in a 10min 72deg rest giving a beautiful creamy lasting head
is 90 min mash essential? Probably not, I just did that because this beer stretches the capabilities of my system so I thought I would give it an extra half hour than normal
is adjusting water profile essential? as I have never paid much any attention to this before. Nope - that is just me trying to really dial in the ideal water profile for an IPA however whatever water you use normally should be just fine

Good luck!

danestead sounds like the volume you are left with at the end of fermentation is 19-20litres?
as I BIAB and put hop additions in a bag I don't lose a great deal to rub.

thanks very much for the detailed reply by the way.

time01 said:
danestead sounds like the volume you are left with at the end of fermentation is 19-20litres?
as I BIAB and put hop additions in a bag I don't lose a great deal to rub.

thanks very much for the detailed reply by the way.
yeah 19L into a keg

Bottled this on Sat.
tasting promising, clearing up really quickly aswell.

but its not carbing up fast enough! argh!

n87 said:
Bottled this on Sat.
tasting promising, clearing up really quickly aswell.

but its not carbing up fast enough! argh!
Kegging is my only answer to that!

I'll be brewing my 3rd batch in about 4 weeks. Fingers crossed it's the best version yet :)

Hey Guys,

I'm a noob with this all grain thing, and even more of a noob with brewsmith.
This recipe sounds good and I'm planning on doing it this weekend.

I'm just wondering if anyone can help with the Barrett Burston - Ale Malt in brewsmith?
I don't know much about various grains, and as Ale malt doesn't appear in brewsmith, I'm wondering which one I should select.

Cheers.

in Beersmith, i used 'Pale Malt (2 row) UK (5.9 EBC)'

MAX POWER said:
Hey Guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone can help with the Barrett Burston - Ale Malt in brewsmith?
I don't know much about various grains, and as Ale malt doesn't appear in brewsmith, I'm wondering which one I should select.

Cheers.
My first recipe used a pilsner malt with 20% munich malt as opposed to an ale malt and 10% munich in the 2nd (and soon to be 3rd trial). I havent really got a particular base malt as a preference for this beer as yet however your standard pilsner, golden promise, ale and even maris otter (possibly cut the munich back some more though or get rid of it all together) should be fine. I just use what I have at the moment and it happens to be BB Ale.

MAX POWER said:
Hey Guys,

Cheers.
There's an add on menu in beersmith where there is a list of all different brands of malts and yeasts. You will probably find you have to add it from there and then it will appear in the grain menu

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

So I've chickened out a bit on all the changes (albeit minor) for my 3rd edition Hop Hog Clone. I think it is better I stick to a couple of minor changes per brew to not complicate and muddle things too much. I was going to edit my post #31 however it seems it is locked out now so below the WA Xmas in July Case Swap comments I've attached the updated and copied post.

WA Xmas in July Case Swap comments for Dano's Hop Hog Clone (edition number 2):
  • NEV- First off I got the mineral bite but after the first glass it mellowed, its a good beer, nice and mellow and not too hoppy for me. Cheers
  • StalkingWilbur - Damn. I really enjoyed this. If I had known what I was in for I would've made sure I had a hop hog on hand so I could do a side by side. The aroma jumped out of the bottle and reminded me of hop hog. I think the taste was pretty close too and packed a nice hop flavor and punch. Will be looking to brew this at some point.
  • lanerigg - a bloody good clone! really enjoyed it. Will be making it soon
  • keifer33 - Great beer mate. Maybe a little drier and slightly more hop aroma and it will be an even better beer.
  • recharge - hop hog clone. I had a feral hop hog in tap at the kalamunda hotel on Wednesday for lunch, was disappointing. Not so with your beer, it was very enjoyable good balance of malt and hops I was looking for more. Thanks.
  • jyo- yup- this is tops. I shared this with a mate who is a Hop Hog freak and we were both impressed. If you truly want a clone, then I agree with Keiffer with there maybe being too much body, but flavour and aroma were pretty damn close. A great beer.
  • Ned- I enjoyed this, well balanced, not quite as aggressive as the real deal, but pretty bloody good
  • danestead- cheers for the feedback guys, really appreciated. I also agree that the body needs some thinning and a dryer finish and the aroma needs a boost which it what I've adjusted for my planned version 3.
  • Neander - Loved this beer. Didnt take notes at the time but I was impressed with the likeness of the clone. Would be happy to sit back and drain a keg.

Below is the revised, and largely copied from post #31, final recipe for edition 3 which is getting brewed for the Perth Royal Beer Show in 3 weeks. Changes in bold:

Well here is a substantial update on the tastings of my Hop Hog Clone (Revision 2).

I went back into Devine Cellars yesterday and the 3 gentlemen there had a taster of my beer and comments were along the lines of; "Best homebrew I've had in a while", "If it was a commercial beer I would have thought that it's a good one", "it really has that fruity American IPA nose", "Balanced" and "the taste lingers". The only criticism was that the mid palate could be improved a little. I'm not sure how I'd go about that or what exactly it means but I'll sit on it and see what the case swap guys say. This taster was not had in parallel to a genuine Hop Hog.

I had my last taste last night and the keg is now empty because the rest has been bottled up for the WA Xmas in July Case Swap this weekend. My comments and what I am trying to achieve with the 'Revision 3' below are:

More aroma - Adding a whirlpool addition.
Very slightly more bitterness - It is well balanced ATM however trying to balance it a little more toward bitterness to give that iconic IPA hit. The revised target FG should achieve that.
Adjusting the individual hop amounts - Trying to bring a bit more pineapple and citrus to the beer.
Reduce hop flavour slightly - Reduced the 15min addition by 20%
Adjusting the OG and target FG - OG to 1.057 and aiming for a FG of 1.013 (as measured in a genuine Hop Hog this morning) equalling 5.8%
Slight Mash sched. adjustment - Trying to sneak the FG down 1 point.
Cleaner ferment - Fermenting at 16 degrees with a 22 degree diacetyl rest once gravity hits 1.020.

Planned recipe below.

Enjoy!

Recipe: Dano's Hop Hog Clone (Recipe 3)

Equipment
-------------
20L Braumeister

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (L): 25.00 (post boil)
Anticipated OG: 1.057
Anticipated FG: 1.013
Anticipated EBC: 15.6
Anticipated IBU: 55 (more than the Feral website's 48 IBU - yes)
Mash Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes
Alc by Volume: 5.8%

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
85.8 4.86 kg. Barrett Burston - Ale Malt Australia 1.038 6
10.0 0.57 kg. Weyermann Munich I Germany 1.038 15
4.2 0.24 kg. Weyermann Caramunich II Germany 1.035 125

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

24.00 g. Magnum Pellet 10.93 16.4 60 min.

13.00 g. Citra Pellet 12.92 8.9 15 min.
13.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.60 5.9 15 min.
8.00 g. Cascade Pellet 7.63 3.2 15 min.
8.00 g. Centennial Pellet 9.10 3.9 15 min.
8.00 g. Simcoe Pellet 11.03 4.7 15 min.

6.00 g. Citra Pellet 12.92 0.0 Whirlpool at 70 degrees.
6.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.60 0.0 Whirlpool at 70 degrees.
4.00 g. Cascade Pellet 7.63 0.0 Whirlpool at 70 degrees.
4.00 g. Centennial Pellet 9.10 0.0 Whirlpool at 70 degrees.
4.00 g. Simcoe Pellet 11.03 0.0 Whirlpool at 70 degrees.

Once the boil is up I will immediately immersion chill to 70 deg to lock in the IBU's and stop isomerisation, add the whirlpool hop addition then do a whirlpool/stand for 15 mins prior to plate chilling into the fermenter. On revision 1 I didn't immersion chill straight away which resulted in a large overshoot in IBU's (even though I based that recipe on 48 as opposed to this one's 58).

13.00 g. Citra Pellet 12.92 0.0 Dry Hop
13.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.60 0.0 Dry Hop
8.00 g. Cascade Pellet 7.63 0.0 Dry Hop
8.00 g. Centennial Pellet 9.10 0.0 Dry Hop
8.00 g. Simcoe Pellet 11.03 0.0 Dry Hop

Dry hop for 4 days toward the end of fermentation in hop bag then remove (revised procedure).

Yeast
-----
Fermentis US-05 American Ale

Fermented at 16 degrees. Diacetyl rest at 22 degrees once gravity hits 1.020.

Mash Schedule
-------------
Dough In Temp: 38 Time: 20
Intermediate Rest Temp: 66 Time: 20

Intermediate Rest Temp: 67 Time: 40
Saccharification Rest Temp: 72 Time: 10
Mash-out Rest Temp: 76 Time: 10
Sparge Temp: 76 Time: 0

Water
-------
RO/DI water built up to the following profile.

Calcium 110
Magnesium 20
Sodium 15
Sulphate 250
Chloride 50

I sent my version to Mr Goomba as his lotto winnings, and it looks like he will be giving it a full writeup in a couple of weeks.... it still needs a little bit of time in the bottle.

and by beersmiths calculations, mine came out to 56 IBUs, though i no chilled it, so there is no easy way of confirming that.

so feedback from both parties that received this beer is positive.

Lord Raja Goomba I: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/81843-2014-july-lotto-tasting-thread/?p=1215512

Jaypes: Nicely carbed and a great hop aroma. Ibu's are bang on with the malt profile. Mate you are on a winner with this one. Maybe a little diacetyl but nothing that stands out. Send me the recipe!

Personally, i am yet to try it now that its carbed up fully, have one in the fridge doing some final clearing waiting for me to get rid of this damn flu.

That's great n87, I'm glad they enjoyed it. My brew also had a slightly flawed ferment so hopefully I can sort that issue out when I brew it again in about a week.

Latest posts

Back