Crazy low FG....?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

einnebcj

Reaction score
Into the second week of fermenting the coopers clone on the recipe database. 18l stovetop BIAB. brew day went off well and starting gravity was bang on the money. Took a sample tonight and dipped the hydrometer in - 1.004! Recipe sees FG at 1.012. Big difference! The sample was heavily sedimented - dead yeast and probably got a little more trub in the fermenter than ideal. Could this impact the reading?

Thoughts?

Cheers

Chris

I've wondered about trub altering gravity readings in the past. I did a few tests swirling large amounts into some samples and found no significant change in gravity readings.
My money would be on mash temps. What was your mash schedule?

I find the gravity climbs on the refractometer a little as the trub drops out, but maybe only by .002-.003.

Lots of other factors to consider, mash schedule yeast health etc. Have you done this brew before?

Did you use a refractometer or hydrometer for that reading?

Being stove top BIAB - grain put in at 70c and mashed for 90 minutes - approx 13l of water. After 90 temp was 61 with a reading of 1.030 - adjusted to 1.044@20c

You've probably spent a significant amount of time in Beta town, producing a highly fermentable wort, combined with the Coopers yeast has got you down under where you want.

Kegs or bottles?

Maybe you could steep and boil a little spec malt and add? Considering this myself on a CPA kit Brew I have in atm that I feel lacks a bitof body (go figure)

In bottles......can you expand the spec malt solution....uncharted end waters for me......

So...should I just continue and bulk prime in a few days or......other thoughts? What will be the result....just a high alcohol content or will taste....head retention...other been affected?

I did the same recipe clone with recultered yeast from a dozen stubbies in a double batch.
biab no chill in the fermenter @1038 done @1002 .

Well that's reassuring Gabba.....thanks. Never had one drop down so low! It's as low as the cider I've got sitting next to it at the moment!

Latest posts

Back