Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

Modding the FERMENTASAURUS

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by The Punt, 11/4/18.

1. S.E

Posted 14/4/18
    I’ve just remembered that these things come fitted with a floating dip and went back to re read your post and see I completely missed the bit that you replaced it because the ball was sticking and giving trouble.

The float I use is a Cask Widge and has never stuck to the side of my 15 Gallon corny. I bought it in the UK a few years ago but thought I saw that one of the site sponsors stock them here.

Here are the spare floats on the UK website: http://www.caskwidge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7&zenid=lYXHXkbd6FU8sKDkmSi5x1
    they also have a ss hop screen fitted.

The Punt likes this.
  2. The Punt

Posted 14/4/18
    Yeah, a floating dip tube hose to pull clear beer from the top is good in theory, but the one supplied with the pressure lid isn't a great design. If the silicone tube was a bit larger in diameter, it could be clamped over the short dip tube to prevent it becoming detached. Same for the float end of the tube. I like the idea of the hop screen.

3. markp

Posted 14/4/18
    The silicon hose supplied does slip over the original short dip tube, I have it set up like that on my fermentasaurus and never slips off.
    Cheers.

The Punt, Yuz and blotto like this.
  4. Kev R

Posted 14/4/18
    The butterfly valves are more expensive and there is the obstruction of the butterfly in the bore. ( I think that may be the cause of blockages with the original valve) The sanitary ball valves have no obstruction. Disassembly cleaning, the 2 parts of the body, body seal, 2 ball seals and stem and seals + reassembly 5 min tops and im'e 100% sure that it's clean

5. buckerooni

Posted 8/5/18
    a
    awesome, brilliant stuff! I'm hoping this gives more clearance under the unit, so I can potentially lower the unit a little (cut/mod the base) so I can fit it (with the pressure) kit into a fridge I have lined up that is about 50mm too short with a standard 'sauras (fingers crossed).

6. blotto

Posted 9/5/18
    Yeah I've got mine set up with the hose over the dip tube and over the tube on the float, pushing it inside is incorrect. @The Punt you need to watch the keg king youtube vids that explain how to set up the fermentasaurus because it sounds like your doing that part wrong, not that it matters now you've gotten rid of the float.

The Punt likes this.
  7. mashmaniac

Posted 10/5/18
    The whole idea of TC fittings is they are sanitary, there are no threads for nasties to hide. I'm not knocking the OP, just remember there is still a few spots there that will need a thorough cleaning. I have a stainless conical, to clean I simply hose out , fill with perc (soak 1 hour), drain, strip the TC's and dump them in a bucket of perc till next use, then star san every thing before use. That regime won't work with this there are still threads to scrub.
    Maybe MKII will be closer to the mark, these are probably closer to the mark for simplicity of cleaning with similar upgrade to whats shown here.

8. buckerooni

Posted 17/5/18
    wow, the 2014online blokes are fast - delivered in 8 days! still waiting for the butterfly valve...

The Punt likes this.
  9. buckerooni

Posted 5/6/18
    thanks Punt, can fit this in a 450L fridge :)

[​IMG]

citraman1 and The Punt like this.
  10. The Punt

Posted 15/6/18
    @markp and @blotto you guys are right, the silicone tube DOES fit over the dip tube and float. I have gone back to using the float after having a near disaster with an IPA I made recently that blocked BOTH the gas in and the beer out disconnects. Don't ask....
    Also, as far as sanitizing goes, if you remove all the tri-clamp fittings and loosen the lock ring, you can then fill a Bunnings 5 litre handy pail with your sanitizer of choice and let the bottom section of the fermenter soak overnight without unscrewing the plastic/stainless bits. I am yet to have a problem with infection...yet.

blotto likes this.
  11. peterlonz

Posted 16/6/18
    I like the very workmanlike approach to these mods. Well chosen components dealing with fairly obvious problems.
    Pity that the manufacturer did not see the glaring need because solving with plastic parts in volume would not add greatly to the overall cost.
    On the basis of what appears above I will delay any proposed purchase I had floating around in my head.

12. Peta

Posted 25/6/18
    The silicone hose for the float can be put OVER the post on the pressure lid. It has never come off for me. Not sure the keg intake is a great mod ...

13. shacked

I like beer

Posted 8/10/18
    @/// check this out!

14. wide eyed and legless

Posted 12/10/18
    You guys who have removed the original butterfly valve from the bottom of the FV, have you thought about refitting it at the top close to the opening, you could put your dry hops in the bottle and when you are ready to dry hop open the butterfly valve and drop the hops in.
    The problem with the curvature could be overcome making a thicker silicone washer to get a good seal.