Couple Quick Cider Questions.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicko_Cairns

Reaction score
G'day guys,

So if I want to add extra kick to a cider brew I could throw dextrose/brew enhancer etc, so I'm guessing that I'll dissolve a brew enhancer into a couple litres of boiling water, then add 20L or so of juice, then wait for the temp to get below 30C and add yeast from a yeast starter. Then put onto a temperature setting and let the yeast work wonders. Let me know if anything typed above is wrong.

Probably a silly question but what temperature should I brew a cider at? Is is the cooler the better, or just a low 20ish setting? Is it yeast dependant? Heading to my local homebrew store on saturday to get some supplies, well second hombrew store, went into one the other day chasing steriliser and unfortunately the asian lady didn't know what I meant, with some sign language and looking around the store we eventually found it but unfortunately I didn't get to ask a few other questions I had in mind... it would have taken far too long..

Thanks for the info.

Brew closer to 16C depending on yeast choice.

Skip the kit, get the cheapest bottle juice you can find to make up your volume. That already has enough sugar in it, another saving.

Buy a sachet of white wine yeast to ferment with.

Get at least one bottle of good juice - like the cloudy apple from the fridge section for the mix. Alternatively, chop up apples and try to pure and add. Don't do this step and you might end up with pretty bland alcoholic cider. Personal choice.

And yeah, learn from it and keep asking questions :)

Yeast dependent but generally as cool as the yeast will allow. I usually go for around 14 with a white wine yeast or wy 4766.

I have also used wy sweet mead yeast (similar temps).

If brewing from juice, you will generally get a cider between 6 and 7% without adding sugar - cider will ferment right out and leave no residual sugar. If you need an extra kick, I suggest adding apple brandy or vodka to each glass.

Back