Coopers Vintage Ale - What Will It Be Like?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BYB passed on a 6 pack of the 1998 vintage - will get into it soon.

In the meantime i am still working my way thru a carton of 1999 and have a full carton of the 2000 batch.

The 1999 is sooooo tasty, it is so different from the fresh stuff, lots of sherry, port, raisins, a bit like my barleywine only watered down. Technically an old ale of sorts i would think. It has aged well IMHO.

Mine were stored in a pub cellar until about 3 years ago when i picked them up for the same price as the new batch sells for - the pub needed to make room in their cellar and no-one wanted to drink the stuff cos they thought it was out of date. $75/carton, yes please. :D

They have been stored inside in my faux cellar ever since. :party:

I crack one open every now and then when the mood and company are right.............

BYB

Very jealous. There's got to be a story behind that one. Where did you get it ??

Linky

I posted one up to Screwy in QLD. You never know he may want to part with it :lol: :lol:

BYB passed on a 6 pack of the 1998 vintage - will get into it soon.
Mine were stored in a pub cellar until about 3 years ago when i picked them up for the same price as the new batch sells for - the pub needed to make room in their cellar and no-one wanted to drink the stuff cos they thought it was out of date. $75/carton, yes please. :D

And where was my tap on the shoulder :(

BYB

I would have thought it unusual for the brewer themselves to say 18 months if it can cellar longer??

My bottle says it will develop more complexity if aged for up to 5 years. Certainly interesting reading about everyone's experiences, makes me want to grab a few cartons when funds permit and have some fun cellaring them and enjoying them as they progress.

Thanks everyone.

I have the 08. Drank my 04 early this year.
Im a Coopers member and i think i read on the site forums a while back that it should be drank with in 5 years or somthing like that......?
Anyway im sure Coopers does not recomend vitage be at its peek after 7 pluss years....... but each to there own.

hey,

where do people store / age their vintage??

I currently have mine stashed under the floorboards on the bare earth.

Obviously ideal aging temperature is around 15 degrees.... would putting them in a normal bar fridge (4 degrees-ish) slow the aging process too much.

Linky

I posted one up to Screwy in QLD. You never know he may want to part with it :lol: :lol:

Ansolutely no chance. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Andy and I think, and brew alike, and we're a little nuts when it comes to GREAT beer. Tomorrow is the final day of my 8 weeks penance without alcohol. In celebration was going to open the Vintage plus another couple of beers sent by other brewers. But..............the Sunshine Coast Brewery is having their Octoberfest and I am going to go down and support them.

No disrespect to Andy or other brewers who have posted beers for me to sample......quite the opposite........I want to be totally in tune before tasting their beers and will hold off a few days (on a beer ration ATM) before doing so. And boy am I looking forward to it :lol:

Cheers,

Screwy

Back