Partial mash for Coopers vintage ale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fokker

Reaction score
Hey guys,

1. New to Brewing and will be looking at modifying the below recipe to a partial mash.
2. waiting for the equipment to arrive so have a month or so prior to doing this brew then will probably move to all grain BIAB.

So below is the link to the recipe

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/coopers-vintage-ale-20.html
Now it was thinking of doing this like

30mins re grain mash, remove, then add extracts and dextrose. Bring to boil

60min 2/3 Sultana hops
20/15min enigma and rest of sultana hops
Cool, place into FV

Dry hop as per recipe.

I've plugged into to the software and all falls pretty close in the parameters for an English IPA.
I haven't used hops before so I'm not sure how it will come out.

Should I give that ago or go by what the recipe tells me? any advice would be great.

Cheers,

Don't boil the kit at all, you'll increase bitterness as it's already hopped.

I'd add all the dextrose and malt extract at the end as per the recipe as they'll dissolve fine in the hot water.

Happy to be corrected though! :)

Don't boil the kit at all, you'll increase bitterness as it's already hopped.

I'd add all the dextrose and malt extract at the end as per the recipe as they'll dissolve fine in the hot water.

Happy to be corrected though! :)
Thanks Beergee

I'll do everything re hops ect then place kit in at the end prior to chilling and transfer to FV?

Bit of an odd one to do for a first crack but its all learning right?

Just read the instructions on the Coopers site, follow them! They are pretty good at what they are trying to accomplish.
Adding all the extract and dex would need a lot more water than the 2L recommended for the grain steep, otherwise it would be so thick it is almost guaranteed to burn in the stock pot. You really don't want to boil a wort at too high a gravity. Other point is that if you dilute it to near fermentation gravity, you then have a large amount of wort to cool and you want to get it cooled and fermenting as soon as you can otherwise the risk of infections goes through the roof.

I would go for the re-cultured Coopers yeast and a lot of it, bottle in glass, this sort of beer improves so much over time that I think its a really good idea to give at least some of it a year or more in bottles.

Hard beer to classify, I get an OG of roughly 1.070 so perhaps an Old Ale, mind you its leaning on the hops hard enough to be a Specialty IPA, that might be closer... not that it really matters what you call it, I'm voting for "hoppy kilt tilter" (hoppy wee heavy).
The Vintage range have been consistently good beers for a lot of years.
Mark

This is supposed to be a very nice kit as it is. If it was my first go I'd just make it to the instructions.

Friend of mine, his grandfather had a fairly big company many years ago. When he was hiring a new manager he would have them to his house for dinner. If they put salt on anything before tasting it they did not get the job.

Back