Coopers bogged down in bible backlash?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
same sex unions, marriages, were documented in ancient Mesopotamia, predating any hebrew scripture. It's hard to know before the advent of writing in Sumeria 5000 years ago but it would be fairly safe to assume they were already happening

The institution and formalising it in a ceremony... reproduction existed long before Christ.

Merely affectionate chiding, Brewnicorn. :)

I didn't say marriage existed solely as a Biblical principal. There are other definitions, and other cultures have very similar concepts.

But if you are seriously trying to suggest that Christ did not articulate the foundational principles of Christianity - one of them being marriage - then - well, let's just say I might be forced to use still more affectionate chiding.

TimT said:
The institution and formalising it in a ceremony... reproduction existed long before Christ.

Merely affectionate chiding, Brewnicorn. :)

But if you are seriously trying to suggest that Christ did not articulate the foundational principles of Christianity - one of them being marriage - then - well, let's just say I might be forced to use still more affectionate chiding.
Some might thing you patronising. Philosophers have argued these points for longer than I care to give you in the spotlight. I take some of your points. The rest I think I'll file under trolling. Or Goosing, if you want to claim the copyright on that I don't mind.

Coopers statement this evening puts a lot of this thread to bed I should think.

If you're going to argue philosophy, history and creationism with reference to breweries, at least call principles: principles and principals: principals.

I can't palate the concept of a pallet as my palette.

manticle said:
If you're going to argue philosophy, history and creationism with reference to breweries, at least call principles: principles and principals: principals.
I can't palate the concept of a pallet as my palette.
There their with they're things, while where were we are.

All rather sad how people get their knickers in a knot oh so easily.

As I watched the video I didn't think that in any way it implied that Coopers was against same-sex marriage. Both sides were given a fair opportunity to put their views, it was done civilly, and in good humour. It was exactly the type of discussion that Australia has been engaged in for some time, but with a lot more heat and frank hatred than happened here. It seems that Coopers celebrating the Bible Society's 200th anniversary is the real issue. The boycotting of Coopers over their associating with a Christian organisation seems to me to be hypocritical. To be consistent, you need to track down every company which endorses or accepts any view which you disagree with, and then boycott those as well. Unfortunately, business realities have pressured Coopers into releasing a statement distancing themselves from the original video.

The views expressed in the original video are well known and established, and are nothing new. Why should it raise such an uproar now?

warra48 said:
The views expressed in the original video are well known and established, and are nothing new. Why should it raise such an uproar now?

. social media activism is how people protest these days . and is more effective than the old school, lets go sit down at parliament house and sing songs. it hits corporations where it hurts. like it our not its here to stay.

I'm not saying its the most positive way for the world to work , but it's a fact that it is the way it is now

any corporation that gets on the wrong side of this issue is going to get heat . to a growing many a basic human right is being denied . and like all human right issues that number is going to swell until change is just unavoidable . there is such an uproar because change is happening

madpierre06 said:
If you're going to accept it, or not, as related in Genesis at the beginning, then reference to man and wife predated any actual religion completely. Gen. 2:22 - 24.

Must have been a typo, totaly understandable in a meandering chronicle / dictation. Heres the evidence from the Garden of Eden itself (circa 4000 BC). I obtained this from the same source that Mel Gibson acquired the 'eye witness' accounts (his words) from which he dramatized that uplifting masochistic thriller 'The Passion', so it must be legit.

5b3ca35b917fdb178d730fc072a33e09.jpg

madpierre06 said:
If you're going to accept it, or not, as related in Genesis at the beginning, then reference to man and wife predated any actual religion completely. Gen. 2:22 - 24.
But my book of beliefs state that the beginning happened like this,

It began with the forging of the Great Rings. Three were given to the Elves, immortal, wisest and fairest of all beings. Seven to the Dwarf-Lords, great miners and craftsmen of the mountain halls. And nine, nine rings were gifted to the race of Men, who above all else desire power. For within these rings was bound the strength and the will to govern each race. But they were all of them deceived, for another ring was made. Deep in the land of Mordor, in the Fires of Mount Doom, the Dark Lord Sauron forged a master ring in secret, and into this ring he poured his cruelty, his malice and his will to dominate all life. One ring to rule them all.

Now there is just as much evidence to prove my book to be true as there is regarding your book.

If we are required to enact laws and customs based on the stories from your book, then it is only fair that my book gets a run as well.

Bit of a blunder by Coopers but I think they have learn't their lesson. Time to move on.

Much true history occurs in the bible but you still have to sort the grain from the chaff.. . like most religious documents the books were written, selected and edited by men. Men are fallible.

Mattress said:
But my book of beliefs state that the beginning happened like this,

It began with the forging of the Great Rings. Three were given to the Elves, immortal, wisest and fairest of all beings. Seven to the Dwarf-Lords, great miners and craftsmen of the mountain halls. And nine, nine rings were gifted to the race of Men, who above all else desire power. For within these rings was bound the strength and the will to govern each race. But they were all of them deceived, for another ring was made. Deep in the land of Mordor, in the Fires of Mount Doom, the Dark Lord Sauron forged a master ring in secret, and into this ring he poured his cruelty, his malice and his will to dominate all life. One ring to rule them all.

Now there is just as much evidence to prove my book to be true as there is regarding your book.

If we are required to enact laws and customs based on the stories from your book, then it is only fair that my book gets a run as well.
Blasphemy.

The truly enlightened understand that it all began - "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....".

I demand you recognize this fact immediately, failure to do so will leave me no choice but to declare war on you and drive you from this forum.
(or you may choose to pay me a gratuity deducted directly from your income if you wish to stay, I'm good either way)

good4whatAlesU said:
like most religious documents the books were written, selected and edited by men. Men are fallible.
Not to mention the number of translations the book has gone through. Have you seen how different the versions are?

Also as far as I can ascertain, the New testament wasn't even written until at least 70 years after Christ's death. So the stories must already be a generation old by the time they've been put to paper. Now to read a book "...and then Jesus said to..." well it's a pretty big pill to swallow.

"Based on a true story" may have been a better tag line to the book.

This passage is particularly amusing .. unless your one of the boys of course.

Elisha Is Jeered
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys. 25 And he went on to Mount Carmel and from there returned to Samaria.

The rest I think I'll file under trolling. Or Goosing, if you want to claim the copyright on that I don't mind.

I was a bit argumentative last night Brewnicorn and I probably shouldn't have used the term 'goose'. (It seemed less lame and more affectionate than 'you silly'). Free to use the term 'Goose' yourself if you like. And hey, nothing wrong with them. Fine bird.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/39/Domestic_Goose.jpg

good4whatAlesU said:
This passage is particularly amusing .. unless your one of the boys of course.

25 And he went on to Mount Carmel and from there returned to Samaria.
I first read that as "He then went on to mount camel"

Latest posts

Back