Coopers real ale kit + bits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clickeral

Reaction score
So seeing as how I have now moved house and sort of got my garage setup (needs more storage and organizing). Along with foolishly agreeing to a house warming on the 21st I thought I should smash out a quaff-able kit beer to fill one of the kegs so that the Kegerator has something on tap

Recipe as per below :)

1X Coopers real ale kit
1X BE2 (part of a packet)
1X 250g Coopers pale ale malt

25g Nelson Sauvin at 20mins

So after sanitizing everything,

250g of malt went into 3.4L of water into a pot on the gas stove and taken to a rolling boil, added 25g of Nelson Sauvin and boiled for 20mins (used some hot water to rinse out the bag of malt) (I grabbed a few Tablespoons of the liquid to use as a starter to rehydrate the kit yeast (I normally use US05 or US04 but I am all out)

While this was happening I put my kit can into some hot water in the sink and dumped my lump of BE2 into the fermentor

Poured the goop all over it with a little hot water from the boiled kettle to clean the can out.

Once the timer was up I filtered out the hotbreak and the hop residue and then poured her straight into the fermentor, mixing it up to add as much 02 as I can.

Topped upto 23L and with some added ice got her down to about 25C, pitched the yeast and chucked her into the fermentation fridge pics below :)

Going to ferment it out at 17C, Currently no idea of SG as I left my measuring cylinders at my mates place tipping it will be about 4-5% abv when finished if my math is right (happy for correction :) )

20170108_195359_zpsa9jjbktr.jpg

Temp probe is taped to the side of the fermentor :)
20170108_195406_zpsmrr3rr1x.jpg

Any thoughts or critics would be great, thanks all

Sounds good to me. Should help ease the ambient temp stress on the body... :drinks:

The real ale kit is pretty bitter 35-40 IBU from memory. If you want, maybe try dry hopping if you have anything to add?

With the Cooper kits, already having bittering added. I add hops @5 and /or whirlpool around 80 degrees C and throw in fermenter. I seem to dry hop all my Apa's now, 2 grams / litre minimum.

TwoCrows said:
Sounds good to me. Should help ease the ambient temp stress on the body... :drinks:

The real ale kit is pretty bitter 35-40 IBU from memory. If you want, maybe try dry hopping if you have anything to add?

With the Cooper kits, already having bittering added. I add hops @5 and /or whirlpool around 80 degrees C and throw in fermenter. I seem to dry hop all my Apa's now, 2 grams / litre minimum.
I have heaps of hops to add :p might dry hop some more Nelson Sauvin

Didnt realise the real ale was that high on the IBU scale opps haha

TwoCrows said:
I looked it up real ale only 30 ibu in 23 ltrs.
Yeah so with the Nelson Sauvin I am looking at about 60IBU all up :p

Put down a Homebrand draught with 12g of Nelson Sauvin @10mins a packet of BE2 and 250g of golden coopers liquid malt

Should be about 20IBU and 5% I grabbed some yeast from the bottom of my 98IBU IPA and a Bright Brewery pale ale to do a small starter that has now been pitched will see if its fermenting in the morning if not then I will pitch the kit yeast

Currently at 25C and moved my ITC810 temp probe onto the new fermentor the other fermentor will drop temp but they should equalize overnight :)

So happy that I can fit two fermentors in this fridge :D

What nice find about the Coopers real ale kit, I was going to start my own thread to ask this question.
Coopers label has written SG or OG = 1038 using the coopers brew enhancer #2

However my brew was SG 1050. Which is 6.28% potential alcohol content

Coopers kit.
250g light dry malt from local homebrew store
750g dextrose from local homebrew store

Would the light dry malt and dextrose from a LHB be fresher and stronger then the packet mix?
Or is there any other reasons I ended up with a higher SG then the label?

rhino86 said:
What nice find about the Coopers real ale kit, I was going to start my own thread to ask this question.
Coopers label has written SG or OG = 1038 using the coopers brew enhancer #2

However my brew was SG 1050. Which is 6.28% potential alcohol content

Coopers kit.
250g light dry malt from local homebrew store
750g dextrose from local homebrew store

Would the light dry malt and dextrose from a LHB be fresher and stronger then the packet mix?
Or is there any other reasons I ended up with a higher SG then the label?
Brew enhancer 2 has maltodextrin in it as well about 250g from memory, youve probably added an extra 250g of dextrose :p

clickeral said:
Brew enhancer 2 has maltodextrin in it as well about 250g from memory, youve probably added an extra 250g of dextrose :p
Maltodextrin will be there in the OG just like dextrose. Big difference is that maltodextrin will still be there in the FG, whereas dextrose will have converted to alcohol.

For a kit, OG way higher than expected will absolutely be the heavy sugars/malts sitting at the bottom of the fermenter when you draw your sample from the tap. Better mixing, and discarding the first ~100mL of fluid from the tap, are required for accurate readings.

Back