Coopers bogged down in bible backlash?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
considering the geographical region in which it was written, it was probably meant to read "mount a camel"

So we're slightly off topic. We're now no longer talking about Coopers, or about the 'initiative' of the Bible Society using Coopers Light to lubricate 'debate' of who should have basic rights and who shouldn't - we're now just slagging the Bible.

*shrugs*

Carry on, I guess...

Liam_snorkel said:
considering the geographical region in which it was written, it was probably meant to read "mount a camel"
Liam_snorkel said:
Transfer to Australia

Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport'

mongey said:
well apparently that's the next thing that happens once you legalize gay marriage
You need to stop reading those Cory Bernardi pamphlets..

Not unsurprising is the blatant mocking of someone and their belief system, and the support of such mocking......from those who cry foul at the first sign of disregard for anyone else's rights or beliefs. Quality work.

Nobody is questioning your right to believe in things, just don't expect them to be taken seriously in an argument about something that predates your belief system.

mongey said:
. social media activism is how people protest these days .
The problem with that is that people are faceless (as on this site) and say anything they want without being held accountable for what they say. It's much easier to protest against something via social media under some pseudonym where there is basically no responsibility for what you/they say than to do it face to face and be held accountable

Wobbly

Belief - here lies the crux of the matter. If you prefaced your statements with "I believe" we wouldn't have the responses that you take offense to. The problem is that you argue your point by quoting as fact from a book which is a fundamental part of "your" belief system and documents history in a particular way, and expect everyone else to unquestioningly accept it, even though its not a part of their belief system. In doing so you devalue everyone else's belief system that doesn't match with yours - similar to the disregard and mocking you refer to but in a less overt way.

For example, a Mormon might join the discussion and state - "Marriage should not be between a man and a woman, it should be between a man and several women. It says so in the Book of Morman, a book that was written through a prophet by the hand of God. Therefore the law should be changed to allow this" they probably wouldn't get a great reception as they are quoting the book of morman as fact rather than representative of their beliefs.

Discuss your beliefs as such but communicate them as your belief, and there will be more respect.

Commemorative Coopers Premium Light beer if they are withdrawing the beer what is going to happen to the unsold cans of beer taking to landfill would just be pure evil .

Liam_snorkel said:
Nobody is questioning your right to believe in things, just don't expect them to be taken seriously in an argument about something that predates your belief system.
Not necessarily...we have both agreed previously that you and have see things very differently in a number of ways, but in no way will I disrespect or ridicule your points of view or beliefs in any discussions I may have with you. I wil,l always understand that your reasons for your beliefs are quite valid to you (the 'you' being plural as well as singular). And I'll defend to the death your right to your belief...and in any discussion on your beliefs, I will take them very seriously .

earle said:
Belief - here lies the crux of the matter. If you prefaced your statements with "I believe" we wouldn't have the responses that you take offense to. The problem is that you argue your point by quoting as fact from a book which is a fundamental part of "your" belief system and documents history in a particular way, and expect everyone else to unquestioningly accept it, even though its not a part of their belief system. In doing so you devalue everyone else's belief system that doesn't match with yours - similar to the disregard and mocking you refer to but in a less overt way.

For example, a Mormon might join the discussion and state - "Marriage should not be between a man and a woman, it should be between a man and several women. It says so in the Book of Morman, a book that was written through a prophet by the hand of God. Therefore the law should be changed to allow this" they probably wouldn't get a great reception as they are quoting the book of morman as fact rather than representative of their beliefs.

Discuss your beliefs as such but communicate them as your belief, and there will be more respect.
Not necessarily so, Earle. When the concept of 'belief' has been discussed in the past, it confirmed for me absolutely something which I knew to be true. And I'd happily discuss the why's of that privately with anyone who had an open mind to it. When speaking to the subject which was central to this thread, I come from a value-related point of view based on certain teachings. Other people's points of view come from other values or opinions....neither of which have I ridiculed either overtly or otherwise. I know those teachings I follow to be truth....in no way am I saying though that yours or Liam's or anyone else's opinion is less than valid or worth listening to. My book does say though, that I will be ridiculed for what I believe in.

madpierre06 said:
Not necessarily...we have both agreed previously that you and have see things very differently in a number of ways, but in no way will I disrespect or ridicule your points of view or beliefs in any discussions I may have with you. I wil,l always understand that your reasons for your beliefs are quite valid to you (the 'you' being plural as well as singular). And I'll defend to the death your right to your belief...and in any discussion on your beliefs, I will take them very seriously .
The difference here is that I don't "believe" anything, and neither does Australian common law or legislation have a basis in beliefs.

wynnum1 said:
Commemorative Coopers Premium Light beer if they are withdrawing the beer what is going to happen to the unsold cans of beer taking to landfill would just be pure evil .
My guess is they will dilute with a 50:50 solution of water and yettie urine and repackage it in Great Northern bottles and send them up to Queensland.

madpierre06 said:
. I know those teachings I follow to be truth....
There is a difference between knowing and having faith. I'm sure you have faith that these teachings are the truth but you don't know it as fact.

If you know it to be true I'd be more than obliged to see the evidence of that. It would be a world first.

Preaching a literal interpretation of the bible as the 'truth' and 'fact' is probably not going to garner a whole lot of respect to be fair. But I guess in the 21st century anything can be a 'fact' if you want it to. #AlternativeFacts.

madpierre06 said:
Not necessarily so, Earle. When the concept of 'belief' has been discussed in the past, it confirmed for me absolutely something which I knew to be true. And I'd happily discuss the why's of that privately with anyone who had an open mind to it. When speaking to the subject which was central to this thread, I come from a value-related point of view based on certain teachings. Other people's points of view come from other values or opinions....neither of which have I ridiculed either overtly or otherwise. I know those teachings I follow to be truth....in no way am I saying though that yours or Liam's or anyone else's opinion is less than valid or worth listening to. My book does say though, that I will be ridiculed for what I believe in.
So my point of view comes from other values or opinions - the teachings that you follow are "the truth" - but in no way are you saying my opinion is less valid?????

Why can't the values that I follow also be "the truth"?

Liam_snorkel said:
Is it the term marriage that predates the christian belief or the concept of a lawful partnership? Meaning that, does the word marriage show up in any literature pre bible?

Latest posts

Back