Coopers bogged down in bible backlash?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
madpierre06 said:
I'm waiting for the penny to drop as to how the vast majority of the venom that is spewed is TOWARDS those who are being accused of being closed minded and bigoted.
Yeah its funny that. Actually its not funny at all.
"Lets call them ugly! and every other derogative name we can and act ugly ourselves with lynch mobbing, witch hunting, internet public forum gang bashings"
The new age bullies armed with bashing sticks labelled as political correctness exercising prejudice.

Ah the hypocrisy's of people.

jesusbeer.jpg

madpierre06 said:
I'm waiting for the penny to drop as to how the vast majority of the venom that is spewed is TOWARDS those who are being accused of being closed minded and bigoted.
Yeah that's a good point. People are pretty passionate, and probably need to temper the vitriole somewhat. The catch is, we're talking about rights and liberties being taken away. This is not simply a debate of meat vs vegetarian vs paleo diet - it's debating why fundamental civil rights should be extended to good, hard-working people or should not. Why is that even a debate?

MHB said:
Some fucker will always whinge, I think its the only way they can get noticed - certainly not because what they have to say has any value or meaning and it isn't memorable.

Coopers donate to a charity that gives away bibles, that charity makes a vid, with coopers beer in it, some people who believe in the bible blame coopers because they don't like the topic in the vid... go figure.
Mark
That's the joy of being a reasonably big corporate entity (family owned or not). Probably not a great idea to piss off a whole bunch of your market with religious pig shit. Also a good lesson for Coopers as to who exactly makes up their market. Not just the rusted on oldies in SA who couldn't care less about such issues. They are too big to get involved in this sort of stuff now. Just concentrate on making beer and perhaps if you want to donate to bible thumpers and oppress certain minorities under the flimsy pretext of having a beer do it as an individual rather than drag the whole company through it.

Or do whatever you like (as you are entitled to) and watch sales plummet.

I believe coopers and anyone , are allowed to support any cause they wish. if they want to wear those affiliations on their sleeve then that's their call ,

if their beliefs alienate some of their core market then they need to cop that , there is no point trying to down play it today .

I'm a 42 old ,married, straight , atheist with 1 kid . I support same sex marriage . Does this change what beer and home brew products I would buy ?

you know , it kinda does.

Coopers need to get Christopher Pyne to act as there Savior hes the fixer.

Yeah, I won't be buying coopers anymore.

It was their move to publicly air their political views and they will have to wear the consequences of that.

Contrary to what some people have said, I haven't seen any hate being thrown at the Bible Society or Coopers, just people saying they will no longer buy or stock Coopers beer.

Donations to the Liberal party is one thing. Good or bad it is common knowledge.
But donations to the Bible Society, WTF? How much effort have they put into keeping this under wraps over the years? And why the secret? I wonder?

I bet there will be lots of prayers at the next Coopers board meeting.

Bad move Dr Tim.

That's one reason I don't eat Weetbix, the company is entirely owned by the Seventh Day Adventist Church.

The other reason is that I wouldn't feed breakfast cereals to a pig (exception, oat bran porridge with sultanas, dates and drizzled with cream).

Bribie G said:
That's one reason I don't eat Weetbix, the company is entirely owned by the Seventh Day Adventist Church.
At least they don't seem stupid enough to print Bible versus on the box.

pcmfisher said:
Donations to the Liberal party is one thing. Good or bad it is common knowledge.
But donations to the Bible Society, WTF? How much effort have they put into keeping this under wraps over the years? And why the secret? I wonder?

I bet there will be lots of prayers at the next Coopers board meeting.

Bad move Dr Tim.
I can get that people are upset over the content of the video, but I fail to see the difference between donating to a christian society and the halal and kosher certification, which from what I can gather, they would pay an annual fee to have.

Don't blame Coopers because our government can't make a moral decision about someones right to marry whoever they want, at least they are allowing both view points to be heard.

I will still drink their beers, well not that shite light stuff. Who am I to judge someone for their beliefs.

I spoke with a brand owner today who has ordered extra kegs to cover venues pulling coopers from their tap list.

Parks said:
At least they don't seem stupid enough to print Bible versus on the box.
It's only on this limited edition beer made for a specific client groups anniversary but isn't it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zFehQaFSjw

bradsbrew said:
It's only on this limited edition beer made for a specific client groups anniversary but isn't it.
Yes, and TBH I don't think that's even the issue at heart.

The issue people are having is them trying to

a) make light of a topic that means a lot to a lot of people
B) try to detach themselves from involvement when the whole thing looks like an LNP, Coopers and Bible Society commercial

If you don't like any of your money going to the Libs, and you live in a state where coal powers electrical generation, better disconnect the appliances or go offgrid. I suspect Coopers donations pale in comparison to those of the coal companies.

Better idea: severely and effectively cap political donations and curb lobbyists. Their power is a growing international problem.

Regarding the Christian group and others like it, as an atheist I don't like feeding them even indirectly and I suspect a lot of Christians would boycott a product whose profits go to LGBT causes, but I'd go mad trying to track down where every company or owning family spends their dough. It is one's right not to buy something, but I'd hold the boycotts for worst cases. Is this one? I'd need details.

And be careful what you wish for. Coopers is the largest obstacle in the way of an SAB MIller/Lion Nathan duopoly.

Balance:

In the way of nonchristian promotions there's always He'Brew the Chosen Beer,
http://shmaltzbrewing.com/beer/. On the other hand Wasatch brewery in Utah markets Polygamy Porter under the slogan “Buy a sixpack for your wives.”

I guess there's a lot in play here: and point - counter-point will have us at it til the cows come home.
My personal issue, Coopers have elected to take a position, their opinion public and they did it in a awkward statement commenting directly on a controversial issue. Separation of church and state is one thing we know barely works in practice, but I hate seeing this stuff creep into politics. Their support for a religious organisation and moreover a vehicle for active opposition to what I see as a human right, is a shit thing to do. Even if as a family owned business 'they' personally hold that belief. The belief is out of step. The law is out of step. The company is out of step. Politics, as always skip-stepping the **** backwards away from good judgment. Momentum alone will see this right wronged and it's a shame to see a good company **** themselves over by making a (mis?)calculated move like this.
Coopers can make a statement. People opposed can 'whinge'. But hate the whinge, don't hate the issue.

Edit: I know Coopers denied sponsoring the 'event' but the Bible Society stuff speaks for itself, surely.

Just heard on news radio that Coopers had nothing to do with the video. It wasn't their call. I cant believe this makes news!
As for their choices? I'll chose not to believe any religious doctrine but I'll be stuffed if I'll carry prejudice for those who do.
I will boycott going to church though ha..
For the people's backlash to boycott Coopers for such a thing is just another perfect example of prejudice...duh...
It never ceases to amaze me. Point out prejudice, and exercise prejudice. Double standards galore. People are lost. Were is the evolution?

Danscraftbeer said:
Just heard on news radio that Coopers had nothing to do with the video. It wasn't their call. I cant believe this makes news!
As for their choices? I'll chose not to believe any religious doctrine but I'll be stuffed if I'll carry prejudice for those who do.
I will boycott going to church though ha..
For the people's backlash to boycott Coopers for such a thing is just another perfect example of prejudice...duh...
It never ceases to amaze me. Point out prejudice, and exercise prejudice. Double standards galore. People are lost. Were is the evolution?
The boycotting is not prejudice, it is choosing not to support a company whose values don't align with yours. Social media in 2017 turns this benign approach in to a circus.

I don't donate to the Salvation Army or any other religious organisation as their values don't align with mine.

Latest posts

Back