Computer Help

• Thread starter bradsbrew
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually the cable from Power Supply to M/B is a multicoloured batch of wires to a large two row plug socket thingy.

A dry joint on the motherboard can be easily fixed with a spot of solder and soldering iron.

At least you know what it is just hate mysteries when it comes to strange faults.

Banshee I love scripts for backing up. They just work well. Family and friends who ask for computer help all end up with a big "backup" icon on their desktop for a similar script which I then run with task sheduler. Saves me a LOT of hassles. That combined with "TeamViewer" save me getting of my arse unless people have serious issues these days.

Bradsbrew Get an external drive and create a batch script (or get a cluey family member or friend to write one for you), run it regularly - or even set it to run automatically using task scheduler. You'll not look back. We store WAY too much important data such as photos on our PCs these days to ignore backups. I learnt the hard way about backups - lost all my sisters wedding & honeymoon photos. Thankfully I stumbled across them on an old HDD when doing a file recovery about 5 years later (was checking old HDDs and disposing of them once any important data was backed up - I threw out 18 HDDs ranging from 120meg - 5gig). They we're backed up, burned to disc and emailed straight away LOL (one of my luckiest moments!).

Bradsbrew Get an external drive and create a batch script (or get a cluey family member or friend to write one for you), run it regularly - or even set it to run automatically using task scheduler.

Even simpler- most external disks you get these days come with backup software that take care of the whole thing for you. just set it up and each time you plug the drive in or press the backup button on the drive it backs up. No scripts to write and so simple even my mother in law can do it.

Cheers
Dave

It was probably the system32 virus. Thankfully it's easy to delete*** [link likely NSFW and in general, not safe for your delicate sensibilities].

180px-Advice_dog_system_32.jpg

*** Please note that if you ever, ever take advice from dramatica, you have only yourself to blame, and probably shouldn't be allowed in front of a computer in the first place. DO NOT TAKE THE ADVICE GIVEN IN THE LINK!

Back