Help with recurring infection...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also don't rely solely on cleaning and sanitising from 2 weeks ago (if I read that correctly). Yes, clean immediately after use but things like silicon, I boil (from cold water so I know the object is thoroughly pasteurised) directly before use, then sanitise with no rinse.

No I certainly wasn't relying on cleaning from 2 weeks ago... hehe. I cleaned and sanitised the silicon hose immediately after the previous brew. Once I discovered it was infected, I had a look at the silicon hose and noticed it was well colonised by nasties.

So I do believe now that boiling silicon hose prior to use is mandatory.

No I certainly wasn't relying on cleaning from 2 weeks ago... hehe. I cleaned and sanitised the silicon hose immediately after the previous brew. Once I discovered it was infected, I had a look at the silicon hose and noticed it was well colonised by nasties.

So I do believe now that boiling silicon hose prior to use is mandatory.

Think I have just experienced the same problem - first chilled wort I’ve done on for a long time and on this current system. Everything was cleaned and sanitised but did not boil the silicone hose before transfer as normally 90+*C wort. End result batch was infected and 45L to the worms. Will be reviewing process from here in.

Think I have just experienced the same problem - first chilled wort I’ve done on for a long time and on this current system. Everything was cleaned and sanitised but did not boil the silicone hose before transfer as normally 90+*C wort. End result batch was infected and 45L to the worms. Will be reviewing process from here in.

Sorry to hear that mate, but on the other hand happy that this thread, and my 5 dumped batches (not a total waste, my hop plants have loved it!) have helped someone :)

I dismantle clean and sanitise all my taps each brew, both kettle and fermenter. Haven't had to dump a brew in over 10 years.

Sorry to hear that mate, but on the other hand happy that this thread, and my 5 dumped batches (not a total waste, my hop plants have loved it!) have helped someone :)

Thanks mate, appreciate your assistance! Never nice dumping a batch, let alone 5, so glad you sorted it.

Brewed again today - boiled hose, replaced fermenter and went back to no chill so hopefully that solves it. We’ll see....

Latest posts

Back