Coles And Bi-lo Delete Home Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same in all industries these days where the Beancounters have taken over like an insidious disease.

Why do they write in the same way that police speak when being interviewed (allegedly BS). ? :D

For all nearby - Coles @ Carlingford Court had all international range (except the ESB) reduced to $6 (but the woolies had the cerveza last week for $4).
I have more than enough stocks so someone please buy them before I'm tempted again.
ps - they also had the Coopers starter kit for $70.

Coles at West Lakes has 1 Coopers starter kit left for $44.99 if anyone wants. If it's too far get someone to pricematch. I was tempted to just grab it even though I don't need it, one can't have too many fermentators you know :]

Response from Coles to my email complaint:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding the availability of Coopers Home Brew at Coles.
We regret to learn of your disappointment with our decision to no longer range this product and would like to extend our apologies for any inconvenience you have been caused as a result.
The decision to remove this product was not one made lightly.
Our Merchandise Team is constantly reviewing our product range to ensure that we are meeting the needs of our customers.
When selecting our merchandise, previous sales history and customer demand are assessed.
This includes obtaining the right balance between Proprietary brands and Coles brand products.
Every product, no matter what brand, has to earn the right to remain on our shelves.
We set financial hurdles for Coles brand products as well as Proprietary products. Should the product not meet these hurdles, it is removed from sale.
This rationale allows us to deliver innovation and increase space to categories with large sales growth.
As a result of our assessment, the complete product range of Home Brew products, not just the Cooper brand, has been removed from most Coles and Bi-Lo stores.
There are some stores however, where the customer demand for this range is high and will remain on the shelves.
We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Your comments have been referred to our Merchandise Team for their consideration and information."

Looks like a form letter.....

It's a shame the oil/fuel companies cant be as strong as Coopers. Most of us despise the monopolies

Coles Greenacres SA
Toohey's kits half price
most coopers kits are gone barring a single ESB (though that wasn't discounted)

Really odd.

The Swan St Coles Richmond (near dimmeys) still seems to be fully stocked with Coopers goo, and no probs at the Woolies/Safeway near me despite some saying they're seeing deletions within their safeways. The only prob I've seen is very little in the way of Stout kits. They appear to have been popular given how friggin' cold it's been in Melb of late. Long live Coopers! :)

Maybe the sky isn't going to fall on my head afterall. Still plenty of places to get this stuff.

I live around the corner from Coles head office in Tooronga and was ready to take it to them directly - looks like I don't need to worry.
But I did get the form letter everyone else got. And so have about 3 of my buddies.

Hopper.

I remember seeing this topic in the top threads list a few times but never got around to reading it. I thought the title meant that just the coles brand goo was being deleted.

I realised this was not the case last night at 9pm when bottling a batch of Rye IPA, everything set up and ready to go, when I discovered I had no crown seals. Fear not, there is a coles 5mins walk away, so I bolt up there and fark me, all there is in the HB section is friggen non-alcoholic wine! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Not bloody happy. So the IPA got kegged instead, which I didn't want to do. Stupid coles.

Just picked up 9 cans of goop for $48.

Could go a few toucans or 9 batches of half the volume :)

Bargains, picked up some ginger beer kits too for summer.

It's still a shame though for the kit n kilo brewer of having a big supermarket that it convientent to get two for back up supplies.

cheers

dicko

Just been into my local Coles and the Homebrew is still there and back up to original prices. $11.00-13.00 a can.
Looks to me just the ones left from the selloff that they couldn't move out at $6.00 as there are only a few varieties on the shelf.

I don't see the point of Woolies keeping their range of homebrew including coopers cans in white and premo, carb drops, dex, brewing sugar, caps etc etc BUT deleting boxes of coopers dry malt from their range. Most annoying when you need to make a starter and in a bind.

Mate of mine reports that Coopers is still available at Coles Westfield Doncaster Shoppingtown (Eastern Suburbs Melbourne), as he was there last week.
He even has the tins of liquid sugar available there that I haven't seen elsewhere.

Hopper.

local coles had sold out and now has some more tins of cooper european lager on shelves in addition to some tooheys and coles brand ones.

My local Coles had a sell out of all HB gear, only to be replaced with identical gear a few weeks later.

The small portion of shelf was vacant for approx 2 weeks.

Now all the small "regular" selection is back at usual Coles prices.

Cheers

i only shop @ coles and Kmart because i have a Coles staff card (5% off)
wollies has a better selection but i don't get a discount :(

if they made a decent homebrew product i would be genuinely upset. but such as that is not the case i don't give a shit.

Kmart has deleted all Coopers and Brigalow stock too , now i've got to pay the HBS prices for crown seals and carb tabs.

I know it's been said before, and I know I'm lucky that I don't have to worry about the price difference, but...

I'm quite willing to pay a small amount more for caps, etc at the HBS and give them a viable business. Mutual self interest - they give me good advice and stock a whole pile of niche products.

Price difference for the bottle caps - $1
Value of good advice and friendly service - priceless

Back