Coles And Bi-lo Delete Home Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHB

Reaction score
News that might affect many of you, it appears that Coles/Bi-Lo are deleting their entire home brew range.

Coopers response to club members who have enquired goes like this View attachment 38863 (I've just saved the text)

And there is discussion on the Coopers Website
MHB

That is certainly going to piss a lot of K&K brewers off! Safeway/Woolies/BigW will be rejoicing as it means more customers buying the kits from them!

I suppose the LHBS selling Coopers kits will be happy about it too?

That's pretty crap. Doesn't affect my brewing much (although I can occasionally pick up some crown seals) but I know walking past the home brew aisle in either coles or safeway is what led me to full mash brewing.

I recently noticed my local K-mart has limited their range (nearest place to buy DME for starters if I run out) so maybe Safeway will follow suit.

On the upside it may mean more business for independent retailers.

That's pretty crap. Doesn't affect my brewing much (although I can occasionally pick up some crown seals) but I know walking past the home brew aisle in either coles or safeway is what led me to full mash brewing.

I recently noticed my local K-mart has limited their range (nearest place to buy DME for starters if I run out) so maybe Safeway will follow suit.

On the upside it may mean more business for independent retailers.

QFT. My situation exactly.

While it won't affect me at all, the thought that *some* of those sales would go to a LHBS is a nice one.

should lead to some nice "clearance" specials for those bargain hunters. Shame I dont shop at coles..

Excuse me for not reading the article, but does it give a time-frame? Now read, no indication of time. For those who still are K&K or KnB - keep an eye on clearance prices, and don't be afraid to negotiate on multi-purchases.

Cheers,

microbe

Edit - Damn I'm a slow typer!

That's a big blow for coopers. I agree it's a profits decision but not regarding the margin on kits, I reckon it's got more to do with the profit they percieve their liquor outlets are missing out on by people making their own plonk.
From the wesfarmers website...they sell
beer, wine and spirits at Liquorland, Vintage Cellars, 1st Choice Liquor Superstore and Coles Online

That's a big blow for coopers. I agree it's a profits decision but not regarding the margin on kits, I reckon it's got more to do with the profit they percieve their liquor outlets are missing out on by people making their own plonk.
From the wesfarmers website...they sell

I doubt it. While they are all owned by Wesfarmers, each division is treated like its own business, so Coles in reality doesn't give a crap if Liquorland is missing out on sales. I'd say that the % of kits they have to discount because of a low code is too high for their liking.

I reckon the % they miss out on from people brewing their own might be close to 0.000000039% of a beesdick's impression of an ant's balls.

Probably more to do with products that don't shift from the shelves.

Ya not wrong about coles not giving a flying kcuf about other branches of the same company...I used to work for Vintage Cellars, even between liquor brands the care factor is zero.

I reakon they are discontiuing the line because A: there isnt the turnover and they cant get a "home brand" equivanlent to which they can appliy rediculous margin too.

Ya not wrong about coles not giving a flying kcuf about other branches of the same company...I used to work for Vintage Cellars, even between liquor brands the care factor is zero.

Yeah. Coles is now selling bikes, despite heaps of them being in the same centre as a KMart. My store got 16 pallets of toys the other day.

That is certainly going to piss a lot of K&K brewers off! Safeway/Woolies/BigW will be rejoicing as it means more customers buying the kits from them!

Think like a business. THis means higher prices charged by Safeway/Woolies/BigW as less competitors are in the market offering K&K Home Brew supplies.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Well, while Coles is exiting, there's still a few players- Woolies, Safeway, KMart, BigW, Foodland/IGA etc- enough to keep some competition around.

i will be keeping an eye out in COLES for bargains..i get my caps in bulk there cheaper,than supermarkets

i wonder how long before woolies follow the coles lead, maybe coopers woudnt cough up to pay for shelf space.

different companies a bit more like tweedle dee and tweedle dum, i have always been amused how they have the same specials on a week apart. ps. the missus works for coles do i have to declare affiliation :unsure:

Latest posts

Back