Coles And Bi-lo Delete Home Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the caps is a PITA if you dont have a very LHBS, I needed PET caps and went to coles then bi-lo.......... nothing. Woolies were good though, 40 minutes later and $5 of juice.
Coles? FUCKEM!

I know it's been said before, and I know I'm lucky that I don't have to worry about the price difference, but...

I'm quite willing to pay a small amount more for caps, etc at the HBS and give them a viable business. Mutual self interest - they give me good advice and stock a whole pile of niche products.

Price difference for the bottle caps - $1
Value of good advice and friendly service - priceless

+1

I would rather spend an extra 3 to 5 here and there on a small local shop than a large supermarket

Price difference for the bottle caps - $1
Value of good advice and friendly service - priceless
Not many would argue against this but I will say this - I need to do a round trip of 2 hours to get to my closest LHBS that can offer anything even remotely resembling good advice and I know a great many people are in the same boat. Bugger supporting ignorant retailers just because they're in a niche market I happen to be interested in. Big W will continue to collect my cap and priming sugar related pittance instead of the local grow-room purveyors.

I think the above misses the point as to why most people like caps to be found at a supermarket. Most people live in cities, suburbs or towns of some type. Most cities, towns and suburbs have a local supermarket. If you go to bottle on a Sunday and realise you've not got enough caps (as happened to me a week ago), the supermarket carrying them is convenient. The home brew shop both miles away and closed on a Sunday is not.

I'll spend a portion of most pays at my LHBS and that includes caps when I remember them. It's ocassional that my beer addled brain leads to me needing to duck out the door and grab a pack in 20 minutes though. I'll probably spend the $1 saved at grain and grape anyway.

Latest posts

Back