Coles And Bi-lo Delete Home Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK...local Coles in Mt Barker SA, very little left, marked way down: Toohey's draught a couple)( $8.75, Coopers English bitter x1, euro lager x1, both at $11.50; 4xcoopers ginger beer at $9.05. But I mean, what's the point? KMart alongside is selling the ginger beer at $9.75, the other two Coopers at $13.50, and Daught, Lager, Stout, at $10.25, Pale Ale at $13.50, so it goes. So Coles didn't do much of a price cut. Oh and BTW, home brands are $6.50. Isn't this fun...

bought 2 cans farmland (lager and draft) for $2 ea (short use bye) everything else ~30% off at Malvern Vic Coles last week.

Thinking of adding both cans in with some extra hops (I have 20g Cascade), and the sugar mix that came with my coopers kit and see what happens. Any pointers on using more than one can in a brew? I've been using mostly fresh wort kits.

Funny how this thread went from calling for a Coles boycott to advertising their prices.

Wife was just at Coles Gawler (I don't shop there I'm a Foodland man I stopped shopping there since I watched the 4 Corners- the price you pay) rang me from there to say everything in the homebrew section was reduced to clear as like very where else, following Boiler boys lead I got her to a can of farmland lager for making starters. What made me laugh the most was, that they have repackaged the can must of cost them a pack only to stop stocking it ha ha ha.

Well just had a trip to my local coles (burnside) and the bastards didnt have bugger all out cheap cept farmland lager ($6) and maybe $1.25 saving for thooeys can thought what a damn waste of my time be so much easier if the coles accross the rd hadnt closed and buggered off maybe they couldnt care for us in the better off areas :unsure:

Just straighted reading the instructions on the new packaging totally cracked me up no wonder they can't the stuff.
Brewing direcctions
2.Add 18 litres of cold water and providing temperture of liquid is below 35C add yeast and stir breifly
3. Maintain temperture of brew at 25c to 35c

Oh my giddy aunt no wonder Home brewing has a bad name when shyte like this is written as directions to brew, talk about being setup to FAIL!!!!
Helping protect the there megaswill buddies maintain market share.... Bar stools

2.Add 18 litres of cold water and providing temperture of liquid is below 35C add yeast and stir breifly
3. Maintain temperture of brew at 25c to 35c

I've never bought Coles homebrew brand...is this really written on the can??? Reminds me of my first couple of years brewing using 2 heater belts...:icon_vomit:

Everything marked down in Armadale, W.A. too. There are also 2 new homebrew shops just opening in Perth, so hopefully (as much as it may inconvenience some brewers) Coles discontinuing their range will allow these new blokes to stay in business.

Cheers, John.

Streuth! You guys...

Anyone would have thought John Lennon had ...err, married Cynthia.

Is there a point? Are people disappointed? Are we all waiting for the next boat person to come along and rescue us?

Not sure I see a problem with your concerns...

As one door closes, you all seem to be waiting for all the others to slam shut.

Where's your entrepreneurial spirit, your bloody mojo, or your larrikin tradition of disdain for authority, propriety and the saccharin conservative norms of bourgeois Australia?
Unfortunately, it seems to be a two sided self-perpetuating dynamic; the social conservatism of the mainstream fueling the undercurrent of larrikinism and rebellion that, in turn reestablishes the puritanical mores and wait for it... censorship. Err, I digress - Coles dropped a tin of malt extract? Surely there's an app for that? Surely someone'll fill that gap...

I know it's Tuesday - and it shouldn't excuse my jaded cynicism, what's the problem?

WTF is a Beano?

:blink: Mate, you havnt lived :lol:

I was subjected to Beano comics as a kid, probs cos my old man is from essex and grew up with them!

Whoa scuffy, its too early in the morning to comprehend your post

Just heard now on the radio that what appears to have created the situation in regards to coles deleting there hombrew range is that Coles were demanding a greater cut on Coopers homebrew kits threatening that if a better price could not be obtained they would delete there product.

Coopers reply was simply "Go ahead"

I guess Coopers is in a financially strong enough position to thumb its nose to at least one of the heads of the two headed supermarket monster.

Cheers,
BB

Sorry just reread MHB first post info its all in there

Bought a handful of "reduced" stuff from coles. Best was a $9 Mex Cerveza can. Walked thru Carlo woolies on the weekend and saw it for $4... don't you hate that? There's probably a few more left.

Just heard now on the radio that what appears to have created the situation in regards to coles deleting there hombrew range is that Coles were demanding a greater cut on Coopers homebrew kits threatening that if a better price could not be obtained they would delete there product.

Coopers reply was simply "Go ahead"

That's made my day!

Very happy with that.

Our store near me are even reducing their Tooheys cans

They are removing their homebrew sections entirely - not just Coopers. So no more bottle caps, dex, priming lollies, useless bloody brigalow hydrometers. Nothing.

Although I did read somewhere that some stores (where HB is quite profitable) may be retaining their HB sections. Hopefully this is in regional areas where there aren't really any other options for some.

I mostly shop at ALDI, the lasses there know me by name now (as the staff numbers there are small and stay for years seeing as ALDI actually look after their people) and I keep ribbing them "when are you going to get home brew supplies". Maybe the word will filter up. Tins of Helles, Bock, etc - we can only dream.
Most ALDI stock is their "homebrand", so they are unlikely to sell Coopers.

Our local Safeway (Woolies) at Traralgon is clearing ALL HB stock (Coopers & Tooheys).

Just checked Coles at Newton (SA) and bought Coopers English Bitter at $6.09 a can.

Plenty of everything else left if anyone wants some.

Response from Coles to my email complaint:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding the availability of Coopers Home Brew at Coles.
We regret to learn of your disappointment with our decision to no longer range this product and would like to extend our apologies for any inconvenience you have been caused as a result.
The decision to remove this product was not one made lightly.
Our Merchandise Team is constantly reviewing our product range to ensure that we are meeting the needs of our customers.
When selecting our merchandise, previous sales history and customer demand are assessed.
This includes obtaining the right balance between Proprietary brands and Coles brand products.
Every product, no matter what brand, has to earn the right to remain on our shelves.
We set financial hurdles for Coles brand products as well as Proprietary products. Should the product not meet these hurdles, it is removed from sale.
This rationale allows us to deliver innovation and increase space to categories with large sales growth.
As a result of our assessment, the complete product range of Home Brew products, not just the Cooper brand, has been removed from most Coles and Bi-Lo stores.
There are some stores however, where the customer demand for this range is high and will remain on the shelves.
We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Your comments have been referred to our Merchandise Team for their consideration and information."

Looks like a form letter.....

Back