Coles And Bi-lo Delete Home Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could go on but you get the drift.

The forum post stripped out all the HTML text format coding of the original E-mail. It looked much better in the different colours and typefaces when I received it.

On topic our local Coles now has hardly anything left few bottle caps and odds and ends.

My closing down Toucan is up and running like a train with some Galaxy and Amarillo additions.
Going to be nice and bitter after my normal session shop brew of JS IPA.

the Coles at Richmond Victoria gardens is almost bare shelved.. the K-mart in the same complex has a sale on at the moment on their remaining stock... which as of last night is without ANY coopers green cans which were $11 (I ended up with about 10 of them).. but still have some (quite a few) stouts and lagers etc..

I asked and they have no orders or plans to replace stock..

waaaaa :angry:

i asked my manager are going they going to get any home brew in and he said NO..even the farmland is going from our coles stores..

The forum post stripped out all the HTML text format coding of the original E-mail. It looked much better in the different colours and typefaces when I received it.

On topic our local Coles now has hardly anything left few bottle caps and odds and ends.

My closing down Toucan is up and running like a train with some Galaxy and Amarillo additions.
Going to be nice and bitter after my normal session shop brew of JS IPA.

Remaining OT for a minute - my post (which was a slight tweaking of yours) was a light hearted dig at the whole 'we walked 50 miles barefoot in the snow' mentality of [some] older people. If I were to take it seriously for a minute I'd suggest that I (born in 1975 so the cusp of the people mentioned in that email) absolutely detest the idea of a nanny state. I believe strongly in DIY and taking responsibility for oneself and the less the government has to do with how I run my life (not hurting anyone else) the better.

The people pushing the ninny nannying though are none other than those people who were born in the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s. How old are all our politicians and moral majority groups? Who run the stores and schools and corporations and franchises? Who sits on education boards and municipal comittees? Are they 10 years old and spoilt brats or are they mainly pushing 40 and 50 and sometimes 60? The people making the decisions that affect our lives are exactly those mentioned in that diatribe. People like Kevin Rudd who envisions a utopian society where everyone is in bed by 9pm, only has a tot of sherry on Sundays and at Christmas and where everyone goes to Christian churches and Sunday school are the same, dull middle aged twits who've always made the decisions the rest of us supposedly can't make for ourselves.

Back on topic - vote with your feet guys. IF you have the choice, shop at Safeway (for everything incl HB) and make sure to tell your local coles manager exactly why. IF you have the choice sod both and shop elsewhere for everything but still tell Coles you're shifting loyalty to Safeway. In the meantime, support your LHBS IF you have one and IF it's any good.

Off topic but when I went to school in the 50s / 60s my secondary school was one of the biggest in Newcastle (UK) and we had:

One Asthma boy - we all were alerted to watch out and help if he had an attack
One polio boy who had to sleep in an iron lung - ditto look out if he needed help and get a teacher immediately
One tuberculosis (cured) girl who was thin, gorgeous and hot like you wouldn't believe. No particular requirements but explained why she was so skinny.

Nowadays there are millions of asthma kids and if you feed half a peanut to many of them they kark it on the spot. Until we moved into the council flat our bath hung on a nail on the kitchen door and bath night (singular) consisted of Dad then Mam then the two boys. We went last because after a day of climbing trees and generally rolling in shyte the water was always black. Ha.

And no we didn't live in a cardboard box in t'middle of t'road (that was before the tenement with the bath on the nail)

Edit: I agree with Manticle, because we were coming out of the absolute devastation of WW2 there was a huge and genuine need for government to step in and do great works for the people, especially in Europe and the UK, and that's where the Nanny state started to come in, and eventually got hijacked by the public service from where most of this crap emanates. So very good moves such as the panel on bread and flour (adding iron and vitamins to flour and bread in the UK after the War) laid the foundation for future idiocies such as the cholesterol fraud, the food pyramid, etc. There should have been a Nanny society 'cut off date' of around 1970 I reckon but the whole thing just kept breeding and breeding.

end rant.

Just been to Coles....Nowra
2 tins Generic
1 tin English Bitter
6 European Lager
3 Stout
NO DECREASE IN PRICE..... :angry:
Cheers

PJ :chug:

the Coles at Richmond Victoria gardens is almost bare shelved.. the K-mart in the same complex has a sale on at the moment on their remaining stock... which as of last night is without ANY coopers green cans which were $11 (I ended up with about 10 of them).. but still have some (quite a few) stouts and lagers etc..

I asked and they have no orders or plans to replace stock..

waaaaa :angry:

Hmmm. Interesting. The Swan St Richmond Store had plenty of stock on Friday. Can't speak for what happened over the weekend.

Hopper.

If you cannot get all your groceries before 9:00 PM you are either stupid or working shifts.
24 hour stores are only catering for insomniac armed robbers.
For all the so called men with pansy earings, nipple rings and all things poofter.

or for those stuck back in the dark ages!

:icon_offtopic: Arguably with 40% of Australians believing that Dinosaurs and people actually coexisted then we are probably entering a new dark age.

Metropolis_by_Fritz_Lang.jpg

Why would any sane person not working shifts be out grocery shopping at 02:00am. for everybody else there is 7-11 24hr stores.

I agree with Manticle to a point but all these older idiots making the rules up now are most likely the 'Warpheeds' from our schooldays. The ones that could not get dirty or play with all those unruly kids in the football team, would rather read an advanced Calculus book than the Beano you know the type.

Hmm, how about WA, I think we're still in the dark ages.
Thursday night's 9pm close time, every other day closing time is 5pm and closed Sundays.
IGA's are somehow able to be open till 7pm each night but are expensive.
... And I can't beleive the people of WA voted against week night trading and Sunday trading. It makes me angry.
I'm less effected at the moment, but I've certainly worked 5.5days a week, monday-saturday morning in remote locations. I drive back Saturday arvo and want to get shopping done on Sunday... but no.. nothings jolly open....

/end Rant.

Ok, what was this thread about again. Oh, Coles in greenwood had kits at ~$8 I think. That was a week ago.

My local coles (Leichhardt) as started to mark stuff down......

As for extended trading hours, as a shift worker I have been through a Coles at some odd times, K-mart too........You'd be surprised by how busy these places are at 11pm, I was expecting a ghost town but found quite the opposite.

Coles at Essendon Fields have Coopers Stout cans clearing out for $5 each. Get 'em while they last.
Coles at Essendon Fields have 4 Coopers Stout cans left, with a couple of packs of Carbonation Drops at $1.29 a packet.

aaaaaand, we're back On Topic

Picked up 5 cans of Coles homebrand lager for yeast starters here in Adelaide for $6.04 ea less 5% (sons discount card). marked "reduced to clear".

Cheers,
BB

My local coles (Leichhardt) as started to mark stuff down......

As for extended trading hours, as a shift worker I have been through a Coles at some odd times, K-mart too........You'd be surprised by how busy these places are at 11pm, I was expecting a ghost town but found quite the opposite.

agreed! as a shift worker it's nice not to have to pay $8.00 for a litre of milk.

saw the stout cans marked down and contemplated buying one or two at leichhardt coles, but in the end decided against it. might pick up some carbonation drops there though if they get marked down enough.

Back