Coles And Bi-lo Delete Home Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sucks to live in a duopoly and like everyone else i would love to see walmart or aldi spread out into Oz and take on a bigger share of the market.
I used to work for both Coles and I.G.A. and there both pretty crap.Coles have been getting there arses kicked by woolies for so long there getting rid of everything that doesnt turn a large profit for them in an effort to claw back the ground they have lost due to poor management.
IGA/Metcash are constantly voted as one of the worlds worst employers, when i worked for them they told there staff that they couldnt afford to give them a pay rise that EBA {every 4 years} because of the financial downturn...not long after they post a very large profit lol,leaving there workers with a 4% pay rise for the last 8 years, in the year of the EBA inflation rose 4% as well.
I wouldnt rely on IGA to stock homebrew product due to the fact that most are privately owned.You may be able to strike up a friendship with the owner but the fact is IGA are very overpriced.
I cant help but feel this opens a door for someone else to supply we just have to support them!

If anyone is interested, burnt bridge coles in outer easten melbourne has reduced all brewing stock to clear. but the price saving is not realy significant. The cans are a few dollars down, i think 7.95.
packets of caps dex etc are something like 70c off.

Coles Essendon Fields has reduced their Coopers kits to $8.31, boxes of brewing sugaz to $3.45, and caps to $2.39.

Not a huge saving, about 20-25% off.

What does it mean in the future though.

While we can't buy it at Coles and Buy Low, will it mean that the rise of more small LHBS opening again?

Will our sponsors get a lot more business? While thats OK for those of us on here, what about those homebrewers who don't come to this site?

Will another major chain store pick up the slack and start stocking the products? Bunnings homebrew? (After all its DIY)

Big W and woolworths will still stock..IGA stocks also..Bunnings owned By same people that run COLES

Coles at Essendon Fields have Coopers Stout cans clearing out for $5 each. Get 'em while they last.

I can feel a couple of $10 toucans coming along soon...

All the coles ive been to in Brisse in the last few weeks (about 10 of em) are pretty much gutted out now.
and yet a couple of Wollies have dramatically increased thier range (the FULL brigalow odd's and sods stuff etc).

Its a pain in the arse for me as my LHBS i can only get to on weekends, when will we have a latter than 5pm LHBS in QLD?, I reckon they'd sell loads more open late one night of the week.

Its a bit of a culture shock moving from NSW to QLD with all the shops shutting at dusk!

Coles and Woolies close most nights at 9:00PM what more do you need. ?

Whoa! Are you really posting from the 1950s?

If you cannot get all your groceries before 9:00 PM you are either stupid or working shifts.
24 hour stores are only catering for insomniac armed robbers.
For all the so called men with pansy earings, nipple rings and all things poofter.

Subject: BE PROUD
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 08:14:11 +0000

WE WAS BRUNG UP PROPER !!

"And we never had a whole Mars bar until 1993"!!!
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL MY FRIENDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE
1930's 1940's, 50's, 60's and early 70's !
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos...
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.
Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds , KFC, Subway or Nandos.
Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on a Sunday, somehow we didn't starve to death!
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers, Bubble Gum and some bangers to blow up frogs with.
We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.
No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O..K.
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and dens and played in river beds with matchbox cars.
We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii , X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY ,
no video/dvd films,
no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
Lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time...

We were given air guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays,

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!
Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet because we didn't need to keep up with the Jones's!

Not everyone made the rugby/football/cricket/netball team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on
MERIT

Our teachers used to hit us with canes and gym shoes and throw the blackboard rubber at us if they thought we weren't concentrating .
We can string sentences together and spell and have proper conversations because of a good, solid three R's education.
Our parents would tell us to ask a stranger to help us cross the road.
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law!
Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla'

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO
DEAL WITH IT ALL !

And YOU are one of them!
CONGRATULATIONS!
You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.
And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.
PS -The big type is because your eyes are not too good at your age anymore
We want to hear all your funny, exciting and crazy Hotmail stories. Tell us now

Internal Virus Database is out of date.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 9.0.707 / Virus Database: 270.14.83/2526 - Release Date: 11/26/09 05:43:00

P.S. looks much better in HTML except I cannot remember how to code it.

Most of which is totally :icon_offtopic: and worth a three match suspension.,

We whippersnappers all have ADHD.

tl;dr

I told Reema I was never buying from a Coles again. Then hypocritically I stumbled into their Richmond store in a moment of weakness - and discovered lo and behold they still sell Coopers kits and gear there! Bought a box of Coopers Dextrose to celebrate.

Hopefully the joy lasts in that location. Not finding much luck closer to my own postcode. God bless inner city brewers in Tigerland - your buying power must be keeping it in the shelves! :wub:

Hopper

Yeah yeah, back to your rocking chair Tropical B. ;)

Eh Eh Eh What did you say can't hear you I getting a bit deaf ?

Need another coat of paint on my walking frame. :lol:
:icon_offtopic:

WE WAS BRUNG UP PROPER !!

"And we never had a whole Mars bar until 1993"!!!
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL MY FRIENDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE
1930's 1940's, 50's, 60's and early 70's !
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos...
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.
Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.
They gave us thalidomide and food laced with DDT
We went to the second world war, Korean war and Vietnam war.
We were then the ones responsible for;

childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors and cabinets bike helmets or shoes,
seat belts and air bags, bottled water, McDonalds, KFC, Subway 7/11 and Nandos franchises on every corner.
We made everything sugar free, wholemeal,wholegrain and low GI. Sometimes our kids still got fat because we bought them PCs and couldn't cope with their tantrums when they didn't get what they wanted. All our kids have mobile phones and laptops and are super geniuses (or so we think)..
We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii , X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY ,
no video/dvd films,
no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........but all our kids do so we need to make sure we police the internet to protect them from the world!

I could go on but you get the drift.

I could go on but you get the drift.
In keeping with the trends of youth of today, I can happily shift the blame for my nerdiness to my dad.
Even back in the late 70's/early 80's he had a North Star computer, complete with 7" floppy drive and a keyboard with a wooden frame. Wooden, I tells ya.
Please excuse me, it's time for my counselling session.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Back