Cold Crashing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I am aware of, commercial breweries actually make more co2 than they need, they use the co2 they make in fermentation to carbonate the beers, and they only order it in from BOC etc when they have to dump batches and can't take the fermentation co2.

Don't put it in the cold until it's finished fermenting and sat for a bit longer at ferment temps or higher. One week, two weeks, doesn't matter. Stable gravity over a few days, around where you would expect it to be is finished.

Don't worry about transfer to secondary, down to 2 deg will be fine, 1 week or more if you have the patience, time and space.
Hey again. I took a reading last night and the gravity was reading 1.020. Its been fermenting since the 2nd May (13 days) and the airlock is bubbling randomly now (once in maybe a minute or two). I have researched again a little into the process of lagering, and wanted to know your thoughts on when to do a diacetyl rest, some suggest that only when the fermentation is about 3/4 of the way done (and this cannot be exact). I thought that this might be nearing that now, and to raise the ferm temp from 12c to 15c for about two days before lowering it to 4c for at least 4 weeks.

I will take another reading today, but methinks it needs another week before I do this as 1.020 sounds still to high (would love to know your thoughts) BTW there was a lot of hops and bits in the sample, Im hoping that the cold conditioning will rest a lot of this to the bottom before bottling.

Thanks for your help thus far guys, I really enjoyed doing this lager (as its my first) and dont want to spoil it.

Cheers!

Hi Guys,

Ive got a lager brewing in my temp controlled fridge and its a week since it started fermenting at 11c. I was looking into cold crashing, and have seen a lot of differing points of view and am a bit confused....

I have never transferred to a secondary (and dont really want to with this brew) and wanted to know if I do cold crash into the primary, then at what temp? and for how long? and also would 2c suffice? What does everyone recommend for a good temp?

Cheers

I have a lager in a temperature controlled fridge

between 8 to 11 degrees C

put in 8/5
now in 16/5

sg 1048
now 1040

slower than expected

what do I do next

wait , if so no problems , only enough bottles for one batch

ps my yeast could have been old

From what I am aware of, commercial breweries actually make more co2 than they need, they use the co2 they make in fermentation to carbonate the beers, and they only order it in from BOC etc when they have to dump batches and can't take the fermentation co2.

Let the CO2 go free to find its way home once more to the barley fields and grow more grain :icon_cheers:

Hey again. I took a reading last night and the gravity was reading 1.020. Its been fermenting since the 2nd May (13 days) and the airlock is bubbling randomly now (once in maybe a minute or two). I have researched again a little into the process of lagering, and wanted to know your thoughts on when to do a diacetyl rest, some suggest that only when the fermentation is about 3/4 of the way done (and this cannot be exact). I thought that this might be nearing that now, and to raise the ferm temp from 12c to 15c for about two days before lowering it to 4c for at least 4 weeks.

I will take another reading today, but methinks it needs another week before I do this as 1.020 sounds still to high (would love to know your thoughts) BTW there was a lot of hops and bits in the sample, Im hoping that the cold conditioning will rest a lot of this to the bottom before bottling.

Thanks for your help thus far guys, I really enjoyed doing this lager (as its my first) and dont want to spoil it.

Cheers!

For me it would be around 1016, but 1020 isn't crazy if you want to start doing it by a degree or two a day rather than all at once.

If you're not in a hurry (and I wouldn't be) leave it a it longer.

I have a lager in a temperature controlled fridge

between 8 to 11 degrees C

put in 8/5
now in 16/5

sg 1048
now 1040

slower than expected

what do I do next

wait , if so no problems , only enough bottles for one batch

ps my yeast could have been old

What yeast? 8C is really low. How long does it spend at 8? vs 11?

What yeast? 8C is really low. How long does it spend at 8? vs 11?

yeast was morgans lager from a kit , maybe a bit old

fridge was being controlled by a fridge mate and set at 10 degrees , cooled at 11 and then shut off at 8

beer is now down to 1020

looks OK and does not taste quite good

recipe

Bubble & squeak

Batch Size (L): 25
SG 1047
FG 1012

1.500 kg Dry Malt Extract - Amber
0.250 kg Roasted Barley
Hop Bill
25.0 g Target pellet (9% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
25.0 g Amarillo Pellet (8.6% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
10.0 g chinook pellet (11.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)

Notes
Heat 4 litres water to 75c
add barley grain in grain bag
steep for 60 minutes and drain
add 8 litres more water
add 1.5 Kg light malt extract
bring to boil
set timer to 60 minutes
add target hops
add amarillo when 15 minutes to go
add chinook at flame out
add remaining 1.5kg light malt extract to pasteurise
cool

ferment @ 10 degrees C

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

yeast was morgans lager from a kit , maybe a bit old

fridge was being controlled by a fridge mate and set at 10 degrees , cooled at 11 and then shut off at 8

beer is now down to 1020

looks OK and does not taste quite good

recipe

Bubble & squeak

Batch Size (L): 25
SG 1047
FG 1012

0.250 kg Roasted Barley
Hop Bill
25.0 g Target pellet (9% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
25.0 g Amarillo Pellet (8.6% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
10.0 g chinook pellet (11.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)

Notes
Heat 4 litres water to 75c
add barley grain in grain bag
steep for 60 minutes and drain
add 8 litres more water
add 1.5 Kg light malt extract
bring to boil
set timer to 60 minutes
add target hops
add amarillo when 15 minutes to go
add chinook at flame out
add remaining 1.5kg light malt extract to pasteurise