Cocko Goes 3v...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats Cocko! Friggin awesome stuff.

Love that system Cocko! :wub: 100lt batches are distant dream for this brewer but I'm glad you keeping me dream alive.

I wouldn't sweat your efficiencies till you get used to your system. Prolly a shroud round the ring burner will help bring that 120lt monster up to the boil and out of the wind. Maybe a better burner?

Love ya work mate!

Cheers

Chappo

well done cocko, all those e-mail questions finally paid off ;)

welcome to the 100L crew.

post-1635-1229385748_thumb.jpg

DSC00353.jpg

<snip>

Shut lid and begin to heat more water in HLT... Get to 80 deg and add another 20L - sorry 22kg grain bill - so now 55L in MT and MM temp gauge reading 69 deg :huh: Thank god for my immersion element - throw it in the MT and bring the temp up to 72... phew...

Q. Any one know how much water at what temp will bring a 55L water, 22 kg grain, mash to mash out temp?

You've answered your own question Cocko! Dump the immersion element into the mash tun and heat it up to mash out temp.......

or decoction mashout as Phil suggested.

So just 'stir' the mash with the element?

I do this sometimes if my mash in temp is to low, just remember to keep it moving and submersed and DON"T forget to turn it off before removing

Rook

Cheers all!

Fents, may be time we build you a copper manifold! ;) [78%!!!]

Ok, so decoction mash - I run off some of the original mash water [now wort I guess] and heat in a separate vessel and add back to tun, yeah?

If so, I have 55L of water mashing 22L of grain, does anyone know the calc. or even if it can be calculated or do I just need to tool around here?

:unsure:

Any edumicated brewers who can help me work out this decoction mash out?

Ok, so decoction mash - I run off some of the original mash water [now wort I guess] and heat in a separate vessel and add back to tun, yeah?

If so, I have 55L of water mashing 22L of grain, does anyone know the calc. or even if it can be calculated or do I just need to tool around here?

Is this any help???

I just plugged a 100l batch using 22kg Pale Malt with a single decoction mash?????

Can't give you an edumacated guess because it is WAY over my head

Just thought I'd try to help

Batch Size: 100.00 L Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 116.85 L Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %

Brewing Steps Check Time Step
1/07/2009 Clean and prepare equipment.
-- Measure ingredients, crush grains.
-- Prepare 138.88 L water for brewing
-- Prepare Ingredients for Mash
Amount Item Type
22.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.5 EBC) Grain

-- WARNING: Preheat Mash Tun - No equipment adjustments made!
2 min Mash Ingredients
Protein Rest: Add 91.80 L of water at 52.5 C
35 min - Hold mash at 50.0 C for 35 min
2 min Saccharification: Decoct 38.92 L of mash and boil it
45 min - Hold mash at 68.3 C for 45 min
10 min Mash Out: Heat to 75.6 C over 10 min
10 min - Hold mash at 75.6 C for 10 min
-- Sparge with 47.08 L of 75.6 C water.
-- Add water to achieve boil volume of 116.85 L
-- Estimated Pre-boil Gravity is: 1.044 SG with all grains/extracts added
Boil for 60 min Start to Boil.

Awesome Finners, thanks heaps mate!!

It at least gives me some near enough figures to play with!

I am a MAC only man and Beeralchemy ain't that complex - so again thanks heaps for running the figures for me!

:icon_chickcheers:

Any edumicated brewers who can help me work out this decoction mash out?

Do you use a brew program at all?

Beersmith will do the calculations for you. In mash schedule change the infusion mash out to decoction mashout.

Using this calculator with the information you provided, to move a 66 degree mash of 22 kilos of grain and 55 litre of infusion water to a mash out of 78 degrees you will need a decoction of roughly 22 litres.

So I would take roughly 25 litres out of your mash, chuck it into a pot and bring it to the boil by raising the temperature 2 degrees per minute max. Stir so it doesn't burn. Boil for about 10 mins and then put back half of the decoction and stir. Add the remainding decoction back bit by bit so you don't over shoot your target mash out temp. Stir after every addition. Once you have gotten your target mash out temp, if you have any decoction left over, let it cool to your mashout temp and then add it all back.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Phil

Cheers Phil,

Legend.

I do use software, its called Beeralchemy and just doesn't have that feature unfortunately... Does pretty much everything else but its all I could find for a mac at the time I bought it.... Over all a good piece of SW...

I will use the calculator you have linked and tool around from there..

Thanks again for your advice.

So just 'stir' the mash with the element?

I found some of the grains got caught inbetween my element, burnt then affected my beer flavour.... smokey! <_<

Be wary of the above.

2c.

I found some of the grains got caught inbetween my element, burnt then affected my beer flavour.... smokey! <_<

Be wary of the above.

2c.

Cheers raven19,

Not enough, "Yeah no drama's" replies on this and/or other threads for me to use as only option at this stage...

I will tool around with a decoction mash out for the interim me thinks.

Thanks heaps tho!

Cocko -- IMHO a decoction mash out is too much effort and essentially a waste of your time. You dont need a mashout for good efficiency, you need to get your grain bed up to 76-78degrees - and if you are batch sparging that's easy. You use your sparge water to do it.

Here's how I would do it -

Heat your sparge water to boiling .. yes boiling. Crunch the numbers to see how much boiling water you need to get your mash up to 76-78 degrees - add that much, stir up the mash, re-circ etc and begin your run-off.

While the mash is running off - add some cold water to your HLT to cool the remaining water down to 78 degrees for your second sparge addition. Add, stir, re-circ, drain -- done.

This gets you a grain bed temp of 76-78 degrees and thats what you want. You dont need to worry about the fixing of you fermentability profile - that is mainly a concern for continuous spargers who need to take and hour or more to lauter. If they dont mash out - there is significant time for any still active enzymes to continue to alter their wort - With a batch sparge your whole mash will be up to M/O temps and your lautering process over and done so quickly, wort in the kettle and on its way to the boil - that a formal M/O step is close to pointless.

Not that a decoction wont work -- but they are a pain in the arse.

TB

PS - the trial version of pro-mash will crunch the numbers for you. You cant save things, but you can work them out from scratch as many times as you like. Just to work out infusion additions or decoctions - free forever.

Back