Cm2, Fourstar, Brendo, Maple Collaboration Brewday #2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will have a look tonight/tomorrow and report back - I can take care of the wheat and some of the Pils/Trad ale without too much trouble.

Hop-wise, I have quite a bit of EKG on hand and Nelson Sauvin - mostly depends on what we actually want to use for the New World Pils.

In other related news, I got my new 160L tun plumbed up over the weekend and 80% of the copper manifold completed - just need to finish cutting some slots which will probably happen tomorrow, so I can do a water test.

So pretty good at my end - real question is how CM2 is bearing up post his ride and slide....

In other related news, I got my new 160L tun plumbed up over the weekend and 80% of the copper manifold completed - just need to finish cutting some slots which will probably happen tomorrow, so I can do a water test.

I've got a dremmel that will make those slots in about 2 minutes if you're keen? Happy to lend it to you

Yeah, I'm good for some of the Ale, have the C.Aroma covered and all the hops for the NW pils covered too. I think we need a spreadheet for this....

Good point on the slide ride, seen him lurking, but..... CM2(scooby-doo), where you?

I've got a dremmel that will make those slots in about 2 minutes if you're keen? Happy to lend it to you

Thanks mate - I picked up a cheap Ozito jobby which is getting the job done - I simply ran outta time on Saturday and had other things on on Sunday. Should get it knocked over in pretty short order tomorrow I reckon.

Yeah, I'm good for some of the Ale, have the C.Aroma covered and all the hops for the NW pils covered too. I think we need a spreadheet for this....

Good point on the slide ride, seen him lurking, but..... CM2(scooby-doo), where you?

spreadsheet is a good idea - you volunteering :ph34r:

Pretty sure I can do the other half of the Trad ale, and can do a hop sub of Northdown for Magnum for the bittering of the stout. Should be able to cover the EKG component as well.

spreadsheet is a good idea - you volunteering :ph34r:

Pretty sure I can do the other half of the Trad ale, and can do a hop sub of Northdown for Magnum for the bittering of the stout. Should be able to cover the EKG component as well.
That would leave really only the wheat/Pils and Roast Barley for Scoob.

As for the spreadsheet, I'll do it tonight - (barring any unforeseen incidents involving the beer tap and a glass repeatedly meeting prior to execution.)

That would leave really only the wheat/Pils and Roast Barley for Scoob.

As for the spreadsheet, I'll do it tonight - (barring any unforeseen incidents involving the beer tap and a glass repeatedly meeting prior to execution.)

Check your emails fellas, Ive created a Google docs spreadsheetany one of us can edit. All you need is the link, no sign in required so don't repeat the link on here. Ive pre-compiled myself and what i remember people opting to offer up. Update yourselves anything ive missed or changes (e.g. northdown if we use it over EKG)

Note: the NW lager needs some attention. ;)

Cheers.

ok fellas im back. been hectic at work/home and only posting on the iphone.

re ride n slide...im fine. may need a an ankle reco but im p and walking and fine for this brew day, ~$4500 worth of damage to the bike and im without it for 4 weeks.

now back to the topic at hand....

yup im cool to have at my place still. been given the ok from the missus so we should make use of it whilst on offer.

Ive read the emails and think ive caught up, although i dont quite understand whats outstanding on the the spreadsheet, so ive replied to emails. no need to bomb AHB with organizing ingredients.

ok fellas im back. been hectic at work/home and only posting on the iphone.

re ride n slide...im fine. may need a an ankle reco but im p and walking and fine for this brew day, ~$4500 worth of damage to the bike and im without it for 4 weeks.
Bugger, ankle reco's suck! at 4.5K damage, did you get the option to write-off? I hear the 883 calling you mate....

edit: let me know if you need a good ankle guy.

Bugger, ankle reco's suck! at 4.5K damage, did you get the option to write-off? I hear the 883 calling you mate....

edit: let me know if you need a good ankle guy.
nah the bike is worth $7k so no write off option. its mostly the stupid nose cone fairing. hmmmm 883 iron. i recon id need the 1200 nightster.

who was ur ankle guy? the last reco i had done was by jonathon hooper in east melb.

PM'd you, no need for posting details here.

Just one more sleep... Busy day milling grain and getting ready for tommorrow.

Anyone got preferences on beerage - dry stout, dark mild or smurtos ttl??

Just one more sleep... Busy day milling grain and getting ready for tommorrow.

Anyone got preferences on beerage - dry stout, dark mild or smurtos ttl??
TTL would be the first thought, but thinking it might be a v.long day, perhaps the mild might be better suited?

By the way, looking at the numbers, we are looking at the production of over 1000 stubbies worth - almost 44 slabs. Vicco's thousand stubbie challange! Massive.

By the way, looking at the numbers, we are looking at the production of over 1000 stubbies worth - almost 44 slabs. Vicco's thousand stubbie challange! Massive.

Nice one... am bringing along an oatmeal stout.

Dark mild it is then - basically a baby riggwelter scaled down. Yum!!

1000 stubbies... not bad for a days work.

Updated and finalised recipe for the brewd ay fellas. CM2, I'll give you a bell tonight so i can bring around the grain for the stout. Do you want me to crush it?

Edit: also guys, as this is super high gravity it looks like it will be a single sparge from the numbers for dough in and mash out (i deliberately over-compensated by 5L just to cover losses as they are unknown). I'd suggest mashing, drain just to grain bed level and then add the mash out water and sparge again. Otherwise we may loose out on efficiency. The other option is to just top it up to the brim if the mash tun will hold that total volume and perform a very slow 'no' sparge and hope that the pseudo "fly sparge" process helps rinse away some extra points

Recipe: Vic bourbon barrel vanilla imperial stout
Brewer: Braden
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 90.00 L
Boil Size: 113.99 L
Estimated OG: 1.089 SG
Estimated Color: 56.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 62.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
25.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (3.0 SRM) Grain 66.49 %
4.00 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain 10.64 %
3.00 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 7.98 %
2.50 kg Carafa Special II (Weyermann) (415.0 SRM) Grain 6.65 %
1.50 kg Roasted Barley (Joe White) (558.0 SRM) Grain 3.99 %
0.80 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (178.0 SRM) Grain 2.13 %
0.80 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (60.0 SRGrain 2.13 %
180.00 gm Magnum [12.10 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 50.2 IBU
110.00 gm Northdown [8.50 %] (20 min) Hops 11.9 IBU
12.00 items Vanilla Bean (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
100.00 gm Oak Chips (Secondary 4.0 weeks) Misc
4 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 37.60 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 110.00 L of water at 72.8 C 67.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 50.00 L of water at 87.9 C 73.0 C

Notes:
------
Options: add 1 stick of vanilla per person to boil at 5 mins (split and scraped), one into cubes and one at secondary. Vanilla is quite volitile and we may drive it off if it boils too long.
Add vanilla and oak chips to secondary (keg) to age for 1 month.
add 64 sq cm of oak per L of beer this is the ratio used for most large barrel wine aging. Remember size of chips is front and back for surface area
8*8 cm (front and back is 4*4 cm per L of beer. (40cm * 40cm front and back should suffice for 20L of beer.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks mate - I picked up a cheap Ozito jobby which is getting the job done - I simply ran outta time on Saturday and had other things on on Sunday. Should get it knocked over in pretty short order tomorrow I reckon.
Gotta love ozito!

Sorry guys, I completely forgot about tomorrow and have made other plans. I might pop in and say G'day... seems like ages since I've caught up with you blokes.

ok fellas Ive email this to you also (with some more detail in the email)

Hi Fellas

Tomorrow is the big day and its on for young and old. Come hell or high water its on. If a tropical cyclone occurs we pull down our pants, hang on and tell it to give us a hell of blow job.

Equipment
I think we are right for equipment.

The most valuable thing is having 2 HLTs (we have 1xHLT, a few vessels that can be used as HLTs by using the 1xImmersion element and burners). So unless you to want to bring a HLT we are right for gear

The HLTs will enable use to have both brews going at the same time without worrying about not having sparge water ready.

We have 3 mash tuns (incl Brendan big f*ck off tun) this allows for 1 batch to be split over 2x50L tuns if we want and 1 big batch in the big tun.

We have 2 or 3? Huge kettles that will be sufficient
3 burners & 1 immersion element (I really got to buy one of these or get a HERMS running!)

REMEMBER TO BRING YOUR FERMENTORS/CUBES!!!!

Grain
Braden are you dropping off grain to my place tonight? Or are you coming early tomorrow? Not sure we can mash in without your grain additions. I think Dave is going to call you about this

My mill is running if we need to crack grain on the day

Time
Ill be up at 6 to turn on my hlt and Brendan immersion element (if it was included with the gear you gave Dave)

Depending on if I have the grain for a batch then mash in will be somewhere between 7-8am.

Maple is getting dropped off at some stage in the morning as is Brendan. So rock up whenever, we will be brewing all day as we have 4 beers to do.

Mash B*tches
Siborg and MeLoveBeer
There are going to be some nice trenches dug ion the garden for you to dump the grain into!

Recipes
Someone will post up on AHB. Lets print a few copies as back up.
Bourbon Oak Vanilla Porter + partigyle of mild
Imperial New World Pils + partigyle of Berliner weiss

Address
ive emailed u these details. Just follow your nose.

Food/DrinkIll have the bbq going and we will all be bringing some food and beer so feel free to bring along anything you like. along with heavy beers ill be running a keg of light beer and one of mineral water and ill grab some soft drink also to break up beer consumption if your driving. If your bringing a keg dont worry about gas you can use mine. I got 6 taps and 1 bronco.

Responsible service of Alc
there will be drinking going on so if your partaking in the drinking i'd prefer you didtnt drink and drive, so arrange appropriate transport. There will be non alc drinks available

Your responsible for your own intake of booze. Be sensible.

Tuneskies
I have an ipod/iphone speaker dock thingy that we can use for tunes. So if you want something in particular bring your ipod/iphone loaded. Otherwise there is the CD player/radio.

Accommodation
Brendo, Maple 4* youre welcome to crash. Plenty of floor space (1 couch). No spare bed unfortunately and the air mattress has a big hole i

Updated and finalised recipe for the brewd ay fellas. CM2, I'll give you a bell tonight so i can bring around the grain for the stout. Do you want me to crush it?
dont mind mate. i can add it to my gain and crush it tonight. is it just for the porter? i dont want to ad it to the wrong batch!

hopefully ill be home by 7:30pm (damn work). otherwise if you need to drop it off before hand, just let me know and ill alert the missus

PS. the other night when i sms you. i was reading 'cacl' as calcium not as CaCl as you intended. hence my confusion!

Gotta love ozito!

Sorry guys, I completely forgot about tomorrow and have made other plans. I might pop in and say G'day... seems like ages since I've caught up with you blokes.
dude your opening yourself up for so many jokes. last time you had to leave now you cant come... we are going to be hanging shit on you all day! :lol:

all good

MXD is going to drop by and pick up his hops so he'll say hi also

Back