Cm2, Fourstar, Brendo, Maple Mega Barleywine Brewday

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do the hops really mellow out that much that an entirely american hopped, american yeast BW end up as a malt-driven (of course) BW without the fruit salad taste of the C (and other american) hops?

I think I may have to have a read through those results because I would never have expected such a variety with them.

Cheers for the reply

Sponge

EDIT: Just read CM's response and I'd be predominantly kegging. just leave it to age for a while up the back of the brew dungeon and come to taste at some stage next year. would it be best to push a little co2 through it to age, or condition with a small amount of sugar?

Id probably end up bottling maybe 5-6 bottles (to give as xmas presents and to keep a couple for personal use)

my hops are still pretty aggresive/present. i think it may have been due to yeast selection that brendos went 'english'.

i used pacman and it responded well.

quote name='mckenry' date='Mar 16 2011, 03:14 PM' post='751894']
I knew I recognised you - you're really Carl Williams. He aint dead folks - he's a brewer now
[/quote]

That's definitely not the first time he's been mistaken for Carl either.

IMG_7514.JPG r242089_982960.jpg

seperated at birth?

Attachments

• IMG_7514.JPG
    IMG_7514.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 53
my hops are still pretty aggresive/present. i think it may have been due to yeast selection that brendos went 'english'.

i used pacman and it responded well.

I used pacman as well and mine has been kegged from day one. Hops are still there, but probably not as recognisable as US anymore - the malt and alcohol flavours really dominate more than anything, but the bitterness is still there for balance.

Cracking beer and pleased to see it scored so well - really comes down to the complexity that the age brings to it.

I think we need to pass the hat around and buy Brendo a pair of pants that fit him.

Whens the next brew day?

Thanks Rooky... you are generous to a fault.

Brew day plans are underway - we were talking about March, but more likely to be pushed out to April at this rate. Looking at another 4-5 beers using the partigyle method high/low alc.

should be fun... will let you know where and when.

I used pacman as well and mine has been kegged from day one. Hops are still there, but probably not as recognisable as US anymore - the malt and alcohol flavours really dominate more than anything, but the bitterness is still there for balance.

Cracking beer and pleased to see it scored so well - really comes down to the complexity that the age brings to it.

Its quite interesting how things went with the English Vs American sub-style choice. From when I last tasted mine it still had heavy fruit tingle hops but lacking on the big IPA style aroma front. It just goes to show how much hop aroma and big citrus expectations come into play in an American style.

Either way, i know which direction i'll be heading when entering my barleywine next. Great work on the win Brendo. B)

Whens the next brew day?

Like you would even show up anyways! :p

what happened to the swap plan!

weak as piss. prob stuck at home watching re runs of last years grand final or some shit.

Like you would even show up anyways! :p

what happened to the swap plan!

weak as piss. prob stuck at home watching re runs of last years grand final or some shit.

I aint feeling the Love Fento's :D
Nothing like watching Collingflog getting their ass kicked :lol:

Latest posts

Back