Cm2, Fourstar, Brendo, Maple Mega Barleywine Brewday

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cubes, man, cubes.

Brew in fury, ferment at leisure...
No Chill - no way. Been there, done that, burnt the t-shirt.

(actually thinking this idea has some merit to it).

As for the time off, sorta, still have another 3weeks to go, but better I take leave now then not at all.

Brew that funky rye beer from the US.

Harpoon Brewery
Boston, MA - harpoon.com
Sour Rye Ale (Fermented & aged in oak with wild/belgian sour yeast; 5.5%)

Brew that funky rye beer from the US.

Harpoon Brewery
Boston, MA - harpoon.com
Sour Rye Ale (Fermented & aged in oak with wild/belgian sour yeast; 5.5%)
that's a ripping idea!

that's a ripping idea!
They are probably using something like wyeast Trappist funky blend. I'd be into that. Not sure how to make a slighty diff version if u did 50/50 split batch.

Kegged up the PG this morning, FG sitting at a dry 1.007. not really happy with the tasting out of the fermentor, kinda bland, but it's pretty early, so who knows. will carb it up and see.

Haven't touched the BW yet, but looks to have dropped clear, so may need some attention soon, just not looking forward to bottling.

Bombs away - the partigyle got a healthy slurry of 1469 this arvo and the barleywine is currently making friends with Pacman.

The BW smelt awesome coming out of the cube - tasted good too - soooooo rich!!

In other news - tried the hopyard pale ale that I used as a starter for the BW - hadn't been late hopped yet (I use French press) and it is tasting awesome - liking Pacman so far.

Also - you boys will be sad to know that we lost a friend today - I was cleaning the keg fridge and RIPA is officially RIP. It is a sad day at the Brewers Guild Brewery :(

Also - you boys will be sad to know that we lost a friend today - I was cleaning the keg fridge and RIPA is officially RIP. It is a sad day at the Brewers Guild Brewery :(
Moment of silence observed here. It will be missed. But as the cycle of life goes, another will be borne.

don't worry about that mate - it will be back on the brewing schedule as soon as I can.

ah ah ah. the Annual dinner beer comes first! Looks like the way im going, the Flat Tyre Amber ive got now will have to be the beer for the swap me thinks! :lol:

I'll weight up my availabilities and go from there. but 3 kegs tied up from three full fermenters, PLUS the dinner beer plus the hop harvest beer, plus a possible case swap beer. im brewing myself into a corner!

ah ah ah. the Annual dinner beer comes first!

yeah I am touch and go on keg space with what I have coming up - but don't worry I have the club beer and case swap beer lined up as the next ones to do. The RIPA will have to wait for a while unfortunately...

Just not sure when I am going to get to brew - might need a "brewing from home" day sometime in the next week or so methinks...

yeah i can forsee an after work brewday coming up real soon! A finish at 4 scenario me thinks!

Ive had to tweak the recipe to balance it as a sweeter and less bitter beer, thaughts? (added cacao nibs too!) :icon_drool2: I'll have to reserve two bottles for VICBREW incase its a cracker!

Choc-Hazelnut Brown Ale Annual Dinner
American Brown Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 29/04/2010
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brew Pot (40L) and Frosty Cooler (38L)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00

Ingredients
4.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 78.95 %
0.40 kg Aromatic Malt (simpsons) (30.0 SRM) Grain 7.02 %
0.30 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (17.3 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
0.30 kg Crystal (Joe White) (34.2 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
0.20 kg Carafa Special III (Weyermann) (470.0 SRM) Grain 3.51 %
15.00 gm Magnum [10.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 18.6 IBU
2.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
6.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
25.00 ml Hazelnut Extract (Bottling 0.0 weeks) Misc
100.00 gm Cacao Nibs (Primary 5.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.05 %
Bitterness: 18.6 IBU
Est Color: 20.9 SRM

Mash Profile
60 min Mash In Add 16.73 L of water at 72.8 C 67.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 8.61 L of water at 86.2 C 73.0 C

Notes
2g CaSO4 & 3g CaCl2 into the mash
3g CaCl2 into the boil

Grind nibs in coffee grinder and add Caco Nibs to primary at pitching. Soak in vodka or white rum (neutral spirit) for 24 hours prior. Add w/ the hard liquor.

Agitate the fermenter daily to keep cocoa in suspension.

Add hazelnut extract to keg post filtration 1.5ml per 1L (25-30ml~ a keg)

Looks the goods to me mate - can't wait to try it.

I will probably knock out the riggwelter and galaxy amber back to back in the next week so will be good to go.

cacao nibs are the secret weapon of choc beers. Its way way better than choc. The results will be fantastic.
Yeah I need one of the brew fro home days also

something to commemorate the brews with. I'm going to use this as a label for the ones ive bottled and as a display on the kegerator.

View attachment Beer_Card2.pdf

I havent done one up for the barleywine yet

edit:4* - you get lumped in as an eastern suburbs brewer as the wording for 3 eastern suburbs and 1 cbd brewer was too clumsy.

something to commemorate the brews with. I'm going to use this as a label for the ones ive bottled and as a display on the kegerator.
edit:4* - you get lumped in as an eastern suburbs brewer as the wording for 3 eastern suburbs and 1 cbd brewer was too clumsy.

Looks good! what kind of template did you use for that? Do it in publisher or something?

Btw, you could have just put Melbourne Brewers. :rolleyes:

Im going to be filtering and kegging my partigyle tonight. I put it in the fridge yesterday for a crash chill, pics will come tongiht if i have time before going to see Iron Man 2

Looks good! what kind of template did you use for that? do it in puiblish or something?

Illistrator then pdf it. The missus is a graphic designer, so she took my fantastic MS Word layout (rolled her eyes at the patheticness of it) and fixed it up in illistrator.

Btw, you could have just put Melbourne Brewers. :rolleyes:
damn, didnt think of that.

Illistrator then pdf it. The missus is a graphic designer, so she took my fantastic MS Word layout (rolled her eyes at the patheticness of it) and fixed it up in illistrator.

Wondered why it looked professional! :icon_chickcheers:

View attachment 37781

Looks good to me... gotta get me a proper logo one of these days... as opposed to the crap I have done in word in the past :rolleyes:

Just finished bottling the BW. final stats show FG at 1.020. This better be worth it, cuz there's no way i'm bottling again for a long time. lost the better part of the day, preping sanitizing and trying to remember how this method works.... anyway, it's done, boxed and put away for 2.5 years.

Nice work on the beer card bretto.

Latest posts

Back