Cm2, Fourstar, Brendo, Maple Mega Barleywine Brewday

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished bottling the BW. final stats show FG at 1.020. This better be worth it, cuz there's no way i'm bottling again for a long time. lost the better part of the day, preping sanitizing and trying to remember how this method works.... anyway, it's done, boxed and put away for 2.5 years.

1.020! Niiice. Mine stopped at the 9% ABV mark 1.032-1.030~.tastes great out of the fermenter too! :icon_drool2: thick and viscous and SWMBO loves it. Said it tastes like liquid peaches. Must be the Amarillo. :icon_cheers:

The partigyle in pictures to get your eyeballs thirsty!

DSC_1124.jpg

A DSLR and Lightrooom does wonderful things for photos! Heck, just lightroom in general for regular shots is good for auto correction. :icon_cheers:
So what you're saying is that I should upgrade my iPhone when the next one comes out? Ok, done!

Just pored a glass of mine. a little cloudy but tastes great. Heaps of upfront malt which trails off quickly leaving a nice aftertaste. Very much like an Irish mild (new category I just created). Bit of roast I get also. No idea where from? All that carared and caramunich I guess. I'm really happy with this.

I am trying to simplify my brewing and trading my Italian for an electric element.
What type of immersion heater is this?
How many watts and what is it capable of?
that'd be brendo's heater, it's a 2400 watt. It brought that 60L pot up to boil in about 6 beers. Apologies for the time units, that's all I had to go on this occaision. Perhaps brendo can give more details.

that'd be brendo's heater, it's a 2400 watt. It brought that 60L pot up to boil in about 6 beers. Apologies for the time units, that's all I had to go on this occaision. Perhaps brendo can give more details.

I work well with beer measurment, cheers.

This is a good effort to by the way, livin' on the edge......

gallery_14633_629_102464.jpg

Just for giggles, the partigyle got 98 points as a Best Bitter in the British Ales comp! :p

It was noted it would probably fair better as a mild! :huh: Although it does kinda make sense with its malt complexity.

Cheers fellas!

you poor bastards have to wait 2 and a half years to drink that barley wine?

I dont think i could do it Id have to bury it somewhere really hard to get to. or maybe chuck it in the bottom of the water tank, actually now that i think of it its a pretty good constent temp down there.
sounds like it was a good day and it was an interesting read

you poor bastards have to wait 2 and a half years to drink that barley wine?

I dont think i could do it Id have to bury it somewhere really hard to get to. or maybe chuck it in the bottom of the water tank, actually now that i think of it its a pretty good constent temp down there.
sounds like it was a good day and it was an interesting read

Its ok, Ive currently got 21L of it to be filtered and going into a 19L keg. I'm bottling it from the keg in 22x330ml bottles and the rest in 500ml. I'dd end up with 24x330ml (a monthly tasting for two years) and the 22x500ml to be broken out on special occasions to share with others. :icon_chickcheers:

besides, i have 7 kegsin rotation. its easier to forget about a handful of bottles. I'll also be storing them at my folks place as they have qutie stable temps throughout the year. :icon_cheers:

I'm bottling it from the keg
I'll also be storing them at my folks place as they have qutie stable temps throughout the year. :icon_cheers:

So youre going filter and force carb? are you going to let any carb up naturally?

Im not sure i could trust my old man not to run out of beer one day during a session with the boys. One day they had drunk a case of VB then started on the lcpa then my home brew. but it got replaced a couple of days later... with VB

Bottled this tonight....
OMFG! Liquid gold. Deep malt and massive hops. Not completely out of balance but obviously young. Like a massive long term cellering young wine. This will be GOLD once it's aged. Even the yeast cake smelt good. Looked thick and almost good.

Good work fellas

guy in the middle - black shirt - maybe Maple? It's been bugging me for ages.

IMG_7514.JPG

I knew I recognised you - you're really Carl Williams. He aint dead folks - he's a brewer now

I knew I recognised you - you're really Carl Williams. He aint dead folks - he's a brewer now
That's definitely not the first time he's been mistaken for Carl either.

Hey Fella's

Any updates on the tasting of the old BW?

Looking at putting one down that has a pretty similar grain and hop bill as yours

depending upon the lack of aroma and whatnot that has occured during the aging I may or may not chuck some 0min hops in as well, but once again, that will depend upon how little aroma is left after a year or two of aging...

Any feedback would be delicious

Cheers,

Sponge

Hey Fella's

Any updates on the tasting of the old BW?

Looking at putting one down that has a pretty similar grain and hop bill as yours

depending upon the lack of aroma and whatnot that has occured during the aging I may or may not chuck some 0min hops in as well, but once again, that will depend upon how little aroma is left after a year or two of aging...

Any feedback would be delicious

Cheers,

Sponge
Hey Sponge,
the BW in each of the 4 cases has transformed quite differently. Have a look at the beerfest results - one of the 4 was entered as an American BW - mediocre score, and one of the 4 was entered as an English BW, and took out a Category with 123.5 points (only 1.5 points from top score of the comp). Last year one of the 4 took out third in that category. Each of the 3 mentioned above are different beers. If you want hops 3 years on.... good luck - hence the english points.

mate weve been sampling since about 3 months incl a blind tasting of all versions at a later collaboration brewday to see if we could pick the best and who's was who's.

fermentation and bottling practices can chnage the same beer sooooo much.

I think long story short is that its a great beer depedning on yeast, fermentation reigime and bottling v kegging.

keg the *******. i bottled and my carbonation is very variable. ive had some that were basicly flat. so high grav beers now get kegged.

re aroma. mates theres plenty going on without worrying about aroma. esp since your going to be conditioning it for at least 6 months or more. youll loose a lot of the aroma.

Latest posts

Back