Cloudy Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OCC

Reaction score
BREWING MY FIRST WHEAT BEER A ESB BAV WHEAT AFTER TAKING MY SG AFTER 10 DAYS IT WAS VERY CLOUDY EVERYTHING ELSE LOOKED & SMELT RIGHT IT WAS SITTING AT 1012 AT 21C JUST WONDERING IF THIS WAS THE NORM... OCC <_<

OCC said:
BREWING MY FIRST WHEAT BEER A ESB BAV WHEAT AFTER TAKING MY SG AFTER 10 DAYS IT WAS VERY CLOUDY EVERYTHING ELSE LOOKED & SMELT RIGHT IT WAS SITTING AT 1012 AT 21C JUST WONDERING IF THIS WAS THE NORM... OCC <_<
[post="74630"][/post]​

WHY ARE WE YELLING AT EACH OTHER :p

In answer to your question it sounds fine. (I assume you just used the supplied SAFwheat K-97) Being a wheat it will generally be cloudy, due to increased protein in suspension over a barley based brew. Also if it was your first post ferment reading it may have had some sediment stuck in the tap that it spat out making it apear more cloudy, but cloudy with this beer is fine.

Cheers

Borret

sorry borret just wanted someone to hear me out there.thanx for the advice just spun me out a little to see how cloudy it was thought i had done something wrong. any thoughts on fermentaion time ,10 days gone bubbling away madly after a little swirl, after the sample was taken ofcourse.sg still droping slowly...

i have done that kit a whiles back OCC...
still have a bottle or 2 left, from memory i racked and CC'd and the result was a very clear Krystall beer...
As borret mentioned you probably just puled a little trub through.
all good

A wheat beer is supposed to be cloudy unless it is filtered, that is part of the mystic of brewing wheat beers.
If it wasn't cloudy, then I would be worried. You will have a lovely taste and aroma of the yeast with the spicy tartish taste of the wheat, Yummm.

Cheers
Andrew

Back