Cling Wrap Lid On Fermentor -what To Use As Airlock?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Contemplating using gladwrap for my next brew but was wondering if everyone just uses the standard stuff from the supermarket or the catering cling wrap?
I use the standard supermarket stuff, but would use catering stuff - if we had any - since it's cheaper ... not sure I'd go so far as to use industrial pellet wrapping tho. ;)

I use the catering wrap as it was the only way I could get it 45cm wide, a bit easier to use for wider opening fermenter. Had to buy a 600m roll though so it should last a while.

Contemplating using gladwrap for my next brew but was wondering if everyone just uses the standard stuff from the supermarket or the catering cling wrap?

Supermarket stuff is fine but if you have a good cheap source for catering wrap then grab that and use it for everything. So much easier to work with and one roll lasts forever (minus a bit of time)

Pretty much :icon_offtopic: YB but with regards to the pic in your OP interested to know where you got that box for your controler from, the dimensions of the box & what the damage was? A quick flick through the Dick Smith website catalogue yielded just one borderline box size-wise. :(

TP

Since I got my lagermaking fridge from Mark^******* I have been doing lagers with just a new crown cap sitting over the o-ring as there is not enough headspace in the wee fridge to fit an airlock. I've done three or four brews so far, just set and forget for 3 weeks and they turn out fine.
In Czech breweries they traditionally ferment in open vats in damp dark cold cellars dripping with spiders and bat shyte etc and seem to produce drinkable beers :icon_cheers:

Edit: here's one where they have obviously just cleaned up the bat shyte :rolleyes:
Czech_cellar.JPG

Edit: they obviously don't use Beersmith to keep track of their brews - a stick of chalk seems to do the job just fine

Edit: they obviously don't use Beersmith to keep track of their brews - a stick of chalk seems to do the job just fine
I think with larger batches and the ability to mix/combine multiple brews in an industrial setting makes the the micro-managment that many home brewers get obsessed with a little bit redundant. :)

I have never tried the glad wrap method but going to experiment today as I rack to secondary.

I have a screw lid fermenter and will chuck the lid as the damn thing always locks on to the fermenter and I end up disturbing the yeast bed just to get the bloody thing off!

My questions are:

1. How loose must the O ring be to allow Co2 out but not air in? (I don't want badness getting in if too loose. And I don't want to carbonate in the fermenter if it can't escape. I doubt I'd get a fermenter bomb).

2. Is there any need to sanitize the glad wrap before placing over the fermenter?

Cheers, Bats.

I have never tried the glad wrap method but going to experiment today as I rack to secondary.

I have a screw lid fermenter and will chuck the lid as the damn thing always locks on to the fermenter and I end up disturbing the yeast bed just to get the bloody thing off!

My questions are:

1. How loose must the O ring be to allow Co2 out but not air in? (I don't want badness getting in if too loose. And I don't want to carbonate in the fermenter if it can't escape. I doubt I'd get a fermenter bomb).

2. Is there any need to sanitize the glad wrap before placing over the fermenter?

Cheers, Bats.

1: it will fit snug, no worries about that, Co2 will escape as it needs to

2: someone posted something a little while ago, something about the heat it's extruded at or something? No is the general train of thought, but most pull out a bit and discard and then wrap her up mate.

and keep the lid for cleaning purposes

:icon_cheers:

Doesn't need to be loose. I rarely use barrel fermenters anymore but if/when, I wrap the glad tightly around the opening. Gas gets out.

No need to sanitise the glad wrap. Just keep the part adjacent to the roll facing the beer for peace of mind.

Awesome.

What a quick response. Thanks guys.

I may start using this method on my cubes. Seems to be more advantages to doing it this way.

Awesome.

What a quick response. Thanks guys.

I may start using this method on my cubes. Seems to be more advantages to doing it this way.

If fermenting in a cube, all you need to do is put the lid on, screw it up then back it off a couple of turns.

I use glad wrap on my fermenters and hold them on with the rubber o-ring from the lids. Occasionally I'll sanitise a pin and prick a single hole if I think my yeast is going to get excited but sometimes I don't bother. Enough CO2 is created that it creates a positive pressue either way and prevents stuff from being sucked in while CO2 can still escape.

Latest posts

Back