China Sourcing Trip

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1
hopscreen
cooling device (damn Adelaide weather- only November and we're looking at a week of 35+!)
Stainless bulkhead for kettle
maybe pumps??

Generous offer Fermented. Thanks

One thing which comes up here regularly is a cheap foodgrade magnetic drive pump ie a march pump substitute.

rims / herms units either complete or setup with a screw in fitting so we could buy an appropriately sized element from Stokes (or similar) and fit it.

Here is a link with parts & pics http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/rims-dummies-114997/

Beers,

croz

Have a snoop around for mills.
Cheers
Steve
Someone over there must have already started to make knock off's of mashmasters by now. If you are lucky they may have solved the grain jamming the gear issue but if they are just carbon copying then I guess they haven't :p

Laboratory stir plates are made in China these days, so please add to the list.

One thing which comes up here regularly is a cheap foodgrade magnetic drive pump ie a march pump substitute.

Yep keen for this one! As I think would some of the local suppliers be if they found they could source a RELIABLE alternative to the march pump. Unfortunately I dont know how much luck you'll have.

I also second Ross' warning re-gas appliances. I do a fair amount of camping and remote travel. A couple of years ago there were some gas products imported to this country which hadn't bee approved. There were "horror stories" floating around on the usual websites and I took them with a pinch of salt.
That was until I was camped next to a young family who had purchased a camper trailer top and gas appliances from a certain online auction site. I went over and checked out there setup as I was thinking about building a camper trailer (now looking to build a teardrop instead) - pretty neat setup. Not the same quality as locally sourced tents but over all pretty good - especially for the money.

Then about 10pm "fecken-BOOM" (sounded like when the boys in the workshop blow out an oxy/accet. hose set) miss matched threads between a local gas bottle and a chinese gas lantern allowed gas to leak out and then as the gas fell and crawed along the table someone went to light the stove for a before bed cuppa and up she went. Thankfully no one was hurt - but it certainly scared the shit out of me and Kel and the young family. Turns out the lantern never had AGA approval...

How about temperature controllers - like a tempmate - fully boxed and wired up ready to plug and play ?

Other ideas - S/S tri clamp fittings and plastic quick disconnect fittings.

1. smudge (150 litre kettle)
2. ........... (140 litre kettle)
3. ........... (120 litre kettle)
4. Rooting Kings (110 litre kettle) dependent on pricing and probably 2-3 of them ($200 a piece or there abouts). Conical would be nice too at the right price (sub $500 delivered) Like this
5. Tony (100 litre kettle) must have thick base!
6. Batz (120-150 litre kettle) & (80 litre kettle) price depending,must have thick base!
7. Retsamhsam (120-150 litre kettle) price depending,must have thick base!
8. QldKev Couple of kettles, price depending
9. mitysa. 80ltr kettle depend on price
10. Duff (100L kettle with lid) price depending, must have thick base! I'd go another conical if they have the jacket.
11. PoMo 100L SS kettle with thick base and lid.

I'm sorry Fermented.

I still think your offer is a generous one, but I put the "bulk buy" of kettles as a tongue in cheek poke at everyone who has
ever joined a bulk buy because.......the numbers are there and they can just see their name on the list. Or they can't bear to
NOT see their name on the list. (with the exception of Tony who I put there without his knowledge)

If a bulk buy of mothballs from China (yeah, I've heard all the jokes!) was posted, I bet Customs would stink of Granny's
wardrobes.

I'm guilty too. I'm buying 1kg of Cascade hops from China (a hop I've used, loved, then liked, then looked elsewhere) when
I know I'll either give half of it away or leave it in the freezer for a year. I was one of the last to sign on for the Chinese hops
and I deserved to get the "4 litre kettle".

Anyway, forgive my arsing around. There is no bulk buy of kettles (unless Fermented gets excited and starts one) and
anyone who wants 750g of Chinese Cascade hops only needs to PM me and I'll send them on......postage on me. First in etc..

Cheers,
smudge

PS

1 smudge
2 .........
3 .........

Couldn't help myself...... :)

4. Rooting Kings (110 litre kettle) dependent on pricing and probably 2-3 of them ($200 a piece or there abouts). Conical would be nice too at the right price (sub $500 delivered) Like this
6. Batz (120-150 litre kettle) & (80 litre kettle) price depending,must have thick base!
10. Duff (100L kettle with lid) price depending, must have thick base! I'd go another conical if they have the jacket.
12. OLDS2006 100ltr SS kettle and 2 large burners.

No more PM's. Hops are gone to a deserving AHB'er who has promised to pass on any that he (?) doesn't use to others.

Cheers,
smudge

I'm very keen to get some stainless steel coil, or better still a complete RIMS heat exchange unit - coil inside a larger stainless container with ports for thermometer, connections etc. I suspect something like this wouldn't be available off-the-shelf, but I'd certainly put my hand up for one if it were available.
ideally the unit could also be filled with icy water and act as a pre-chiller for water at the end of the brewday as well.
VERY longshot, but worth asking!

Jon: A second hand fire extinguisher and a coil made by Emanuel from stainlesssteelstuff Vietnam is the way to go.

View attachment 32821

You need to fit up an element and PID controller with and thee S/steel sockets and you have a damn good HERMS. PID controllers with thermocouple are dirt cheap out of China.

:icon_cheers:

There is no bulk buy of kettles (unless Fermented gets excited and starts one)

Sure there is. He's filling a shipping container with our requests as we type. C'mon, a couple hundred big old SS kettles!

13. Jimmyjack 100L SS Kettle with 1/2 SS socket prewelded

Cheers,

JJ

13. Jimmyjack 100L SS Kettle with 1/2 SS socket prewelded
14. lastdrinks 100L-120L SS kettle probably 2or3 depending on price

Sure there is. He's filling a shipping container with our requests as we type. C'mon, a couple hundred big old SS kettles!

It is correct - there is no bulk buy at the moment, it's merely a call for a list of what you want that I can find while I am up there on a business trip. There is no commitment by anyone to any item at this stage. It's a wishlist.

If I can find what you want, at a quality and safety level (especially for gas or electrical items) that you're happy with and a price that works for everyone, then it will progress to being offered as a bulk buy.

While the 'Russian Doll' idea for the pots is a good one, it's not going to happen. I don't have the spare resources to unpack and stack the goods at loading time - it would cause me to need to hire people to do it and am trying to do this out of spare and no-cost resources. Container loading is done by my suppliers up there. They will load extra boxes from other sources in but won't (and I wouldn't rely on them to) do repacks.

If the 'right' goods happen to come from a single supplier (but I doubt it), I would be squeezing them to prep each buyer's order as a box with all goodies inside so that it's easier to break up and send the final delivery to each buyer.

I had a talk with my lead guy yesterday morning. He's on the case for s/steel stuff as he owned another business dealing in bulk stainless pipe. He considers it a not hard sourcing request. So, we're started.

I'll check back on the thread often and the list which has kindly been suggested. The final details of the trip will be confirmed in mid-December. If I don't go in January, this doesn't happen until my next buying run up there.

Hope this clarifies and is OK for everyone.

Cheers - Fermented.

Latest posts

Back