China Sourcing Trip

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fermented

I have the body of a god: Buddha.
Reaction score
As per the topic, I'm planning a buying trip to China again in Week 2 of 2010. It's subject to confirmation in mid-December.

I will be in Shenzhen in the Special Economic Zone, which has a significant impact on purchase prices compared to other regions of China which may or may not have an SEZ.

I'm in the USB and a couple of other markets so am up there to negotiate on a lot of that kind of stuff and source new suppliers and manufacturers. I have my own locals up there on my payroll, so we have pretty tight control. Additionally, my wife is originally from Guangdong Province and her family has connections up the wazoo. This combination is my "anti-getting-screwed-over-because-I'm-white" defence system and can make a large percentage difference in cost. Additionally, meeting suppliers in person, speaking Chinese and bringing my local manager (Harry / Bing Yu) makes a big difference in price. OK - bonafides out of the way. :)

Part of my plan is to check out some suppliers I've become aware of who deal in homebrew related equipment among some other business ideas I am interested in. I have no intention of entering the brew-related market as a seller - my forte is silicon media and some fashion jewellery. However, I have enough time and will be in the area so thought it worthwhile to connect and share.

If anyone is interested in brew related things, please let me know either in this thread or via PM. I need a list of what you are interested in, what standard(s) relate to it, target landed price, etc. I can only promise I will take a look at as much of any list as possible.

If it gets around to being a bulk buy, the possibility exists that the goods would be consolidated into one container (20FCL or 40HCL) with another shipment of goods for one of my businesses. I move containers out of Shekou regularly. When it comes to consolidated shipments, my freight forwarder knows what a right pr*ck I am if things do not stay on schedule and knows that nothing should go wrong or it will get expensive. I have had two late containers in fifteen years and one was because of the ship pranging while moving between ports at Shenzhen.

So, let me know your wishlist and I will go shopping.

Cheers - Fermented.

I'll be the first cab off the rank Fermented & many thanks for thinking about us all here on AHB. :icon_cheers: :super:

Over the years lots of brewers with stinguishers have looked without success for a normal gas valve to replace the one that comes with a regular fire extinguisher.
If you could manage to find a source similar to THIS ONE I'm sure there would be plenty of interest in a bulk buy.
Of course, we would have to be certain the threads on the valve & Australian fire extinguishers matched & that the valve met Australian standards but that goes without saying.

TP

I'll be the first cab off the rank Fermented & many thanks for thinking about us all here on AHB. :icon_cheers: :super:

Over the years lots of brewers with stinguishers have looked without success for a normal gas valve to replace the one that comes with a regular fire extinguisher.
If you could manage to find a source similar to THIS ONE I'm sure there would be plenty of interest in a bulk buy.
Of course, we would have to be certain the threads on the valve & Australian fire extinguishers matched & that the valve met Australian standards but that goes without saying.

TP
Sorry fermented for going OT

TP that must be a QLD thing as our local fire extinguisher refiller guru has no problems with sourcing or supplying screw down valves? Maye you could get some from WA at least you know they would be approved for local use already.
Pressure Testing Service
115 Campbell St
Belmont WA 6104
(08) 9478 1160

I'm very keen to get some stainless steel coil, or better still a complete RIMS heat exchange unit - coil inside a larger stainless container with ports for thermometer, connections etc. I suspect something like this wouldn't be available off-the-shelf, but I'd certainly put my hand up for one if it were available.

ideally the unit could also be filled with icy water and act as a pre-chiller for water at the end of the brewday as well.

VERY longshot, but worth asking!

Cheers!

Sorry fermented for going OT

TP that must be a QLD thing as our local fire extinguisher refiller guru has no problems with sourcing or supplying screw down valves? Maye you could get some from WA at least you know they would be approved for local use already.
Pressure Testing Service
115 Campbell St
Belmont WA 6104
(08) 9478 1160

Cheers ausdb. Many thanks. :icon_cheers:

TP

johny anchovy is on the money with RIMS or maybee HERMS systems...

what about cheap 30L Conical fermentors?

I'm interested.

Generous offer Fermented,

I reckon a bulk buy nirvana would be stainless steel kettles. But here's the catch. To save shipping space, the kettles
would be all of reducing sizes - like those Russian dolls, where you keep peeling one back only to find another.

So the first AHB member who puts their name down for the bulk buy, gets the largest - say 150 litre- kettle. Each one after
that gets the one that just fits inside it.

My history of participation in bulk buys usually has me with a buy number in the 100's. Normally this means I get some of
what I want (in the Chinese Hop buy I'm only getting some Cascade - my fault, I know!!). And I'm happy with what I get.

This time, I'm in line to score a megakettle for the right price.

So,

1. smudge (150 litre kettle)
2. ........... (140 litre kettle)

112 somepoorbastard (4 litre kettle)

Seriously though, to have someone who is comfortable with the in's and out's of importing from China, and who puts their
hand up and says, "Tell me what you want and I'll see what I can do" is a very generous offer.

Cheers,
smudge

An immersion chiller would be great. Food for thought.

Would definitely be interested in a conical fermenter ~ 30-50L (SS or otherwise) or SS/Alu pots ~ 40-60L

I have had two late containers in fifteen years and one was because of the ship pranging while moving between ports at Shenzhen.

Mind you, hitting container ships seems to be the trendy thing at the moment... :ph34r:

I hear a rumour that you can get hops in china! ;)

Cheers

Paul

So, let me know your wishlist and I will go shopping.

Cheers - Fermented.

Great idea.

Cast Iron China Jet Burners are usually had in the States for $19-$25 ea. for the 23 tip burners. You get them in LPG or Natural Gas versions. Probably worth a bulk buy if the only sources locally charge near $120 and up for them. Probably could get a lot of people interested as the AUD is near parity with the US Dollar and you could get some purchasing power with your AUDs. Getting them at those prices people can splurge and get quite a few which makes up a bulk buy.

Many sellers, but this is an example of one selling closer to $25: http://www.cpapc.com/store/23-Tip-Round-No...s-P469C244.aspx so they are out there at most of your restaurant supply shops to be had.

Of course China direct with connections you should get a pretty sweet price deal on them if in the US example they need to import, pay duties, internal shipping to store and then retail at $19-25 USD and still turn a profit.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

I'd be in for a 100 liter SS pot at the right price. Would need to be good quality with a nice thick base.

cheers

Tony,

Welcome aboard.

1. smudge (150 litre kettle)
2. ........... (140 litre kettle)
3. ........... (120 litre kettle)
4. ........... (110 litre kettle)
5. Tony (100 litre kettle) must have thick base!

112 somepoorbastard (4 litre kettle)

what about cheap 30L Conical fermentors?

I'm interested.

30l shipped inside 60l seems reasonable but we would need legs capable of holding the weight.

just dreaming

cheers

Darren

Latest posts

Back