• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

Centennial In Lager?

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

dave_h

Reaction score
I know centennial is supposed to be quite a good bittering hop for ales and IPAs but ive seen some mixed comments on the net about using it for a lager.

Ive never used it before but im tempted to use some I have (11%AA) in a general lager/pilsner, with either Hallertauer, saaz or tetts as a late hop.

Ive heard that you should not use too much or it will be too strong.

Any thoughts/thanks in advance

dougsbrew

Beer Sloth
Reaction score

well i would have to agree with this. i have been using this hop lately and found that to be true.

dave_h

Reaction score

well i would have to agree with this. i have been using this hop lately and found that to be true.
Was have you used them in?

dougsbrew

Beer Sloth
Reaction score
not in a lager if thats what your asking,
i did them solely in an ale and found it packed too much punch massive grapefruit.
and also i did another where i only used them at 60 minutes and still carried a punch.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
According to my supplier Centennial is similar to Cascade but without the grapefruit.

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler
Reaction score
Centennial is very similar to sacade and I would argue with the grapefruit.

Unless you are masking with a lot of other late hops or unless you are after an american hoppy type lager (which can taste great) I'd stick to bittering with a noble or use something like German Northern brewer.

Then again, I'm not a fan of using any hop you wouldn't be one hundred percent happy to taste in your beer and I love the bittering noble and related hops give.

Pennywise

Brewin' Beer for Crazy Clowns & Juggalo's
Reaction score
I dunno I reckon centennial would go alright with saaz, have not used those combos but have used both hops. I think I'd like it. Might do that in the next AG as I've got some saaz left over from a Bo pils and always have centennial in the fridge.

beerbog

Beer Bog
Reaction score
I have had Magnum, Cascade and Hersbrucker together in an ale and at the right ratio's tastes awesome. The hersbrucker was just poking its head through the magnum and cascade. I could see it going pear shaped though at with the wrong ratio's. :beerbang:

Bizier

Petite Mutant
Reaction score
I would prefer centennial to cascade if I was making a modern type of lager, it is much less grassy, more floral, and with the higher AA% it could be a better kettle hop because you are adding less vegetable material, especaially if you are adding it late. I do recognise that noble hops are generally the exact opposite.

Latest posts