Centennial In Lager?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_h

Reaction score
I know centennial is supposed to be quite a good bittering hop for ales and IPAs but ive seen some mixed comments on the net about using it for a lager.

Ive never used it before but im tempted to use some I have (11%AA) in a general lager/pilsner, with either Hallertauer, saaz or tetts as a late hop.

Ive heard that you should not use too much or it will be too strong.

Any thoughts/thanks in advance

well i would have to agree with this. i have been using this hop lately and found that to be true.

well i would have to agree with this. i have been using this hop lately and found that to be true.

Was have you used them in?

not in a lager if thats what your asking,
i did them solely in an ale and found it packed too much punch massive grapefruit.
and also i did another where i only used them at 60 minutes and still carried a punch.

According to my supplier Centennial is similar to Cascade but without the grapefruit.

Centennial is very similar to sacade and I would argue with the grapefruit.

Unless you are masking with a lot of other late hops or unless you are after an american hoppy type lager (which can taste great) I'd stick to bittering with a noble or use something like German Northern brewer.

Then again, I'm not a fan of using any hop you wouldn't be one hundred percent happy to taste in your beer and I love the bittering noble and related hops give.

I dunno I reckon centennial would go alright with saaz, have not used those combos but have used both hops. I think I'd like it. Might do that in the next AG as I've got some saaz left over from a Bo pils and always have centennial in the fridge.

I have had Magnum, Cascade and Hersbrucker together in an ale and at the right ratio's tastes awesome. The hersbrucker was just poking its head through the magnum and cascade. I could see it going pear shaped though at with the wrong ratio's. :beerbang:

I would prefer centennial to cascade if I was making a modern type of lager, it is much less grassy, more floral, and with the higher AA% it could be a better kettle hop because you are adding less vegetable material, especaially if you are adding it late. I do recognise that noble hops are generally the exact opposite.

Back