Cascade Hops - What Commerical Beers Use It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boatrocker Alpha Queen has alot of cascade on the mouth and nose too...pretty sure its Super Alpha for bittering though.

Boatrocker Alpha Queen has alot of cascade on the mouth and nose too...pretty sure its Super Alpha for bittering though.

I could say another beer that has a buttload of cascade too Fents! ;)

I could say another beer that has a buttload of cascade too Fents! ;)

yea but you cant tell it apart from all that galaxy in there as well. imo its a match made in heaven but for the OP to get a real grasp of cascade kooinda isnt the one to base it on.

Alpha Pale Ale derives its name from the alpha acids in hops which, added early in the boil, impart an distinctive bitterness. US grown Cascade hops, added late in the boil, contribute a wonderfully complex fruit and citrus aroma. Pale malts round off this beer with a fuller malt character.

Lots of debate on other threads on what hops go into this one other than the Cascade. Some say up to 5 hops so if you're trying to taste a pure Cascade beer this one might not be the best example (although more cascade used than other hops). Have heard that Mt Hood and Centennial are in there, and dry hopped amarillo. That leaves one - Super Alpha maybe? Dunno plenty of information and misinformation about. That said - lovely beer.

Hopper.

You'll find that Mountain Goat Pale Ale's original recipe was straight Cascade. (Bittering and Aroma)
Now they use Pride Of Ringwood and Cascade though. D'oh!

Little Creatures Bright Ale uses Cascade & B Saaz.
Little Creatures Pale Ale uses US Cascade (Australian/NZ Cascade when US in short supply), East Kent Goldings & Chinook.
Alpha Pale uses lots of late Cascade.

White Rabbit tastes to me like it has the trademark Little Creatures Cascade flavour too. But no idea on that one.

Hopper.

White Rabbit isn't actually brewed by Little Creatures, it's brewed in Healesville, Victoria. Little Creatures just serve it. I guess because they don't have a dark beer.

I was looking at the chalkboards in Little Creatures the other day and it said that the signature hop in LCBA was NZ Motueka. First I've heard.

Holgate's Mt Macedon Ale is cascade only.

EDIT: according to the bar staff...

EDIT 2: Motueka is the same hop as B Saaz

White Rabbit isn't brewed by Little Creatures - but White Rabbit is owned by the same company that owns LC - which means that at the end of the day... its a great deal (40% I think) owned by Lion Nathan and therefore by Kirin & thusly by Mitsubishi. So White rabbit is actually 40% owned by Mitsubishi.

Strange - I have never noticed that the WR Dark Ale tastes like a Magna before....

Little world beverages also own a stake in Stone & Wood. So they are part Japanese too.

Matilda Bay is wholly owned by Fosters and is run under the CUB umbrella

Gage roads is 25% owned by Woolworths

Bluetounge is owned by Coca Cola and SAB Miller

etc etc blah blah blah

So they are all evil and we can therefore define their beers as shitty - after all we are only supposed to enjoy beer if it is made by a talented, dedicated & passionate; but poor and struggling brewer. The tears of their starving children make the beer taste better. Don't be fooled by how much you might enjoy beer from any of these corporate owned closet mega brewers, you only believe it tastes good because of the millions of cynical marketing dollars that have been spent to warp your mind.... it is bad no matter what you or any of their other customers might think.

So they are all evil and we can therefore define their beers as shitty - after all we are only supposed to enjoy beer if it is made by a talented, dedicated & passionate; but poor and struggling brewer. The tears of their starving children make the beer taste better. Don't be fooled by how much you might enjoy beer from any of these corporate owned closet mega brewers, you only believe it tastes good because of the millions of cynical marketing dollars that have been spent to warp your mind.... it is bad no matter what you or any of their other customers might think.

hahaha bloody hell thirsty lol's a plenty. top post.

Holgate's Mt Macedon Ale is cascade only.

EDIT: according to the bar staff...

EDIT 2: Motueka is the same hop as B Saaz

I wondered about Motueka being the sam as B Saaz but couldn't find anything about it. I've not used Motueka before.

Thanks for clearing that up.

White Rabbit isn't brewed by Little Creatures - but White Rabbit is owned by the same company that owns LC - which means that at the end of the day... its a great deal (40% I think) owned by Lion Nathan and therefore by Kirin & thusly by Mitsubishi. So White rabbit is actually 40% owned by Mitsubishi.

Strange - I have never noticed that the WR Dark Ale tastes like a Magna before....

Little world beverages also own a stake in Stone & Wood. So they are part Japanese too.

Matilda Bay is wholly owned by Fosters and is run under the CUB umbrella

Gage roads is 25% owned by Woolworths

Bluetounge is owned by Coca Cola and SAB Miller

Yeah I was at Gage Roads recently and saw that they had pallets and pallets of Dry Dock (Sail and Anchor- Woolworths beer) there. I thought that Gage Roads was an independent brewery. Guess not.

I've wondered who owned Matilda Bay. They have a factory in Dande south just near the Bangholm rd Overpass

White Rabbit isn't actually brewed by Little Creatures, it's brewed in Healesville, Victoria. Little Creatures just serve it. I guess because they don't have a dark beer.

I was looking at the chalkboards in Little Creatures the other day and it said that the signature hop in LCBA was NZ Motueka. First I've heard.

Yep. Like Thirsty said.
Source: 2009 LWB Annual Report - you'll note a reference to a 'Healesville brewery'. So yup Little World Beverages = Little Creatures = White Rabbit = etc etc etc.

Moteuka?
Yep. Like Big78Sam said, B Saaz, same difference.

As for WR tasting of 'Magna' never tried that one Thirsty, will have to look into it. Just remember trying my first WR at Healesville and thinking "Yup tastes like US Cascade in a hopback to me", but happy to be corrected. So many hops out there these days with that 'US style citrus flavour', and the Kiwis certainly are growing a bunch it's hard to keep track.

Cheers!

Hopper.

:icon_offtopic:

Do they sell children's tears extract? I'd like some in my next beer.

Yeah, you can get it from CraftBrewer, next to the hop aroma extracts

:ph34r: :p

Back on topic; Little Creatures Single Batch IPA uses Cascade hops exclusively:

In celebration of a hop that helped make craft beers great, we have used only Cascade hops throughout the brewing process - in the kettle, whirlpool and hopback.

Cheers,
Kris.

edit: grammar

yeah - sorry to drag it off topic... guess I had a little sand in my vag.

all gone now

Off topic, but has the Bluetounge / SAB megaplant at Central Coast / Newcastle opened yet?

Hi,
Try Rogue Chocolate Stout, Rogue Double Dead Guy & Rogue Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout.
They are all brewed with only Cascade hops.

Lots of debate on other threads on what hops go into this one other than the Cascade. Some say up to 5 hops so if you're trying to taste a pure Cascade beer this one might not be the best example (although more cascade used than other hops). Have heard that Mt Hood and Centennial are in there, and dry hopped amarillo. That leaves one - Super Alpha maybe? Dunno plenty of information and misinformation about. That said - lovely beer.

Hopper.

Spoke to the Matilda Bay dudes at the Expo on Friday. Cascade and Amarillo in Matilda Bay Alpha...that's all.

And now brewed out of Cascade (Tasssie) IIRC.

I thought the taste had changed. When it first came out it was full of flavour, I then didn't drink it for a few months and when I went back to it it has had lost the flavour. Maybe the turnover isn't there anymore and it's not as fresh. It was an awesome beer but is now a bit soft, still good just soft.

It's my next beer to brew.

Easy way to taste different hops is to get an easy beer (or two) and just alternate the hops and see what happens. Making beer and seeing the taste is half the fun.

Back