Cascade Hops - What Commerical Beers Use It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spoke to the Matilda Bay dudes at the Expo on Friday. Cascade and Amarillo in Matilda Bay Alpha...that's all.

Interesting. The CUB bean counters must have either changed the recipe or your 'Matilda Bay dudes' or are only telling you part of the story by saying there's only two hops. Previous discussions here do confirm large amounts of dry hopping of US cascade and Amarillo so that is correct, (and this is confirmed by some of my mates who have attended the Dandenong brewery on a visit), but this ditty points to more stuff thrown in for bittering/flavour hopping.

From Brad Rogers (Original Alpha Ale Brewer via Thirsty Boy in 2007)

Received a reply from Brad.

Fairly helpful - but not quite the completely detail hopping regime that I never really expected to get.. but hoped for.

LOTS of cascade late in the boil. And also dry hopped towards the end of fermentation (secondary for HB purposes I imagine)
They have used but dont always use a "touch of Amarillo, not much though" dry hopped.
And somewhere in there there is Mt Hood and Centenial.

And he says it Fermented with 1056, slowly at around 16C

So thats a little more information to go on at least.

Thirsty

I guess as we've seen with other commercial beers (James Squire Golden Ale being one example) when hops are hard to source substitution and changes to the recipe do happen (ie. Amarillo in JSGA being substituted for other hops during shortages), so you may be right Adamski about the 2010 Alpha. But the 2007 one was quite a different beast.

Further discussions on Alpha's earlier recipe can be found here Alpha Pale Ale ( circa 2007)

Cheers :) Hopper

Interesting. The CUB bean counters must have either changed the recipe or your 'Matilda Bay dudes' or are only telling you part of the story by saying there's only two hops. Previous discussions here do confirm large amounts of dry hopping of US cascade and Amarillo so that is correct, (and this is confirmed by some of my mates who have attended the Dandenong brewery on a visit), but this ditty points to more stuff thrown in for bittering/flavour hopping.

They may have also changed the recipe since Brad left.

My girlfriend won the grand prize with Beer and Brewer magazine when she bought tickets to the Expo so I'll be going to the Garage Brewery for a full day of tastings and food. I could ask them again then.

They may have also changed the recipe since Brad left.

My girlfriend won the grand prize with Beer and Brewer magazine when she bought tickets to the Expo so I'll be going to the Garage Brewery for a full day of tastings and food. I could ask them again then.

Great prize, that would be awesome. I had a dig around and the only press seems to mention cascade and amarillo, they mention 'bittering' in many review schpiels but neglect to say what hops they are. I guess everyone's in agreement it's mainly cascade in this beer though, so probably enuff said by me - I'll get off the airwaves.

Cheers :icon_cheers: Hopper

I thought the taste had changed. When it first came out it was full of flavour, I then didn't drink it for a few months and when I went back to it it has had lost the flavour. Maybe the turnover isn't there anymore and it's not as fresh. It was an awesome beer but is now a bit soft, still good just soft.

It's my next beer to brew.

Easy way to taste different hops is to get an easy beer (or two) and just alternate the hops and see what happens. Making beer and seeing the taste is half the fun.

when i was down there for my cricket trip i had a fat yak, it was awesome off the tap there, one of the best pots of yak ive had other than at the mico showcase last quarter and when they first started brewing it (when it was unfiltered or dry hopped, cant fully remember).

If you have a few pots of Cascade Draught and then the Yak, the malt palate is almost identical, the same doughy malt/bready flavours. (could be different, after all i was on a cricket trip! hehe).

Funnily at the LARK distillery, their whisky had alot of malt flavours similar to cascade draught, turns out they supply them with their malt! :lol:

Im a big fan of cascade draught. A quality pub beer.

Funny you should mention that 4*.
Cascade put a beer out called Cascade Blonde, a very nice drop if you can get your hands on one. It's a wheat /barley blend lager and
it turns out, according to wiki, that this beer is hopped with Cascade, so there you go.

I think it's hilarious that in Tassie, Cascade Draught is almost a strictly southern beer. You drive up the middle, pass the halfway line and suddenly pubs stop serving it, AND you can't get a case of it in Victoria.

Great prize, that would be awesome.

The crazy thing is she bought the tickets for me and my dad. She doesn't even drink beer. Feels pretty guilty but what do ya do. Also included a night stay at the Grand Mercure in Melb and a Beer and Brewer subscription.

Funny you should mention that 4*.
Cascade put a beer out called Cascade Blonde, a very nice drop if you can get your hands on one. It's a wheat /barley blend lager and
it turns out, according to wiki, that this beer is hopped with Cascade, so there you go.

If its the same stuff that looks like its been rebadged, every time ive had it here in VIC its probabaly the worst thing off the tap. Have yet to have it in bottles though.

Oh, the Cascade Export stout... Delish! :icon_drool2:

I think it's hilarious that in Tassie, Cascade Draught is almost a strictly southern beer. You drive up the middle, pass the halfway line and suddenly pubs stop serving it, AND you can't get a case of it in Victoria.

Tis a good beer it is! Too bad those Boags heads in Launceston dont have a refined palate for it. :lol:

it is a good giggle that once you get north of oatlands you can't get Cascades anymore.

I'm neither here nor there, I'll drink what ever is on tap. But gun to my head I'd say I like Boags better. It's surprising how they can make such a nice beer in a shit hole of a city.

Back on topic tho, I only use cascade in my Pale Ale for bittering and aroma and it's pretty nice.

went to dan murphys today......what a mistake :) left with several beers, wines,spirits...anyway

got some Alhpa Pale Ale, Wicked Elf Pale Ale, Pils Urquell (saaz hit), and several other beers, thanks for the suggestions guys.

I had fat yak on tap at the pub on the way home.....hmmmmmmm NOT a fan. I'll drink it, but yeah.....not a fan. I wonder if that is the amarillo or the cascade that just makes me go errrrrrrrrr....

I think LCBA is cascade and b-saaz and I love the stuff, so prob the amarillo I dont fancy

Will find out when I crack open the wicked elf...

CHEERS :)

If its the same stuff that looks like its been rebadged, every time ive had it here in VIC its probabaly the worst thing off the tap. Have yet to have it in bottles though.

I doubt that it would be on tap in Vic. and I've never seen it on tap here in Tas, different stuff I reckon.

I doubt that it would be on tap in Vic. and I've never seen it on tap here in Tas, different stuff I reckon.

Its been a while but im sure its been of the tap along with the pale ale.

White Rabbit isn't brewed by Little Creatures - but White Rabbit is owned by the same company that owns LC - which means that at the end of the day... its a great deal (40% I think) owned by Lion Nathan and therefore by Kirin & thusly by Mitsubishi. So White rabbit is actually 40% owned by Mitsubishi.

Strange - I have never noticed that the WR Dark Ale tastes like a Magna before....

Little world beverages also own a stake in Stone & Wood. So they are part Japanese too.

Matilda Bay is wholly owned by Fosters and is run under the CUB umbrella

Gage roads is 25% owned by Woolworths

Bluetounge is owned by Coca Cola and SAB Miller

etc etc blah blah blah

So they are all evil and we can therefore define their beers as shitty - after all we are only supposed to enjoy beer if it is made by a talented, dedicated & passionate; but poor and struggling brewer.

Hey, I'm a poor brewer. My children aren't struggling yet so I'm not sure if I really count.

I did open this thread to say that I think today you would struggle to find many Aussie beer that is brewed with US Cascade as the sole or primary flavour hop.

Its been a while but im sure its been of the tap along with the pale ale.

You might be right then 4*.
I'm in Boags Country so probably in the dark.
I really couldn't detect any Cascade hop flavour in the beer from memory but it went down well at the time from the stubby regardless.

Hi,
Try Rogue Chocolate Stout, Rogue Double Dead Guy & Rogue Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout.
They are all brewed with only Cascade hops.

thanks Rogue, will give em a go........Get em @ Dan Murphys??

oops...I think with the fat yak its the Nelson I didnt like. It doesnt have amarillo in it...what was i thinking!! :) anyway

Just drank the alpha pale ale....YUMMMMMMMMM. Cascade and amarillo......BEAUTIFUL. Now I dont know if it is the cascade or amarillo i like....or BOTH. :) Will drink the wicked elf 2nite. That seems to be solely cascade, so that should sort my dilemma out :)

Will get my hands on some Pigs Fly, EPic Pale Ale and the ones Rogue mentioned. Looks like I am a cascade fan.

Thanks again guys, I still think I need to try TB advice and get some extracts from Ross....brilliant.

Rendo

went to dan murphys today......what a mistake left with several beers, wines,spirits...anyway

got some Alhpa Pale Ale, Wicked Elf Pale Ale, Pils Urquell (saaz hit), and several other beers, thanks for the suggestions guys.

I had fat yak on tap at the pub on the way home.....hmmmmmmm NOT a fan. I'll drink it, but yeah.....not a fan. I wonder if that is the amarillo or the cascade that just makes me go errrrrrrrrr....

I think LCBA is cascade and b-saaz and I love the stuff, so prob the amarillo I dont fancy

Will find out when I crack open the wicked elf...

CHEERS

From Brad Rogers (Original Alpha Ale Brewer via Thirsty Boy in 2007)

I guess as we've seen with other commercial beers (James Squire Golden Ale being one example) when hops are hard to source substitution and changes to the recipe do happen (ie. Amarillo in JSGA being substituted for other hops during shortages), so you may be right Adamski about the 2010 Alpha. But the 2007 one was quite a different beast.

Further discussions on Alpha's earlier recipe can be found here Alpha Pale Ale ( circa 2007)

Cheers :) Hopper

I suspect its more that the guys down at the Garage have changed the recipe - either just because they wanted too, or because they were looking to maintain the flavour profile and it was drifting ... it's also possible that Brad was spinning me a line because he doesn't know me from a bar of soap. If they are saying only Amarillo and Cascade now.... then thats what it is. Different day, different brewers... it'd just be boring if the beer stayed 100% the same anyway.

I thought Fat Yak was Nelson?

It's definitely cascade, I know because a) I can tell by tasting it and B) the brewers told me themselves at the beer awards expo. Bleh.

I think Epic pale ale may be mostly cascade as well, from memory.

EDIT: Oh someone already wrote about epic.

I'm not a fan of cascade hops personally, but I think they is cause I used to use them for pale ale, I drank too much of it and got sick of it, now I can't stand them.

Back